• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2, Why God

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We all like to rag on Top Gun. Plenty of it was Hollywood. But I bet a lot of guys in naval aviation that can't hardly stand to watch it anymore love other movies that are not any better. I'll admit that some of the scenes I love. Most of the flying and on deck stuff is great. If they do this I hope they are able to film some great flying sequences and not rely on CGI. The premise is workable. Today, in the airline biz, the emphasis is all about going back to basics. Too much button smashing. Too much reliance on automation. My brother in law instructs at Higher Power. He is a retired USAir check pilot, C-130 Nam guy and T-38 IP. He is reporting that right now the guys most in need of basic stick and rudder, power and pitch, are the military guys he is teaching. I can see an old salty Mav bitching about spotting the deck with the HUD, flying auto throttles on the ball, and not being able to employ a weapon using the FORCE.

Last edited:

speedroller

Rangers
bzf4i

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh. TG2 has "been happening" for years. Hiring another writer to take another pass at another script doesn't really mean much in Hollywood. Sometimes it happens because an exec takes it as his pet rock. Sometimes it's just to retain rights to a property. I'll believe it when they actually start filming it.

Sundevil106150

Eh. TG2 has "been happening" for years. Hiring another writer to take another pass at another script doesn't really mean much in Hollywood. Sometimes it happens because an exec takes it as his pet rock. Sometimes it's just to retain rights to a property. I'll believe it when they actually start filming it.
I see your point. You think there will be an influx of wannabes though like after the first Top Gun movie? Might be entertaining to see all of them try to get on AW and discuss what % get jets and what not :p. Maybe add to the parodies too that can be made as well. :D

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Assuming Maverick was a junior LT in the first movie at about 28 years old, he would be a terminal Captain or an Admiral in the sequel pushing 56 years old. I hope they maintain some type of continuity.

MV5BMTQ4NDIxNjU2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE4Njg0Mw@@._V1_SX67_CR0,0,67,98_AL_.jpg

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
If your interested in continuity, here's Charlie (who now bats for the other team). So, she'd be senior/retired SES by now, so that fits. That's gonna be one helluva a love scene...
MV5BMTQ4NDIxNjU2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE4Njg0Mw@@._V1_SX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Assuming Maverick was a junior LT in the first movie at about 28 years old, he would be a terminal Captain or an Admiral in the sequel pushing 56 years old. I hope they maintain some type of continuity.
Yeah, because back in the day we didn't have the sort of O-4 board results you have had lately . I am sure that now days Mav would be a 2xFOS LT given his record.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of a quote from Bogey and Bandits...

“Somewhere in every Navy ready room, stuffed in a locker among the stacks of videos that pilots watch to kill time between flying duty, is a much-viewed copy of Top Gun. It still gets played a lot. The pilots all know the film is silly. Farcical. Cartoonish. They love it.”

I will, of course, never admit to liking Top Gun. :D

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I think I read an AW post a while ago where someone said they would hypothetically rather see a prequel set in Vietnam where we find out what happened to "Duke" Mitchell. I agree wholeheartedly.