• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gear rides the Dragon Lady

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Pretty cool footage from a great show...hope this isn't a repost! This wasn't Huggy was it?? :)

Random Task

pilot
great post...so one question I have, since their outboard wheels "poop off" so to speak when taking off...does a wingtip always end up hitting the deck when they land?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They listen to rock when they fly...Led Zeppelin to be precise...just like the kid in Iron Eagle. Cool.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
We covered the U2 wheels/chase car on AW at some point; can't remember which thread.

jtmedli

pilot
Wow...now that's a view!!! And to think I was impressed the first time I went up in a Cessna.

HuggyU2

None
The second pilot interviewed, with the mustache, is Duster, and some of you might know him. He flew the EA-6B at Whidbey from around 1996-2000 as one of the USAF pilots there.
And Schnugg is correct: many of the guys put music though their ICS. We have rigged up an interface that goes between the iPod and the jet.
Zeppelin is a good choice, of course.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
How does the engine work at that altitude? It seems like there'd be so little air that it wouldn't be able to run.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
How does the engine work at that altitude? It seems like there'd be so little air that it wouldn't be able to run.

Same way it works on deck. The thrust lapse is substantial, but the drag is lower up there, too. The engine only really cares about very few conditions, and most of them are non-dimensional, like Mach number, fuel ratio, etc. So as long as the Mach number at the inlet is in the correct range, and the air/fuel mass flow ratio is maintained by the control system, the engine should run just fine, but you won't get a lot of thrust out of it because the mass flow is so low. I'm sure Huggy could speak to how it "really" works, but that's the idea from a "theory guy."