• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

too much fun over spring break...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinag12

Texas A&M Class of '06
About a year ago I got an MIP (which is a Class C misdemeanor) while in Austin over spring break. I took differed adjudication and had it "removed" from my record. My question is, will this come into effect when applying for OCS? Since it is technically not on my record anymore, I assume they probably can't find out, so is it worth mentioning when applying or should I just keep my mouth shut?

All of my other qualifications are lookin real good (good GPA, about 350 hours, CFI, good physical shape) and I really hope that a couple fun college partying days don't ruin my life-long dream of serving. Any input from people familiar with having violations and OCS applications would be great.

Gig 'em!

Kycntryboy

pilot
Keep your mouth shut, it may sound bad, but let them find out something and then you explain. Then to shed light on something they would have not found out about. You can always say you "didn't recall" it. gl

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You could be in some trouble if you don't volunteer that info. For starters, all officers need a secret clearance, and you have to fill out forms, part of which includes criminal record. If you decide not to volunteer that info, and they find out, they'll probably wonder about your character and wonder what other info you're keeping from them. Playing dumb is not an option, "don't recall" an offense? Please, these people aren't stupid. Your recruiter is going to ask you of any criminal offenses, and if you don't 'fess up then, it may come out on your background check.

It's up to you.

flyinag12

Texas A&M Class of '06
Thanks guys.

Let's say I decide to mention it when applying. How much will this affect whether I get accepted or not?

Most people applying probably have something on their record, so as long as it shows that the incident isn't reoccuring, I'm hoping they won't care too much...

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
If you got arrested, it will show up on your record. They found an arrest on my record i failed to mention because the charge was removed from my record. I was accepted before they found this, and did an investigation during my bckground check. It won't be a big deal, I would mention it.

Gig 'em Ags

Kycntryboy

pilot
Thisguy said:
You could be in some trouble if you don't volunteer that info. For starters, all officers need a secret clearance, and you have to fill out forms, part of which includes criminal record. If you decide not to volunteer that info, and they find out, they'll probably wonder about your character and wonder what other info you're keeping from them. Playing dumb is not an option, "don't recall" an offense? Please, these people aren't stupid. Your recruiter is going to ask you of any criminal offenses, and if you don't 'fess up then, it may come out on your background check.

It's up to you.

I do got a question about that I know that in least my case my background check isn't being performed until after final-sec. What would happen if they ever found out about something after that (my OSO told me it costs $3,000 to do it)? P.S. your advice does sound a lot better than mine, my sister has to write an explaination about possesion of alcohol while under 21, I'm going to see in the next couple weeks how detremental (spelling?) that is to her app.

flyinag12

Texas A&M Class of '06
There was no arrest. We just got the citation and had to show up for court within a few months. All they did was make me do 8 hrs community service, $200 fine, and take a alcohol awareness class.

JG, you go to A&M?

adam

SNA, VT-21
i had an mip in college, payed the fine, attended the required class, etc. i included it in my history on my application and it had no effect. i was accepted, commissioned, and am about six months from my wings. my advice to you is to be honest about it. say you were ticketed and it was cleared. it won't matter if the rest of your application is as you say it is.

hope this helps,
candy

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
flying,
Yep, fightin' class of '04. I would do what adam said and just be honest, if it was cleared then there should be no hang ups. Do you instruct at the flying club? What program are you applying for? Have you talked to a recruiter yet?

winsum121

Flyin,
I had the exact same situation. I put it on my app/security clearance and was accepted. Now in API. Don't sweat it.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
i was in anger management (for something that i don't want to talk about) in high school. they said that it would go into my permanent record if i didn't go, so i went; i was still accepted to rotc college-program and i said no to the "psychological problems" question. but in your case, i think you'll need to do it if it had something to do with the FEDs.

P_Durnin

Hey flyinag, LT boyanton is a pretty cool customer with this stuff. Definately tell him. I had an MIP on my record and it wasn't that big of a deal. I got my pro rec for a pilot spot and am headed for OCS in October.
good luck and gig'em '03

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't hide it, fess up to what happened. They will find it out sooner or later. We had a sailor kicked out for falsely enlisting. It was a lot more serious than what happened to you but not saying anything would indicate that you are dishonest, not something you want when applying to be an officer.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Question only similarly related to this... when do we get our security clearence? Submitted the EPSQ with final-docs, but do they wait until you're in OCS or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.