• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thoughts on the T-34

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know what your guys' issue is. It's all about proper seat pre-flight (or so I say). I've only had the seat drop on me once (okay, maybe twice). Fortunately it wasn't in one of those planes where you can't get it back up unless you get out. I hated those planes. Yet even after unstrapping, getting out, and strapping back in, I would still beat the stud to "Canopy-Closed and locked."

The issue is the POS seats, the old airplane, the bad canopy's, bad seats, bad seating position, etc. I've had the seats drop at least a dozen times. Then they won't come up. Maybe it just happens to those of us who weigh more than 200lbs? I'm 210-215 but naked (there's a vision for ya) and probably 230 with a flight suit, boots, gear, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The issue is the POS seats, the old airplane, the bad canopy's, bad seats, bad seating position, etc. I've had the seats drop at least a dozen times. Then they won't come up. Maybe it just happens to those of us who weigh more than 200lbs? I'm 210-215 but naked (there's a vision for ya) and probably 230 with a flight suit, boots, gear, etc.

I was really only half serious in my post, but here's food for thought. When I've had the seat go down, it's never been in a loop or higher-g maneuver. It happens either in the pattern or on take-off. I've had the seat that just didn't lock, but because I've only had a couple of instances, I was convinced my pre-flight method had merit (strap in, lift up on the seat w/ one hand on the lever, come down until you hear it click and fell the lever seat into the lock, then come up again to make sure it's actually locked).

You've obviously been less fortunate, and it is what it is. I'm just sayin' for the soon-to-be or current T-34 studs.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was really only half serious in my post, but here's food for thought. When I've had the seat go down, it's never been in a loop or higher-g maneuver. It happens either in the pattern or on take-off. I've had the seat that just didn't lock, but because I've only had a couple of instances, I was convinced my pre-flight method had merit (strap in, lift up on the seat w/ one hand on the lever, come down until you hear it click and fell the lever seat into the lock, then come up again to make sure it's actually locked).

You've obviously been less fortunate, and it is what it is. I'm just sayin' for the soon-to-be or current T-34 studs.

I can only recall maybe 2 students who had issues. One, the seat was all the way down on pre-flight and wouldn't come up. I also remember now my seat falling at the bottom of a loop. Might be my big ass :D

Huggy Bear

pilot
I remember that plane as fun and forgiving, but I had a bitch of a time learning how to taxi it my first few flights. I bagged a handful of backseat rides in it as a RAG instructor and was surprised how uncomfortable the seat was. I never remembered it hurting when I was a student. I definitely have more ass padding than when I was 22 so you think it would be the opposite.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
My memories of the T-34C always begin with my first flight. I spent more time cleaning up my puke than the flight lasted. IP was, of course, laughing. "don't worry...I puked each of my first 7 flights"

I never puked after that.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
T-34 is a blast, plain and simple. My ass, and especially lower back, hurt like hell after each flight, and I'm not a big guy. Nothing like doing the saddle walk back to the ready-room, ass and ballsack tingling with pins and needles after a 2.0+ hop.

Now THERE's an image for ya. ;)

I don't get motion sickness WHATsoever, but I can imagine that for those who do, this is probably the worst aircraft to fly, especially starting out. Hot and cramped, vibrating like hell and 4th in line behind the hold-short, inhaling the JP-5 fumes of everyone in front of you while ATC unfucks itself...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

I dunno about the weight thing. I've got 30 pounds on you and I never had any seat fail on me. Granted, you've had a lot more flights in it than I did, but never even had one feel loose.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
im 6'5 so what your saying is that im in for a world of hurt. how long do you fly it in primary?

About 89 hours and 50 flights. There are people at least as big as you flying it and have been for years. I know one guy that's at least 6'5" and is still flying them after retirement. Honestly, you're probably not going to notice any pain until the end of Primary when you start to have some sort of SA in the plane. There's much more important things to worry about.

Reactions: Tom

SMILE4BULLETS

we have an IP in VT-6, won't name names, but he is tall as hell. I mean like probably 6'6". I had worried about fitting in the front cockpit, but after seeing him I knew I'd be ok. You'll fit fine, the rudder pedals adjust a pretty good bit. I'm about 6'3" and I fit fine, except my ass kills me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Honestly, you're probably not going to notice any pain until the end of Primary when you start to have some sort of SA in the plane. There's much more important things to worry about.

Good point...I was going to say something, but after reading this I realized that I probably just have not even been paying attention (only finished Fam 4 today)

UMichfly

pilot
None
we have an IP in VT-6, won't name names, but he is tall as hell. I mean like probably 6'6". I had worried about fitting in the front cockpit, but after seeing him I knew I'd be ok. You'll fit fine, the rudder pedals adjust a pretty good bit. I'm about 6'3" and I fit fine, except my ass kills me.

He is fun as hell to fly with though because every time he shifts around, the entire f'ing plane moves. "Hey Sir, you mind sitting still for a few minutes back there? I'm trying to keep my stepdown :D"

As far as the "no pain 'til the end of primary" thing Gator, I can't agree there. I have had lots of Turboweenie induced asspain since Fam-1...and God knows I don't have the SA in the plane to be worrying about extraneous crap.