• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thoughts on the T-34

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Is being an IP for SNFOs seen as a bad thing, or is it viewed in the same light as being a Primary IP?

Don't think it matters. Probably much easier in my opinion. Some pilots like to fly with student pilots. I want the easy life (relatively speaking) my last few years.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Coming from a former Cessna jockey, the 34 is a blast. It doesn't matter that it gets smoked by everything else in the military's inventory, it's a fire breathing beast compared to everything that 90% of the civilian pilots out there. Add into the fact that once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly stable and predictable in spins and stalls which is fairly impressive considering how many dents are in them now. Yes it feels like it's trying to cripple you after two hours, smells bad, has terrible A/C which blows condensation all over you at times and doesn't look as cool as other planes but so what, knowing that you're flying the same planes as the majority of now wigned aviators to come before us is a cool feeling.

Flugelman

Contributor
I enjoyed the hell outta flying it. The plane isn't the Corvette of the sky but it's pretty capable and a lot more capable than I think most studs realize and are able to put the plane through. It's a shame we don't do more aerobatics in it.

When the C model was coming in a couple of our pilots from VX-1 went to P-Cola to do the formal Op-Eval on it. They came back singing praises and said they "kicked ass" with the T-28's which were the primary training aircraft at the time.

MasterBates

The 60 has AC? Thought it was a smoke machine to make you THINK you had AC.

On a side note, the 45's AC kinda sucks til you power up on takeoff, but it's pretty good after that.

Kycntryboy

pilot
The plane was fun to fly...the seat sucked so much ass it was ridiculous. There was not one flight where my ass wasn't numb. It became better once they started cutting straps of harnesses. The T-45 seats are way better and your sitting on a f'n rocket. Why they couldn't have put a better seat in a non-ejection a/c is beyond me.

MasterBates

I preferred the 34s seat to the 45. Just me.

I do like the "magic handle" feature of the 45. Bad day? Pull the handle and the problem (hopefully) goes away.

Bolter

pilot
I think my favorite thing about the T-34 was when the seat would spontaneously drop to the floor, leaving you with nothing but a view of the steam gauges. Now I get to fly the Harrier, where the gauges just fall off in your lap instead.

Reactions: Tom

Rubiks06

pilot
The bright shiny new ones ac works quiet well. Granted its not 198 degrees in the gulf here.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think my favorite thing about the T-34 was when the seat would spontaneously drop to the floor, leaving you with nothing but a view of the steam gauges. Now I get to fly the Harrier, where the gauges just fall off in your lap instead.

Absolutely one of my favorite aspects of the T-34C. I especially love it when you're at rotation and the seat drops right to the bottom stop.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I know it's not the greatest in the pattern on a summer day, but I'd love to have the T-34 A/C in the -60.
All I can hope for is that the 60's vents aren't in "range" of someone who gets airsick, like the 34 where if the guy in the morning lets his breakfast go, it'll be blowing back on everyone else for the rest of the day.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
All I can hope for is that the 60's vents aren't in "range" of someone who gets airsick, like the 34 where if the guy in the morning lets his breakfast go, it'll be blowing back on everyone else for the rest of the day.

I doubt someone who continues to get airsick would make it that far to fly the 60.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I doubt someone who continues to get airsick would make it that far to fly the 60.

Never say never. I know one guy who was a chronic puker until the HTs. Even then, he said he'd get queasy sometimes in the -57. He went on to fly the -60B. I've never asked him how he did underway. Not like a Bravo deploys on anything that moves around a lot...oh wait.

Absolutely one of my favorite aspects of the T-34C. I especially love it when you're at rotation and the seat drops right to the bottom stop.

I don't know what your guys' issue is. It's all about proper seat pre-flight (or so I say). I've only had the seat drop on me once (okay, maybe twice). Fortunately it wasn't in one of those planes where you can't get it back up unless you get out. I hated those planes. Yet even after unstrapping, getting out, and strapping back in, I would still beat the stud to "Canopy-Closed and locked."

Pags

N/A
pilot

Don't worry, the 60's vents aren't positioned to be good for anything. In fact, the air isn't even there for you, it's there for the computers.