• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Those sought-after Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erk183

I have a question about jets/fighters. It seems that everyone and their dog who goes through naval aviation starts out wanting jets. Are there a significant amount of people who desire... helos for instance? Is this overwhelming desire for jets because it is truly the most rewarding platform or because the new guys are ignorant about the aiframe and think they're gonna live like Tom Cruise in Top Gun? Also... is the competition for jets always this fierce in the Navy? Or is it just because the pipeline is currently clogged... will it ever unclog?

LadyJayUSN

-Manning is like a pendulum, just remember what goes up, must come down....eventually. And you usually see a corrolation(sp?) with the airlines....if they are hiring, so to is the Navy.
-At one point in time, I actually had a thing for wanting to be Goose, but then he dies.
-And yes, my overwhelming desire for jets is because I believe it is truly the most rewarding platform. BUT! Then again, the CO of my last enlisted command was an S-3 guy, C-2 pilots get a really great deal on deployment 'cause for the most part, they don't stay on the boat (and they pick up mad per-diem), and I honestly believe that it takes better piloting to be a really, really, good helo bubba. I'm just interested in flying Mach 3 with my hair on fire and blowing s**t up.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by LadyJayUSNI honestly believe that it takes better piloting to be a really, really, good helo bubba.
icon_smile.gif
[:D] [8D]
icon_smile_wink.gif
[8] [^]

<<tali264 says i love the dolphins>>

Ray

^ what he said ^

FYI: There is one helo FTI and its about thumb thick. I have about nine FTI's. Not to mention trapping on a pitching deck at night in bad weather.

VT-22 T-45A TS
Currently: Phase 1/Mod 1

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by Ray
Not to mention trapping on a pitching deck at night in bad weather.
It's definitely challenging, especically with the RAST probe and no cable, but guys who develop good hover scans over theback of the ship eventually get pretty good at it.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Ray

You know what I meant. I just wish I could fly an ILS approach at 40 knots.

VT-22 T-45A TS
Currently: Phase 1/Mod 1

LadyJayUSN

Umm, yeah....gotta go with Ray on that one....
There is something to say about a pilot who can free-hand a landing on a 1/4 mile runway with 7 degree roll and less than a mile visbility at 180 knots.

Great balls of fire!

marcurb

Poor poor Raymond, I am sooooooo sorry that you are in such a crappie job, I would just hate being a navy jet pilot...NOT!! Quit crying about it and love it man, what is wrong with you anyway? Sniveling little....

"Gentlemen: All the Branches of the Service are 'Honorable and Noble.' Each one of you has served your country well. Be proud of that."

(signed) GOD, USN (Ret)

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
Don't forget about those in-flight meals cooked by the reel operator and those dreaded 25 day deployments. It only took about 2 weeks of the T-34 for me to realize that pissing in a tube and not being able to stretch your legs when you want to (or go lay down for that matter) wasn't where I wanted to be for the next few years. More power to the guys who want to fly little jets, I am sure that they are plenty fun.

LadyJayUSN

Actually, the best kept secret are the Roughnecks out of Tinker...737-300 series trainers that the Navy has recently implemented into the E-6 pipeline. Rumor has it the Navy has made several 737 purchases to replace not only the old 707, but the C-9 skytrain as well.

grouch

I see 737s with navy dress all the time go into Carswell JRB. Don't know anything about them. I guess they come from Tinker.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
The rumors are true. They're phasing out the C-9 with the 737... But that's USNR...

LadyJayUSN

Well, TAR...which is technically USNR, but ask the TAR's on my old boat if they were reservist and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.