• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking about getting a new snake

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
So a stupid question about naval aviation life.... I was recently thinking about getting a new snake, but then I got to thinking that in two three years from now (I'm in BDCP) I will be required to go over seas for long periods of time.

Is there any kind of animal care facility or does anyone have a pet that they have gone through this with?

Obviously the easiest and obvious answer is to not get one but it someone out there has made it work, I'd love to hear how and if you recommend it. The snake I'm looking at lives around 40 years so I definitely need to think ahead.

Stupid I know. But still I ask in hopes I might be surprised. I have been a avid snake lover since I was young.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So a stupid question about naval aviation life.... I was recently thinking about getting a new snake, but then I got to thinking that in two three years from now (I'm in BDCP) I will be required to go over seas for long periods of time.

Is there any kind of animal care facility or does anyone have a pet that they have gone through this with?

Obviously the easiest and obvious answer is to not get one but it someone out there has made it work......I have been a avid snake lover since I was young.

There was actually a thread on this very subject a while ago, here it is. To summarize it, all the guys who didn't have a clue the answer was usually "Sure, why not?". They then got annoyed when the more experienced guys said "Hell no". There are no Navy facilities that take care of pets, the only help you will get will be from your family and friends.

I knew two people that had pets in fleet squadrons, one had a dog and one a cat. The cat guy left the furball with his parents when he deployed, often for longer due to the deployment/work-up schedule. He went close to a year without seeing it once, not really a pet anymore at that point. The other was a gal who had a dog, don't know all the details but she had the wife of another aviator keep it when she was gone. As for snakes, haven't heard of that one yet.......

But while they made it 'work' it is very difficult to keep a pet if you are single in the Navy, especially in aviation. The last thing the others guys in your squadron need to hear, especially the CO/XO, is for you say you can't do a cross-country/repo/exercise because you don't have anyone to care for Fido/Fluffy/Snakey. And because no one ever pulls that card, your buddies will likely not be enthused when they get a call on Friday evening asking them to take care of the aforementioned pet for the weekend. Don't be that guy.

So simple advice, don't get a pet if you are single. If you must, then wait until you get to fleet squadron and then decide if it is still somethign you think you can do.

And snakes? Really? The only people I knew who had snakes were either a bit 'off', creepy or both.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
There was actually a thread on this very subject a while ago, here it is. ....

... Don't be that guy....

....And snakes? Really? The only people I knew who had snakes were either a bit 'off', creepy or both.

Thanks for the link. I was following that topic for a bit but I didn't get to the part where the pertinent info started.

Yeah, I've pretty much decided not to get one at this point. You helped solidify my assumptions.

Everyone I know with a snake is just plain weird. I don't know why, but they have been my favorite animal since I was a kid. Something about a animal that starts in your hand and grows till its stronger and bigger than you and lasts for forty years is amazing to me. If you never have had a snake it's hard to describe the chemistry you get with it. I think I'm just coming off as creepy so lets just stop here..

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I don't know why, but they have been my favorite animal since I was a kid.

Hmmm...ok.

Something about a animal that starts in your hand and grows till its stronger and bigger than you and lasts for forty years is amazing to me. If you never have had a snake it's hard to describe the chemistry you get with it.

OMG.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I nearly peed myself when I read that. Thank you for filling my double entendre quota for the day.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
According to the commercials, you're supposed to seek medical assistance if it lasts that long.

Only after four hours.

You mean that you could go on? There is more than the "chemistry" thing? By the way, you passed 'creepy' awhile back.

How did I know this would backfire? haha. Actually reading over what I wrote it does sounds pretty damn funny. I should of just said it was a pit bull puppy or something.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did I know this would backfire? haha. Actually reading over what I wrote it does sounds pretty damn funny. I should of just said it was a pit bull puppy or something.

Funny, not. Creepy, heck yes. BTW, there are plenty of snakes in the cockpit from time to time. Best focus on playing with those.

Pilot123

pilot
It really creeps me out to think of someone having "chemistry" with a snake. I can't think of an animal I dislike more than snakes, except for maybe spiders....especially the big furry kind...

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Only after four hours.

I had a Ball Python (2 years old) up until about a month ago that I had had since she was about 6 months old. I tried my best to figure out ways to take care of her, but I know that during Flight school and moves and all the training and deployments, it'd be tougher to feed her on a regular schedule and take care of her. Not to mention just finding a place to take care of her while I'm at OCS would be hard enough.

There are places to buy food for her around where I live and the same place I got her would even take care of her when i went on vacation for a few days or a week. However, finding places to do that are few and far between and even though snakes are easy to take care of, people (as you have seen from the responses) aren't as ready to take care of them...especially while you're on deployments. And I can probably safely say if you do find someone to watch it, they probably won't be too excited to feed it.

Take all of that into consideration but its up to you. I sold mine to another owner who I know is gonna take great care of her, which is what mattered most to me. Traveling across the country with a snake is a bit harder than doing it with a dog or cat.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I had a Ball Python (2 years old) ....I can probably safely say if you do find someone to watch it, they probably won't be too excited to feed it.

Isn't this what crawl spaces are for? :D:D:D

Traveling across the country with a snake is a bit harder than doing it with a dog or cat.

HAHAHAHA All I'm thinking of:

"I've had it with these motherfvcking snakes on this motherfvcking plane!!!!!!!!"

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Funny, not. Creepy, heck yes. BTW, there are plenty of snakes in the cockpit from time to time. Best focus on playing with those.

To each his own. However, it's pretty clear I will not be getting one at this point. I already have a bigger commitment.

It really creeps me out to think of someone having "chemistry" with a snake. I can't think of an animal I dislike more than snakes...

Too bad, snakes are actually one of the greatest pets. I once had a snake that escaped from his cage. Almost a month later, I came home to find him sitting on his cage; I know dogs who don't do that.

I had a Ball Python (2 years old) up until about a month ago that I had had since she was about 6 months old....... people (as you have seen from the responses) aren't as ready to take care of them...especially while you're on deployments. .

Thanks for some advice from experience. Yeah I can tell not too many people on here like them.

indiana_jones_snakes.jpg