• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Warrants have arrived

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Piggy backing... being Skipper requires tough decisions to be made. One of those is of course whether to fly or not after a mishap. Having experience in the platform (and in flight itself) lends itself well to being able to rationally come to a decision. Beyond management, even the daily issues of manpower, operations, supply, and "general problem solving" vary greatly from one platform to another. Having that stick time really puts it all into perspective and provides a historical backdrop to the decisions made. So yeah, I agree with Bunk.

Damn straight. Afterall, I lied and told the front office you were a good pilot and officer. You owe me :D

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn straight. Afterall, I lied and told the front office you were a good pilot and officer. You owe me :D

I'm sure I do. I'll buy you a beer the next time I'm in P-cola.

But for the record, I'm a very good pilot.

alwyn2nd

My prediction will find the program an absolute success for the Navy leadership. They will further make changes.

The Navy should/will make the following changes.

1) Prior enlisted experience/college not required.

2) Minimum age 20 or even 18 and meeting the OCS
requirements other than college.

3) Possibly make a private pilot license a requirement for
the perspective Warrant Officer candidates and start
them at the pay grade of W-1.

4) With the above changes, the Navy will always have
more than enough qualified applicants beating
down the hatches.

Reasons on going with youth. They are easier to train, in better physical condition with quicker reflexes and can be retained on flying duty for a longer period of time, with consequent reduction of training cost.

The Navy will come around to the way of Army thinking on aviation. It just getting started. If you want flying time go Warrant.

It's a start of a new day in Naval Aviation. This program will be successful.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reasons on going with youth. They are easier to train,

Easier to train than who, college graduates? How will these younger students do on the book/memorization/testing side of naval air training? They have not gone through college and therefore have not proved that they are capable to the level required to fly (not to be confused with the duties of a naval aircrewman)

in better physical condition with quicker reflexes and can be retained on flying duty for a longer period of time, with consequent reduction of training cost.

Or the attention span will be less. ;) And physical condition plays an incredibly minor role compared to skill. In terms of retainment on flying duty, the limiting factor has not been age when taken over a 20 year career. It's the other duties getting in the way that preclude one from staying in the cockpit (with some exceptions).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My prediction will find the program an absolute success for the Navy leadership. They will further make changes.

The Navy should/will make the following changes.

1) Prior enlisted experience/college not required.

2) Minimum age 20 or even 18 and meeting the OCS
requirements other than college.

3) Possibly make a private pilot license a requirement for
the perspective Warrant Officer candidates and start
them at the pay grade of W-1.

4) With the above changes, the Navy will always have
more than enough qualified applicants beating
down the hatches.

Reasons on going with youth. They are easier to train, in better physical condition with quicker reflexes and can be retained on flying duty for a longer period of time, with consequent reduction of training cost.

The Navy will come around to the way of Army thinking on aviation. It just getting started. If you want flying time go Warrant.

It's a start of a new day in Naval Aviation. This program will be successful.

My prediction is that the Navy will give the "program" another couple years, then trash it, just like it has done in the past.

Brett

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Reasons on going with youth. They are easier to train, in better physical condition with quicker reflexes

Reflexes are an extremely small part of the equation. By the time you are at the FRS you should almost never have to devote more than 5% of your brain to the monkey skills.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

And IF all your "recommendations" were to come true and the above is the case, it would be absolutely detrimental to the aviation officer corps. It's already hard enough to advanced past O-3/DH (for the time being), but taking even more flying jobs away would drive non-warrant officers out even more so than what's currently happening.

Damn it, you've made me contribute to a warrant thread, which is only slightly less annoying than a political thread.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And IF all your "recommendations" were to come true and the above is the case, it would be absolutely detrimental to the aviation officer corps. It's already hard enough to advanced past O-3/DH (for the time being), but taking even more flying jobs away would drive non-warrant officers out even more so than what's currently happening.

Damn it, you've made me contribute to a warrant thread, which is only slightly less annoying than a political thread.

It's unbelievable how things go in cycles. Not to long ago, O-4 and DH were automatic (unless you committed a crime). Now, I hear all these bad stories. The civilians I work for were forced retired as O-4's back in the mid 90's. Didn't make O-5, done, gone. I know one officer, a retired O-5 who said his only EP came during his DH tour, a #2 and he picked up O-5. One break out (somewhat) tour and he makes O-5. Such is life in the Navy.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My prediction is that the Navy will give the "program" another couple years, then trash it, just like it has done in the past.

Brett

What do you think they'd do with the warrants they already trained?

Lawman

None
What do you think they'd do with the warrants they already trained?

Retain them on a special designator till they all get out maybe?

I guess the other option would be the whole blue/red pill choice of go through some kind of officer program and cross over as an ensign with all that time served and no grade to show for it or get out. I think if they went that way a lot of guys would tell them to shove it and go take a look down the street at ANG or other options.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None

I find that even at my age, I sometimes have difficulty getting the learning point across to younger cohorts, I'm often in better physical condition, and have more long-term career prospects as they're prone to doing some really dumb things.

So much for that theory.