• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
watched all the fighter fling videos today while we were strike planning in memoriam

HazeGray

Smoke On!
I know few things as surely as I know that U.S. Navy carrier-based pilots are the best in the world.

The "best of the best" always!
Now I close my eyes and hear the clack, clack, clack of the shuttle as it moves aft for the next launch. The exhaust from the powerful and reliable F-110 engines fills my nostrils until we drop the canopy and bring our jet to life.
I will always love that smell. *tear*
And then - even after decades of doing the same thing - the adrenaline starts to flow as we go through the deck dance unique to the Tomcat: The nose strut compresses, giving the fighter the look of a rail dragster; the launch bar comes down. Wings spread. Flaps lower.
The thought just gets my blood pumping again.

We're flying a Tomcat. And we're getting paid to do it.
:D :D :D :D:D:D:D

"Those were real fighter squadrons." And they were. Jolly Rogers, Swordsmen, Pukin' Dogs, Grim Reapers, Diamondbacks - mascots of an adventure.
VF-84 forever!

At the center of it all was the airplane itself, and when an airplane has so much heart, personality, and character it ceases to be inanimate to those who climb into it on a regular basis.

So goodbye, Big Fighter, blessed protector of the American way and our hides. We who knew you well will miss your class, your swagger, your raw power. Even in the face of technological advances you bowed to no other.

Thanks for the memories. They are indeed the stuff of novels.
A perfect rendition

Im at a loss for words about how I feel about her. To me she was more beautiful than a woman, and more meaner than anything god had created.

Sad cannot describe my feelings. She was what made me love the Navy.

I loved and will always love that airplane as if it were a part of me.

SALUTE! - ALWAYS BABY!

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Awesome article! The Tomcat really sparked my interest in military aviation, and will be missed. Thanks for the post.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
UInavy said:
Were you a Tomcat pilot?

does it matter?

I never was nor will be a Tomcat pilot but I'm sad to see the jet go. Do I have to be a Tomcat pilot to be saddened by its lost?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
UInavy said:
Did I ever say it mattered?? It was a legitimate question. Some of the statements made me think that maybe he had been. I was just curious. Chill out, dude.

you know what, nevermind

I detected some sarcasm

maybe my sarcasm meter is borked

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
does it matter?

I never was nor will be a Tomcat pilot but I'm sad to see the jet go. Do I have to be a Tomcat pilot to be saddened by its lost?

I think UI was asking because of the past tense that Hazegrey used but has nothing regarding that in the profile. I'm willing to go out on a limb here that there wasn't any raising of the nose in his post. Or it could be that the tone of some posters who used ill-fitting pictures with very dramatic language yet had nothing to do with the community got his goat.:)

It does make me sad that the thing which, in my Top Gun influenced eyes, symbolized Naval aviation is leaving. I guess that puts an end to going down to Pearl to sneak peeks when a carrier comes to visit...I need hobbies. :(

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
UInavy said:
Why, could you hear the tone of my voice? It was a damn question. Why are you so ready to jump on me? Is it my hair? Because I have really nice hair.

stupid wavy locks :p

HazeGray

Smoke On!
goodness sakes! a guy goes to get somthing to eat and the has to defend his actions. fellas fellas were all on the same team here.

no not a f-14 driver. biggest dissapointment in my life. didnt get in soon enough. but have been around them plenty to think in my head that i was :D

i guess my words could have been better but i stand by what i said.

enough about you.....enough about me.....back to topic (heck if a mod wants to get rid of these posts..........go ahead)

this is a celebration............of sorts

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HazeGray said:
goodness sakes! a guy goes to get somthing to eat and the has to defend his actions. fellas fellas were all on the same team here.

no not a f-14 driver. biggest dissapointment in my life. didnt get in soon enough. but have been around them plenty to think in my head that i was :D

i guess my words could have been better but i stand by what i said.

enough about you.....enough about me.....back to topic (heck if a mod wants to get rid of these posts..........go ahead)

this is a celebration............of sorts

Back to topic then. VF-213 and VF-31 are having a busy last cruise with their F-14Ds. Tomcat is going out with head held high. The Sunset Ceremony in Sept (see separate thread on that) has a basic premise of "no tears" (A-6 Retirement Ceremony was very morose at times and tears were flowing freely). Tomcat has had a great run...35 years and counting in US Navy (who know how long Iranians will keep theirs flying) service and on the first string!

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Well, looks like the Navy has a somewhat better plan in mind for the old Tomcat fellas than the Intruders... a few RIOs running around in VF-14, -143, -31 may have disagreed, but overall the Tomcat community seems content with the way the transition has gone...

Anytime, baby!

usn_tomcat.JPG

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
I think UI was asking because of the past tense that Hazegrey used but has nothing regarding that in the profile. I'm willing to go out on a limb here that there wasn't any raising of the nose in his post. Or it could be that the tone of some posters who used ill-fitting pictures with very dramatic language yet had nothing to do with the community got his goat.:) :(

Rayuki...WTF are you saying here. I have no idea what you just said. Dumb it down for us local folk...you know morons.

G

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Rayuki...WTF are you saying here. I have no idea what you just said. Dumb it down for us local folk...you know morons.

G

or those in temporary state of reduced IQ due to adult beverages or lack of sleep or both!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Well, looks like the Navy has a somewhat better plan in mind for the old Tomcat fellas than the Intruders... a few RIOs running around in VF-14, -143, -31 may have disagreed, but overall the Tomcat community seems content with the way the transition has gone...

Anytime, baby!

usn_tomcat.JPG

I don't think there is any real dissatisfaction in the transitioning squadrons at all. I get a lot of interaction with Super Hornet transition guys and as the last skipper of VFA-122 told me as we watched a Super Hornet demo "I loved every minute of my time in the Tomcat, but I've never looked back". And that isn't because he "drank the kool-aid" either. Most guys tell me the ideal situation is have to have flown both and for a new guy, to have a deployment in Toms followed by a transition. The Super Hornet is a great weapons systems platform and most weapons deliveries today are from an integrated system. With JHMCS, Link 16, all the J weapons and more, HARM, ATLFIR, AMRAAM and soon, AIM-9X, and a legacy of MSI in the weapon system as well as being new so it stays up, it is a potent weapons platform. The Tomcat has had 35 years on the front line. No other Naval fighter has had that long a legacy (F-4 barely made it to twenty when last units transitioned to Tomcat and it was being replaced just after 10 years.