• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Guy there was "Abi," can't remember his last name... Good dude. I was just taken aback when he said they didn't tolerate swearing in class, and wondered how any pilots, mil or civilian, would deal with a no-swearing policy.

A7Dave

pilot
If you are a fighter guy, have the cash and the time, get the 737 type with one of the reputable outfits. I used my (then very crappy) Montgomery GI bill to pay half the cost. It was great training and served me well in my interview simulator (not with SWA). Every advantage you can afford is worth it. It doesn't stamp you as wanting to only fly with SWA.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
How long does it take the average person to accrue enough time at a regional to apply for the majors?
To apply - a couple of years. To be competative - many more with no real answer. It depends on how much you fly, how quick you upgrade to Captain, what major hiring is like at that point in time, etc. I went from flying VFR Grand Canyon tours to a major in 3 years but I know many that are now in their 10th year at a regional. And while I spent 5 years furloughed from my major, they were upgrading to Captain at their regional. It's all a crap shoot with networking and timing being everything (and timing is can't really be controlled).

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
To apply - a couple of years. To be competative - many more with no real answer. It depends on how much you fly, how quick you upgrade to Captain, what major hiring is like at that point in time, etc. I went from flying VFR Grand Canyon tours to a major in 3 years but I know many that are now in their 10th year at a regional. And while I spent 5 years furloughed from my major, they were upgrading to Captain at their regional. It's all a crap shoot with networking and timing being everything (and timing is can't really be controlled).

Thanks for the reply. I may end up losing my NFO FS due to my wrist so I am researching alternatives now in case Navy Med says NOGO. I will probably use ATPs fast track program if I do lose it so I can get to "The Show" a little quicker. I think the best thing is to build up time as fast as I can and that is why I asked. I am trying to gauge the best route to build my time up the fastest. So do you think a regional does a good job or is there a better route?

Concerning the networking I should be alright. I have some family and friends at the majors.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You will build time at a regional far quicker than you will at a corporate job. Plus I think guys coming from a regional have a better shot at a major than they do coming from corporate as a regional does the same type of flying.

A7Dave

pilot
The number one thing you need to do at a regional is make the left seat and bag hours. Corporate can be a gold mine, but you'll rarely get as many hours as at a regional. BUT, the majors look at PIC, not SIC. Don't waste your time at a place where you're not going to upgrade.

The pay stinks, but you can fly 1000 hours a year at a lot of places.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The number one thing you need to do at a regional is make the left seat and bag hours. Corporate can be a gold mine, but you'll rarely get as many hours as at a regional. BUT, the majors look at PIC, not SIC. Don't waste your time at a place where you're not going to upgrade.

The pay stinks, but you can fly 1000 hours a year at a lot of places.
What he says and ALWAYS what HAL says.. Also build that resume (this applies to both military and civilian); get as many quals and discriminators as you can... NATOPS checker, LCA, Sim instructor, anything and everything!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thanks gentlemen I truly appreciate the advice. Is there any type ratings, etc that look better than others?

JeremiahWeed

"The Show" :rolleyes: Maybe "The Circus" - but mo' definitely NOT "The Show".

You guys crack me up....... You're in "The Show" right now and I'm sure you all know it.
Cheers - Keep up the good work.