• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The airlines probably were a good gig in the pre-deregulation days ....
.....Flying is a very small portion of the "job" and quality of life issues, pay, benefits and domiciles all factor into making airline flying a not-so-great-gig...
It depends on who you fly for. My airline gig is great!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flying is a very small portion of the "job" and quality of life issues, pay, benefits and domiciles all factor into making airline flying a not-so-great-gig...
Really, just what do you do when you go to work? I fly. Yes, I have to update pubs couple times a month, do a minor amount of flight planning, pre flight the plane, liaison with flight attendants, etc. But all that is done in less than an hour. Then I fly. The "job" is flying. All the rest you mention comes with the job. Some good some bad. Depends on the carrier. If you just want to fly, park the brakes and go home with no after stress, paperwork or responsibilities, then find an airline job where all the rest, pay, bennies, location, scheduling, is tolerable. If you can't, the job isn't for you. If fewer and fewer are saying the job may not be for them, I totally understand.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
What HAL said.. Different company but mine is a great gig..

What Wink said.. But don't have to update my pubs, deal with flight attendant (except when deadheading)...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While the "Golden Years" as an airline pilot may be long gone, it still remains one of the best "gigs" around, regardless if you are either brutally logical or wistfully idealistic... or both - despite all the industry's changes.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, I'd be the brutally logical and critical type. But in the end the real test is, whould you trade it for another job, even one with equal pay and bennies. I wouldn't. I would absolutely trade it for retirement though. I'd leave earlier if I could but won't fly past 60 for anything. It is a great job. But it is a job, and more so every day. I love flying, not especially today's airline flying.

alwyn2nd

It should be the one of the best UNION jobs going. Without the union, management would have pluck you off one at a time regarding salary and work rules. Who says Unions are bad for business? Wasn't me. There are always PILOTS that will fly for less and UNIONS know that as a simple fact of life.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Best part of the job? Walking out of the Crewroom, walking to the parking lot and driving 5 minutes to my house:) No more commuting for this AW!

Kaman

KROA...Old Southwest area downtown, very close to airport. Walk to my car from the Crewroom takes longer than my drive:) For you guys that are considering the airlines, I'd talk to your buddies about schedules post-FAR 117. Ours are considerably worse, and if you are a commuter and sitting reserve...I hope you don't mind living to work.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
KROA...Old Southwest area downtown, very close to airport. Walk to my car from the Crewroom takes longer than my drive:) For you guys that are considering the airlines, I'd talk to your buddies about schedules post-FAR 117. Ours are considerably worse, and if you are a commuter and sitting reserve...I hope you don't mind living to work.
Can you please expand? I am actively looking for a job in "the show" and would love some insight. Shorter but more frequent work days? Longer hotel waits? How does it affect reserve days?

Kaman

The dynamics of the airline industry have always been fluid, and this is especially the case now. Since the signing of the "Airline Safety Improvement Act" the airlines have been scrambling and fighting ever since to adapt to it's three major provisions. First, FAR Part 117 addressing crew rest requirements, Second, an ATP w/PIC type rating in airplane being flown by the FO and last but not least, AQP/CQP. The biggie is FAR 117, because it is a total re-tooling of our previous rest rules.
FAR 117 is creating angst, because in many cases pilots are seeing less days off, less schedules that are commutable and trips that are unproductive in terms of pay credit. For example, I am a line holder with 11 days off and all the trips are only commutable at the end of the trips and only have 2-days off in between. If you don't live in-base and have a 2-leg commute...You are F***ED. If you are on reserve, it is even worse! Reserve just sux period, but commuting to it with two days off in between 5-6 day stints really sucks. I want you to understand, I am not whining...I have been doing this airline gig for 10-years, and compared to being an AW2 on sea duty was a PIECE OF CAKE and A LOT more FUN!
My suggestion would be to glean as much information from your buddies that are in the airlines already or know people in the airlines...I cannot say that there is any kind of "secret formula", but I'd say live where you really want to live and accept that you might have to commute. The up side is that if they don't change the retirement age...again...there is a very large number of pilots retiring from the legacy carriers.
The airlines are not what I would call an employee friendly industry, but you will work with some very good people the vast majority of the time...If you are getting out of the military, I'd highly recommend maintaining an active reserve status, so you have another income stream and an alternative if things go south and you have to deal with the dreaded furlough...

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Good gig?

I think so.

I have one of the best hotel pen collections in America...pictured below is just a fraction of my collection.

That is all.

:cool:

It's a good gig. I'm 2nd year at FedEx (99.5% senioriry within the company) and this was my first month with a real paid vacation. After working some contractual vacation magic, I will work all of four days this month. FedEx plus Uncle Sugar will be just north of $13K for March.

Sadly, my hotel pen collection will suffer as I won't work much. Also, the condo in Kauai, HI didn't have pens. For eight days I looked there for a pen but I only found a pencil. Pencil? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Home now and resting my liver for "work." I've only got ten more days to get ready.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FAR 117 has played hell on our skeds. The USAirways guys I have talked to don't like it. The Delta guy I talked to hates it. Couple of regional airline guys also said it sucks. The SWA guys I have talked to so far said they haven't seen much difference. We are working more days to get the same time flying less productive trips that give us less time at home. Thank you ALPA!!!! Be careful what you wish for. Somehow it is supposed to be good for us to have less time at home where you really do get good rest (own bed, real food, correct time zone) in exchange for an extra hour in a hotel on a crappy unproductive trip. FlyBoyd, don't you let ALPA bring FAR117 to all cargo ops. I know you guys have special challenges, but -117 IS NOT THE ANSWER!! Not for us not for cargo.

Last edited: