• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Sack Lunches

Lobster

This was emailed to me, thought this was a very cool story to share, (I did a search and this didn't turn up as being posted before, mods if it has already been posted I apologize) especially with veterans day being tomorrow.

The Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me. ' Chicago - to Great Lakes Base. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Iraq '

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached Chicago , and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time. As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to Chicago ' His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?'
'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars. Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, an said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' ; I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm. When we landed in Chicago I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.' Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals.

It seemed so little...

http://www.veteranstoday.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3876

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the great story! And thanks to all who have served, are serving or will someday serve this great country of ours. Especially to our brothers and sisters deployed overseas.

sickboy

pilot
Once there was a young HN who was trying to buy a six pack. Being only 19 and having a cop behind him, he was pretty freaked out. The cop asked for his ID, the HN presented his military ID and was promptly treated to a case by the cop. This is how I fell in love with Jacksonville NC.

This story doesn't have much to do with the other one, I just thought of it when I read this.

Then there was the time before the birthday ball three years ago where a bunch of us went into Applebees for lunch. We were all in uniform. An older gentleman bought steaks for all the Marines. I had to take a cut of everyone else's steaks. Sometimes I don't think people care about sailors as much.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Damn. . .from a purely monetary standpoint, that is a better investment plan than any of my mutual funds.:eek:

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After 9/11 occurred my carrier the John C. Stennis pulled into Coronado on Sept 22nd.

I met my wife and kids at a small cafe on Orange Ave. in Coronado for lunch with our two kids. I was in my wash khakis and flight jaclket.

We were back together as family after my being out on the boat for nearly 3 weeks through 9/11 and the aftermath. We talked a bit about current events but mostly tried to enjoy our time sitting at the counter on the spinning chairs with the kids (then age 3 and 5). We chatted briefly with an older man and his wife seated nearby.

When it came time for us to leave, I asked the lady working the grill for our check. She said the man who just left had paid it in full. This was the guy sitting besides us that we we just being friendly to a few minutes earlier. I wen to the door but he was gone already.

I still remember that act to this day, and have done the same for someone else.

It's good karma.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... I asked the lady working the grill for our check. She said the man who just left had paid it in full. This was the guy sitting besides us ... a few minutes earlier...
Not tryin' to pat myself on the back, but I've done this on several occasions . I've moved guys up to first/business on the airline, too. Just for CG considerations, you understand. :D

Living in a military area, I obviously can't be doin' it every day, or I may as well adopt 'em and take 'em home ... :) ... but I still do it on occasion when it seems "right". I do it for cops, too ... as it makes me feel like I'm making a contribution to the overall effort.

And it's a way to say: "THANKS".

I figure it's the least I can do since I'm not "in" anymore ... :)

brownshoe

Contributor
These stories are very nice. I do the same myself today. However, when I was “in” during the 60’s times were different. We were spat upon, called names and generally looked down on. God bless the airlines though. I was never bumped traveling standby.;) The food was great and the drinks were always free.:)

Let me hoist one to all those that have served and those that are serving. Thanks!

Steve

Lobster

These stories are very nice. I do the same myself today. However, when I was “in” during the 60’s times were different. We were spat upon, called names and generally looked down on. God bless the airlines though. I was never bumped traveling standby.;) The food was great and the drinks were always free.:)

Let me hoist one to all those that have served and those that are serving. Thanks!

Steve

I took a course on Vietnam this summer and it was really heartbreaking to hear things like this. Unbelievable to think people could do things like that to the very men that provide them the right too. I was privelaged enough to be able to meet vets from that era too and i was brought to tears every time i heard one of them speak i was just in awe.

Stick

pilot
The mean acts towards service members still happens to this day. At my last command, a training command, we had a student who was in his blues (or whites I don't remember) and he was eating at Taco Bell. A lady with her husband and two small children walked up to the young Sailor just out of boot camp and poured her drink all over him. He did nothing nor said anything back at the lady. Good on his part for not making a scene that you know would have ended up on the news about how a Sailor was disrespectful. Bad on the lady for being a douche.

On a brighter note, it still gives a good feeling when people thank you for your service. I receive more phone calls thanking me every Veterans Day from my family than I do on holidays and my birthday. That doesn't bother me that they forget those days, just don’t forget Veterans Day.

clonei09

great airline treatment

Heading to summer cruise this summer I was able to recieve a great amount of hospitality and kindness on behalf of all those who serve in uniform. On my short flight from Dulles to Norfolk three other midshipmen and I were brought up to first class for the short flight. It was very nice for the flight attendant to bring us up right before we left the gate, but I have to admit that it felt very akward to accept such nice things from people while knowing that I really hadn't done much in terms of serving thus far in my short navy career. I was just a midshipman in his whites heading to my short month long cruise of europe. I just wanted to let people know that in my epxerience, I was treated excellent on US Airways and that they do care for service members.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
^ Yeah I felt/feel the same way. When I was still a middie we went to the Bangor Sub O's Ball, and afterwards went to some of the bars in downtown Seattle. Since all our clothes were still on the other side of the 'Sound, we ended up out in our blues. Racked up a $150 tab at the bar, and as myself and a friend were going to pay out, this older guy up at the bar pushed my hand out of the way and insisted on picking up the tab. Though I felt awkward about it considering there probably were un-uniformed folks in the room who had actually served in combat, it was an incredibly nice gesture.

Lights Out

never had anyone pick up a tab or anything, but after ocs when i would just be walking around i would have older gentlemen come up to me and say Semper Fi, Oohrah, or Thanks for wearing that haircut. Since i havent done anything in terms of service it was somewhat awkward, but it is nice to know some people out there genuinely care and are Thankful for what the service members do everyday.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Someone paid my lunch tab from TGIFridays while traveling in whites shortly after joining. It was a very memorable moment.

Also, at school after 9/11 we got alot random people saying thank you in the streets. The homeless/squaters even stopped asking us for booze money, to instead say thank you. My personal favorite was one guy yelling across the street to me "Go shove a Patriot missile up Saddam's ass for us!!" Which elicited applause from others around.

This, of course, turned to anti-war rallies and some vandalism of government property just a few short years later, but it was good while it lasted.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
The mean acts towards service members still happens to this day. At my last command, a training command, we had a student who was in his blues (or whites I don't remember) and he was eating at Taco Bell. A lady with her husband and two small children walked up to the young Sailor just out of boot camp and poured her drink all over him. He did nothing nor said anything back at the lady. Good on his part for not making a scene that you know would have ended up on the news about how a Sailor was disrespectful. Bad on the lady for being a douche.

What really bothers me about this is that other people had to have seen this happen and did nothing about it. The lady (I'd prefer to use another term) was at least guilty of simple assault and probably a few other crimes. That this Sailor had to sit there and take it, is what really pisses me off! I have to agree with Stick about how if he had done something it would have made the news and the part about her dumping the drink on him would not have been mentioned. What's worse is that his Command would probably have diciplined him just to pacify the media.