• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Pacific

jeff_264

I help with the reenactments at the Nimitz Museum up in Fredericksburg. The production photographers came out and took pictures of us, I didnt understand exactly what for, but, they were there.They were gonna do paintings of the pictures for the movie or somthing. I had the honor of meeting R.V. Burgin, who they said would be portrayed in something like 6 of the 10 episodes. He was and awesome man, very sharp memory, its sad that those men are getting fewer and fewer everyday. Im really looking forward to this coming out, it should be great.

brownshoe

Contributor
My father was Sixth Marine Division... he never talked much about what he had gone through, even when asked. I can tell you this... rice was never served in my house, no shit! He did say they sometimes would live off what they could plunder. He hated rice after the war. He's no longer alive, so I can't prod him for information. Those guys went through a world of shit!

At any rate, check out this book. Good read! I for one am looking forward to the series! Thanks for posting!

Steve

PS Hugh, sorry I didn't understand that I was supposed to mail you Ron's radio intervew disks after I'd listened to them! Sorry, but they're very popular here in Maryland.:) Ron's gonna mail you copies soon. I got a welcomed phone call from Ron this afternoon, I've been down with the flu since Saturday.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    920.3 KB · Views: 23

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
So if it's based on the Sledge book, I'm guessing Peleliu and I saw a scene at IJ.

Cleonard19

Contributor
"Covered by only four riflemen, he fought desperately for four hours under terrific enemy small-arms fire and repeatedly returned to his own lines to prepare demolition charges and obtain serviced flame throwers, struggling back, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out one position after another.
One occasion saw him daringly mounted on a pillbox to insert the nozzle of his flame thrower through the air vent, killing the occupants and silencing the gun. On another, he grimly charged enemy riflemen who attempted to stop him with bayonets and destroyed them with a burst of flame from his weapon."

:eek:

Not trying to be rude or disrespect the man in any way, but this sounds like something you'd do in a video game right after entering the God Mode cheat code. Man's a badass through and through.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My father was Sixth Marine Division...
Wow ... can you imagine having six (6!!!) 20,000+ man USMC divisions out there today in active service ...???

And we have 50% more population w/in the 50 states & territories today than we did during the 'Good War' ... ???

One can only wish ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You can't deny that Hanks and Spielberg can make a good damn movie.

BFD ... how does that contribute to the bottom line??? :) It's 'fluff' ... chump change ...

Truman Capote wrote some great stuff, too ... but so what ??? He was fucked up on a personal & private level.

Neither Speilberg nor Hanks saddled up when it was 'their time' ...

As such ... I'm not impressed w/ either.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
BFD ... how does that contribute to the bottom line??? :)

Truman Capote wrote some great stuff, too ... but so what ??? He was fucked up on a personal & private level.

Neither Speilberg nor Hanks saddled up when it was 'their time' ...

As such ... I'm not impressed w/ either.

So the "bottom line" is military service?

Neither of my parents, nor anyone in my family served their country (whether it was Canada when we lived there, or here when we moved here)... does that make them un-contributing worthless individuals who deserve no respect?

Some people have done great things and yet never "saddled up", so I don't use that as my litmus test of character.

That's not to say that I think actors are admirable and respectable just for their acting abilities....

Just sayin....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So the "bottom line" is military service?

Neither of my parents, nor anyone in my family served their country (whether it was Canada when we lived there, or here when we moved here)... does that make them un-contributing worthless individuals who deserve no respect?

Some people have done great things and yet never "saddled up", so I don't use that as my litmus test of character.

That's not to say that I think actors are admirable and respectable just for their acting abilities....

Just sayin....

Fuck me.

No ... OTTO ... or is that 'auto'???

The 'bottom line' is doing something for someone or something or God or Country ... something for any entity OTHER than YOURSELF.

Spielberg & Hanks consistently champion the military values of the 'ol' days ... those of the 'Greatest Generation' ... but where are those 2 boys today ??? Where were they when it was 'their time', like I said???

They continually champion their 'dads' contributions -- yet they -- personally -- did NOTHING.

How quickly YOU forget ....

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Hank's co-star, Gary Sinise, has been pretty damn great though......
BTW...He does a radio spot promoting Fisher House....This is the CFC season, and if you fellow ADubs aren't familiar with it, it's an amazing organization you should think about.
http://www.fisherhouse.org/

ditto on Dennis Miller too.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Fuck me.

No ... OTTO ... or is that 'auto'???

The 'bottom line' is doing something for someone or something or God or Country ... something for any entity OTHER than YOURSELF.

How quickly YOU forget ....

Off the top of my head, I can't think of Tom Hanks, but as for Spielberg...

Ever heard of the "Shoah Foundation". Seems to me that was a very honorable foundation he set up which has done a LOT of good for many people and ensured that an important part of history with human testimonies won't be forgotten.

As for Tom hanks.. if he's done a lot with charities, and it's not well-known, I'd argue that's a lot more honorable than having a minor contribution well-publicized, but I have no knowledge of any of Hanks' contributions.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Off the top of my head, I can't think of Tom Hanks, but as for Spielberg...

Ever heard of the "Shoah Foundation". Seems to me that was a very honorable foundation he set up which has done a LOT of good for many people and ensured that an important part of history with human testimonies won't be forgotten.

As for Tom hanks.. if he's done a lot with charities, and it's not well-known, I'd argue that's a lot more honorable than having a minor contribution well-publicized, but I have no knowledge of any of Hanks' contributions.

All that takes is $$$$$ ... chump change for either. That takes NOTHING other than a good accountant ...

Where were they when it might cost THEM something ... cost them personally ... the ol' blood, sweat, & tears thing ... ??? And I don't mean the late '60s blues-rock group, either ...

Your defense of Hollywood elites: I'm not impressed. :sleep_125