• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS The Not So Friendly Skies....

robav8r

None
Contributor
The estrogen outrage on FB is pretty funny to watch right now. Lots of folks claiming they will NEVER fly United again and have already changed existing reservations to another airline because of this heinous event. Reality and facts aside, the social media hysteria and backlash to United is something they'll have to contend with for awhile . . . .

GroundPounder

My two cents. Flying commercial is a pain in the ass, but for the money you pay it is an incredible bargain. I would never schedule a flight in such a way that one missed connection would have dire consequences, there are too many variables that could cause you to miss the next leg and you have to know that going in.

When the police direct you to do something, do it. If you think you are being mistreated or taken advantage of, after you have complied start the complaint process immediately. We can ( and do ) make mistakes or have officers that are acting outside of policy but resisting at the time is not going to provide you with the best outcome.

It's hard to convey tone in a post, but I am not saying to do what we say because we are the police. In spite of being in LE for 27 years, I still have a mindset that resists the application of force and positional authority but there is a time and place to address complaints. We are right way more than we are wrong, but we do make mistakes at times.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Ehhhh. That's what you got from this?

I agree with JTS on this. If an authority figure tells you that you need to get off the plane, you need to get off the plane and not throw a temper tantrum like a 3 year old brat. He clearly wasn't going to deplane under his own power, which leaves force as the only option for airport security. What did you expect them to do? "Ok sir, you clearly aren't going to leave like we asked, you are free to continue on your travels today." Is that how you think it should have gone down? Considering the three other passengers who were bumped left the aircraft without incident, that tells me this guy was the problem, not the airline. In the video the "doctor" can be heard yelling "kill me, kill me!" I think there were a few loose screws with this one anyway. If I'm the Captain of this United Express flight, I don't want an unruly rebel pax that isn't going to listen to my crew on my flight anyway.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I heard on NPR this morning the guy is claiming he was "profiled" for his ethnicity. What is that even supposed to mean? The cabin crew looked over their manifest and said, "Oh this guy's an Asian doctor, so he'll have the intelligence to understand the economic factors that make this unfortunate but necessary, and the maturity and decorum to handle the inconvenience in a professional and civilized manner"? Guess that shows the danger of profiling.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
There is zero dispute about whether or not they had the right to remove the passenger here.

Right. But it seems that you don't agree with how it was done. So, in a case like this, how should it have been done? It doesn't matter what paperwork you put in front of his face here, he's not leaving that plane on his own. Outside of confiscating everyone's cell phone (sarcasm), how could United have executed this any better than dragging this guy off the plane?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Passenger was a complete assclown and the majority of the general population won't see past the thirty second video clip and CNN outrage.

Turns out, contracts mean things and being disruptive on an airplane will get you hemmed up faster than walking through the CPO mess with your hands in your pockets.

I have no sympathy for him and suspect he will be found to have some serious mental/emotional problems...

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Right. But it seems that you don't agree with how it was done. So, in a case like this, how should it have been done? It doesn't matter what paperwork you put in front of his face here, he's not leaving that plane on his own. Outside of confiscating everyone's cell phone (sarcasm), how could United have executed this any better than dragging this guy off the plane?

An opinion on the subject from a man who flies a LOT and is no passenger apologist:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/i-got-the-united-situation-wrong/

I agree with him on some points. Mostly that I would have probably been willing to pay A lot more money as that airline to get someone off that plane without getting the cops involved. Feel like there could have been a touch more carrot here, that's all. I don't fault the cops at all--they were doing their job.

Still--tough to judge without having been there.