• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS The Not So Friendly Skies....

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So airline lets everyone board an aircraft and then asked for volunteers for bumping and doesn't get what it needs, airline then moves to an involuntary bumping situation, fails to follow established proceedures for involuntary bumping and forcibly removes a passanger from an Aircraft...

Instead of making arrangements prior to boarding (I'm sure all of us have been there when they've asked for volunteers at the gate before boarding) they let passengers board... and when time came for the forced bump failed to provide written notification of forced bumping and compensation as well as alternate transportation arrangements as outlined in the passanger "bill of rights" published by the department of transportation then forcibly removed the passenger for "declining to volunteer" to deplane.

The optics: An airline did the same thing to a paying passenger onboard an aircraft that the Nazis did with Jews in their homes...

As a traveling passenger I hope this incident costs millions of dollars in settlements and lost revenue, because unfortunately profit loss and bad PR are the only things that management of big companies understand and motivate them to provide a better experience for their customers.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
So airline lets everyone board an aircraft and then asked for volunteers for bumping and doesn't get what it needs, airline then moves to an involuntary bumping situation, fails to follow established proceedures for involuntary bumping and forcibly removes a passanger from an Aircraft...

Instead of making arrangements prior to boarding (I'm sure all of us have been there when they've asked for volunteers at the gate before boarding) they let passengers board... and when time came for the forced bump failed to provide written notification of forced bumping and compensation as well as alternate transportation arrangements as outlined in the passanger "bill of rights" published by the department of transportation then forcibly removed the passenger for "declining to volunteer" to deplane.

The optics: An airline did the same thing to a paying passenger onboard an aircraft that the Nazis did with Jews in their homes...

As a traveling passenger I hope this incident costs millions of dollars in settlements and lost revenue, because unfortunately profit loss and bad PR are the only things that management of big companies understand and motivate them to provide a better experience for their customers.

Really? I guess I missed the part where Godwin transported the passenger via boxcar to a concentration camp and gas chamber. The things you miss in the mainstream media.:rolleyes:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Bottom line, this guy is an asshole. I don't care where you stand on the issue of overbooking, once the police say "hey buddy, u need to get off this plane" that's it.

And I don't care if you squeal like a stuck pig while you're getting dragged out with your porcine belly showing. You're still an asshole.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Bottom line, this guy is an asshole. I don't care where you stand on the issue of overbooking, once the police say "hey buddy, u need to get off this plane" that's it.

And I don't care if you squeal like a stuck pig while you're getting dragged out with your porcine belly showing. You're still an asshole.

Ehhhh. That's what you got from this?

I'd say bottom line is United realllyyyy fucked this one away. The bus drivers on here will tell you he broke the rules, which is technically true...This is real easy, business 101 shit. You start offering cash for folks to get off. Just start going up until someone takes it. Everyone has smartphones now, and the optics of dragging a bloodied doctor off your plane are... well, you saw the video.

Whatever it was, would still have been cheaper than the hit their brand takes from this.

But... this is united we're talking about:
In 2008, a guitarist has his $3,500 Taylor guitar broken by United employees. The claim he files, is denied. He writes a song about it.
United Airlines Almost Killed My Greyhound
Mom & Daughter With Autism Were Kicked Off United Flight
Another United Airlines Horror Story
Girls in Leggings Barred From United Airlines Flight | The View
United Airlines "apologizes" after disabled man is forced to crawl off flight -2015
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, probably not great optics for United... I agree.

It's just interesting that we always are debating people being assholes because we see the tail end of them being assholes on video. What kind of professional would refuse to debark a plane, except one trying to make a point

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Yeah, probably not great optics for United... I agree.

It's just interesting that we always are debating people being assholes because we see the tail end of them being assholes on video. What kind of professional would refuse to debark a plane, except one trying to make a point
I'd take the cash and run, personally. Especially if th plane was going to Kentucky...

D

Deleted member 24525

Ehhhh. That's what you got from this?

I'd say bottom line is United realllyyyy fucked this one away. The bus drivers on here will tell you he broke the rules, which is technically true...This is real easy, business 101 shit. You start offering cash for folks to get off. Just start going up until someone takes it. Everyone has smartphones now, and the optics of dragging a bloodied doctor off your plane are... well, you saw the video.

Whatever it was, would still have been cheaper than the hit their brand takes from this.

But... this is united we're talking about:
In 2008, a guitarist has his $3,500 Taylor guitar broken by United employees. The claim he files, is denied. He writes a song about it.
United Airlines Almost Killed My Greyhound
Mom & Daughter With Autism Were Kicked Off United Flight
Another United Airlines Horror Story
Girls in Leggings Barred From United Airlines Flight | The View
United Airlines "apologizes" after disabled man is forced to crawl off flight -2015
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
EVERY airline has dumb issues like these that happen...every single one. Sometimes you get unlucky and have a camera...like where was the camera when the other 3 deplaned uneventfully?
Where was the camera when the CSA and the gate agent talked to him to remove him?
Is it bad PR-oh Hell yes.
And for the poor planning on uniteds part? Do you realize it was a Republic airways plane with the Republic airways crew that showed up to the gate late?
But the fact that you're posting the leggings article delegitimizes your whole post.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
EVERY airline has dumb issues like these that happen...every single one. Sometimes you get unlucky and have a camera...like where was the camera when the other 3 deplaned uneventfully?
Where was the camera when the CSA and the gate agent talked to him to remove him?
Is it bad PR-oh Hell yes.
And for the poor planning on uniteds part? Do you realize it was a Republic airways plane with the Republic airways crew that showed up to the gate late?
But the fact that you're posting the leggings article delegitimizes your whole post.
It's about image, man. That's my point. I'm just pointing out they haven't had a great run in public relations recently.

More data points: http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/04/aviation/airline-quality-rating-united-states-carriers/

And a carrier who seems to have a pretty good handle on both ends of the overbooking calculus: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/how-delta-masters-the-game-of-overbooking-flights/

I personally refuse to fly them. Too many bad experiences. I'm not the only forum member who feels that way... https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/fuck-you-united-airlines.44581/

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

Is there a "stupidest Holocaust comparison" contest with a huge cash prize I don't know about, or did you actually think that was a good point?

Yes, the airline should have just offered more money. Obviously. But at the end of the day, the airline made a stupid customer relations move and the passenger committed a crime in response, and then squealed like a little girl at the police doing their job.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I can tell you one thing, Delta is loving United right now for diverting attention from their mass cancellations recently.

As for me, I like United a lot and will keep flying with them. This works in my favor as people will leave them and that means cheaper fairs/open seats for me. Hello opportunity!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Agreed, the passenger in the video is being highly unprofessional, and screams like a little bitch to boot. I guess he was having a really bad day, or something. I would have been pissed off, but when you get asked to leave, that's it. Take your $1000 (voucher) and go. I also agree that crews have to get where they need to go, so that "the show" can go on.

But I will say again, that there has got to be a better way to treat customers than this. The constant overselling and asking for volunteers just seems so... disorganized. In all these years, nobody has thought of something better?