• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The "Million Dollar" Question...

corvettetimmy

As for me, I'll be stepping foot out in a new direction (for me, anyways) - electrical engineering for me. Unless, of course, it'll require excessive effort to accomplish; then I'd probably jump into mechanical engineering.

I have many friends that majored in both degrees. Neither one is easier, they both go in depth sufficiently enough so that they are not easy in any way. Stand by for 20+ hours every semester (even summer) plus a 6 month extension unless you have a significant amount of engineering courses completed at that specific college. I hat about 100 hours transfered from the navy(nuke school EM and EM2 rating) and an associates degree before the navy, and only 6 hours for 2 classes transfered into anything useful. I'm not trying to be negative.

A good suggestion would be to contact the school and send them your smart transcript to be evaluated before finalizing on a major if you plan on receiving a lot of military credit. It will save a lot of legwork in the end.

Edit: At my school it did not matter how many times you changed your major as long as you graduated on time. So that is something to ask your ROTC unit about before starting classes as well.

Good luck everyone and Congratulations.

LoneSailor

Was doing Computer Science at my current school, but will be enrolled in General Engineering minoring in IT since SUNY Maritime does not have a CS program.

future_sta21nfo

I'm currently going for the General Engineering Technology (Electromechanical) at Old Dominion. I chose it because I'm on sea duty and they offered self-paced CD-ROM based courses that I could take if I was on deployment. I started pursuing the degree in 2005 and I've got almost all of my lower level classes done and about 1/3 of my upper levels complete. I should finish within a year of starting full time, the sooner the better. I wanna fly!!

Remember that if you go into engineering, if it is not ABET accredited, it is worth nothing when you go to get a job outside of the military. Had a guy in my office just retire as a first class with a Bachelor's in Gen. Eng. Tech. and he couldn't do a thing with it because it wasn't an ABET accredited degree and he ended up working full time at Home Depot. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time doing the classes if I'm not going to be able to use it after retirement.

As for me, I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering now and will continue. Have my Associates from the local community college plus 2 semesters at University of New Haven. In Calc II now, hoping to take Calc III in the Summer, Dif. Eq. in the Fall.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Remember that if you go into engineering, if it is not ABET accredited, it is worth nothing when you go to get a job outside of the military. Had a guy in my office just retire as a first class with a Bachelor's in Gen. Eng. Tech. and he couldn't do a thing with it because it wasn't an ABET accredited degree and he ended up working full time at Home Depot. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time doing the classes if I'm not going to be able to use it after retirement.

As for me, I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering now and will continue. Have my Associates from the local community college plus 2 semesters at University of New Haven. In Calc II now, hoping to take Calc III in the Summer, Dif. Eq. in the Fall.

It only needs to accredited if you plan on continuing your education in order to be a professional engineer. There are a million companies that would love an engineering degree and it doesn't matter if it is accredited or not.

Examples include:
Sales in a technical field.. it's great to have a technical understanding of the products you sell.
Project Manager at a technical/production company.
Plant/Floor Manager... again a technical background is a great asset.

Pretty much for any job in a technical industry having an engineering degree is a huge asset regardless if it is accredited or not.

@future sta21NFO: Your comments and example are spot on, I just wanted to make sure any college freshman/HS senior reading this gets the whole picture.

future_sta21nfo

It only needs to accredited if you plan on continuing your education in order to be a professional engineer. There are a million companies that would love an engineering degree and it doesn't matter if it is accredited or not.

Examples include:
Sales in a technical field.. it's great to have a technical understanding of the products you sell.
Project Manager at a technical/production company.
Plant/Floor Manager... again a technical background is a great asset.

Pretty much for any job in a technical industry having an engineering degree is a huge asset regardless if it is accredited or not.

@future sta21NFO: Your comments and example are spot on, I just wanted to make sure any college freshman/HS senior reading this gets the whole picture.

Thanks for the other insight. You're right, that there are several jobs that you could get, but as for me, if I have to do the classes, I want to get something that I could use ANYWHERE. I also wasn't sure if you would be permitted via NROTC and the STA-21 program to take a degree that was in Engineering, but not ABET (I know that ABET certifies many other degree plans, but I'm not sure about them). Just some food for thought. If the Navy is going to give you money for tuition and books, might as well take full advantage of it, and get a degree that can get you places either in or out of the military. Just my humble opinion!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
future_sta21nfo;368435If the Navy is going to give you money for tuition and books said:
But that's my point, there are probably just as many, if not more, jobs that a non-accredited engineering degree would be a huge asset for compared to the professional engineering jobs that require ABET accreditation.

Any non-professional engineering job would likely to accept either one.

In fact, it is unlikely that you could practice in the Navy as a professional engineer (if such positions exist) without having an accredited degree.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Remember with regards to engineering being ABET accredited and going towards a PE... you would have to take the EIT to work towards a PE... Different states have limitations about how long an EIT is good for. Back in MD it is 10 years. In my case, it made no sense to take the EIT, because by the time I got through flight school and fulfilled my commitment to the Navy, I would not have had enough time to get my PE. Food for thought.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Remember with regards to engineering being ABET accredited and going towards a PE... you would have to take the EIT to work towards a PE... Different states have limitations about how long an EIT is good for. Back in MD it is 10 years. In my case, it made no sense to take the EIT, because by the time I got through flight school and fulfilled my commitment to the Navy, I would not have had enough time to get my PE. Food for thought.

Good points... I wasn't aware of the time limits.

boobcheese

Well you never know what the future holds. Having an ABET accredited degree and the EIT in your pocket WILL give you more options. Yes, state regulations vary in regards to licensure but the EIT is recognized nationally so even if the state where took it initially won't allow you to go for your PE there are many that will. Once you are a PE you can transfer to most any state if you pass their exam. Either way I am glad I took it while in school. I didn't study, except for a couple of review sessions my school offered, and was able to pass. That is something that I wouldn't easily be able to do once several years removed from classroom. In my case I am especially glad I sacrificed a day of my life for the exam as I have recently lat transferred to CEC after discovering that aviation simply isn't for me. Again, you never know what the future holds but if take the time and effort now you will be setting yourself up to have more options down the road.

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
I am thinking that Computer Science is still my calling. I've been working on it since 2000 through 4 different colleges.
Now I get to goto my 5th :D. Talk about a transcript nightmare though.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Major in Aeronautics with a minor in Business Administration(ERAU). I'm on a trunc...truncka.....tight schedule, and I have to have my degree before August 13, 2009.
Just so I understand it, once you get a degree, you are comissioned, right? What else is involved? Do I have to submitt anything? Do I have to walk in the graduation?