• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The "Million Dollar" Question...

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Depends... Nuclear Engineering if I attend U of Florida, Electrical everywhere else..

corvettetimmy

I would suggest something that is not a 5 year major. Many of my friends changed their majors from engineering to something else because the needed to take 20+ Credit Hours each semester. Plus the ROTC commitments.

I chose math since it was the shortest major at my school with 19 hours vice 90+ hours for some of the engineering majors. Of course that is not including the general education requirements which adds to that number until you get 128 hours.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I'm currently going for the General Engineering Technology (Electromechanical) at Old Dominion. I chose it because I'm on sea duty and they offered self-paced CD-ROM based courses that I could take if I was on deployment. I started pursuing the degree in 2005 and I've got almost all of my lower level classes done and about 1/3 of my upper levels complete. I should finish within a year of starting full time, the sooner the better. I wanna fly!!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I'm currently going for the General Engineering Technology (Electromechanical) at Old Dominion. I chose it because I'm on sea duty and they offered self-paced CD-ROM based courses that I could take if I was on deployment. I started pursuing the degree in 2005 and I've got almost all of my lower level classes done and about 1/3 of my upper levels complete. I should finish within a year of starting full time, the sooner the better. I wanna fly!!

I was looking at that degree option too because they would give me 39 credits for my military training as an FC2, plus I can apply all my credits from my Associate's Degree and see how many they accept. At the very least I should have 2 years down by the time I start!

How do you like the program? How tough are the classes? Are the instructors good and easy to get in touch with if you need help with the course work?

haubby

None
Contributor
Has any person not been allowed to attend their number one college choice they submitted to STA-21?

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
OneBadSSS, PM sent.

The instructors are usually availible through e-mail (for self-paced students) I've never gone to the campus looking for them though. They seem pretty good for the most part. I would recommend taking the actual classes over CD-ROM unless you are very disciplined and have next to no obligations. The trick is getting enrolled in the classes before they fill up! I like the degree for the most part, it gives you a good foundation in Engineering Tech. The classes aren't really hard unless you get behind. With your prior service schools and Associates degree you should be fine as far as transfer credits for lower levels, you may even get upper level electives.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
The way I look at it, I already have a preliminary degree plan from U of North Florida for Electrical Engineering. I sent it in with my applicantion because of my age and age restrictions fro NFO, I wante dthe board to know that I had a plan for my degree already and they wouldn't need to "take a chance" on me. If I suck a Engineering (which I've been a Nuke for 8.5 years, so probably not, but if I do, I'll probably change to a Math major...

But, IMO the Navy is paying me for school for up to 3 years, so, I might as well take advantage of it.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
your post got me wondering. I already looked on the sta website but figured asking you all would be faster. What exactly are the degree requirements for STA. For example, I was awarded Core. Am I able to finish any degree I wish. I don't know why, but I have always assumed you had to finish an engineering degree if you weren't a Nurse selectee. Man I feel dumb for not knowing

corvettetimmy

your post got me wondering. I already looked on the sta website but figured asking you all would be faster. What exactly are the degree requirements for STA. For example, I was awarded Core. Am I able to finish any degree I wish. I don't know why, but I have always assumed you had to finish an engineering degree if you weren't a Nurse selectee. Man I feel dumb for not knowing

You can pick almost any degree. You must take 2 semesters of calc and calc based physics.
Call the specific NROTC unit that you plan to attend and ask them if your degree choice is ok.
The spectrum ranges from social work, physical education, to the hardcore engineering degrees.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
As for me, I'll be stepping foot out in a new direction (for me, anyways) - electrical engineering for me. Unless, of course, it'll require excessive effort to accomplish; then I'd probably jump into mechanical engineering.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
It's great you guys want to shoot for some great engineering degrees. However the advice that we all give to ROTC applicants /OCS / all the other commissioning sources from the street holds true for you.... choose what you are interested in, so long as it meets the minimum requirements.

Trust me, I did it the hard way, I worked through my engineering major and hated it. I would have done better in school and had a better time if I had chosen something that I found more interesting.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I couldn't agree more with HH-60H here. I did aero, loved it, and it was still a pain in the ass. If you don't like what you're studying or at least have a significant interest in it, you’re going to want to stab yourselves in the eye.