• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The heat and humidity at OCS

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I just ran a 1.5 mile run on a treadmill at my school's gym. I got 11:20...not too bad for a second semester senior who just started working out again, I guess. It was hot and humid as hell in there and that 1.5 miles was tough. If that 1.5 miles was hard, I imagine running 3 or so every day in scorchin' ass hot Florida would be much tougher. Fortunately for me, it will get better because I only started working out about a week ago.

I'm from the north. Do people from the south tend to have an easier time with the running at OCS because they are used to the weather?

I remember seeing this discussed before, couldn't find anything with a search though.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
If Florida is anything like Ft Benning, GA, then the only thing that would prepare you for the heat & humidity would be to visit Hell itself.

mts4602

You'll probably be running bright and early in the morning. I'm sure you won't have too much of a problem with the weather. Oh, and if you did that timed run again, but outside instead of on a treadmill I bet it would be lower. It seems like the treadmill just makes things harder with having to adjust the speed and all...I don't know it just seems weird. Try the timed run again outside and I think you'll be more impressed.

tiger84

LT
pilot
You'll run at about 0530. It isn't too hot. You also don't run three miles often, nor do you run every day. The PFA course at OCS is also about 1.65 miles, so that 11:20 might be closer to 12:00 out here.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Actually...the treadmill makes you times lower...since you aren't actually propelling yourself anywhere. At least this is what I've been told and seen.

I would strongly advise that unless you have no other choice, you prepare with roadwork, vice the treadmill. Its better than nothing, but what's stopping you from hitting the bricks?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Tiger84, judging from your profile, it looks like you're in OCS right now. How is everything going with all the physical training?

JLockheed

Wanderer
You'll probably be running bright and early in the morning. I'm sure you won't have too much of a problem with the weather. Oh, and if you did that timed run again, but outside instead of on a treadmill I bet it would be lower. It seems like the treadmill just makes things harder with having to adjust the speed and all...I don't know it just seems weird. Try the timed run again outside and I think you'll be more impressed.

I always thought running on a treadmill was easier then running outside??? Course the hardest thing for me is keeping a steady pace.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Tiger84, judging from your profile, it looks like you're in OCS right now. How is everything going with all the physical training?

Sometimes it sucks and sometimes you wish you could PT more. However, if you don't come prepared to PT/get beat you will more than likely end up spending some time (3+ weeks) over in H-Class. You don't want that. The dumbest thing you can do is fail your In-PFA, yet people do it in every class. You will be tired and your PFA will suffer for it, so if you're barely hitting the standards you have some work to do.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
but what's stopping you from hitting the bricks?

I have a BDCP PRT coming up on May 19th. Gotta see what my exact time is. Don't have a watch or a measured path to run on.

And look at my post. Geez...I'm not even in the Navy yet and I'm already throwing around acronyms. I can't even understand any posts on here that talk about things beyond OCS.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...don't time yourself on a treadmill. The times bear no real resemblance to anything. Spring for a 20$ Casio.

BigRed389

None
You'll run at about 0530. It isn't too hot. You also don't run three miles often, nor do you run every day. The PFA course at OCS is also about 1.65 miles, so that 11:20 might be closer to 12:00 out here.

So you're expected to run a 1.5 mile time on a 1.65 mile course?

Not bitching, just want to know what to expect.