• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Pirates off the Somali Coast thread

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
My favorite line from the article [is where they say almost half the crew (14 of 29 or 30*) is Iranian, which gave rise to suspicion].

*That's a great statistic, if you can figure out what the hell he's talking about. They go on to delineate the composition of the crew only it adds up to 30, not 29:

Pakistani captain
Iranian engineer,
13 other Iranians
3 Indians
2 Filipinos
10 Eastern Europeans

I didn't major in math, but I'm pretty sure that means that the crew of 29 is made up of 30 people. You're right, you can't make this stuff up.

On the plus side, it is actually an interesting article. Good find, Raptor.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The current regime in Iran has been in place for almost 30 years. We will likely never know half the BS & chicanery they have engaged in since 1979. Thanks to Raptor for this story, and I hope he'll update us with future developments in it.

yarles87

You would have to think that the offer of 2mil being turned down by the pirates has to mean something... That sure would be sad if these some of these African conflicts turn to Bio/Chem weapons. Hopefully it is all nonsense.

I have read a few articles on the pirate problem (sounds goofy) off of the African coasts, but it seems like they usually just take hostages and release them once ransom has been paid. How big of a problem is it to sea shipping?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You would have to think that the offer of 2mil being turned down by the pirates has to mean something... That sure would be sad if these some of these African conflicts turn to Bio/Chem weapons. Hopefully it is all nonsense.

I have read a few articles on the pirate problem (sounds goofy) off of the African coasts, but it seems like they usually just take hostages and release them once ransom has been paid. How big of a problem is it to sea shipping?
Eagle1 over at http://www.EagleSpeak.us has been following the somali piracy pretty closely!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Well technically Russia doesn't have good relations with half of Ukraine... The other half is pro-Russian.

phrogpilot73

I didn't major in math, but I'm pretty sure that means that the crew of 29 is made up of 30 people. You're right, you can't make this stuff up.
If I was a betting man, the crew of 29 = CAPTAIN (1) + CREW (29). They are referring to 29 people in the crew, and are excluding the Captain.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Jesus, at the rate things are going they'll bring back privateers (unless contractors already count...) and The Prize!

snake020

Contributor
So if we are (as the Iranians allege) getting into a bidding war to try and get the ship, does that mean we are negotiating with terrorists?