• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Pirates off the Somali Coast thread

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
That's the problem, their attacks are becoming much more violent. Many of them aren't interested in leaving you alive, so they'll ambush you from the get-go. Your option there is to either shoot back and hope they don't like a hard target, which may get you killed... or not shoot back and die anyway. I'd rather shoot back, like you said, go down swinging.

Not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but just to clarify...This is getting a lot of press time right now, but they actually aren't that much more violent now. Just more coverage which tends to accentuate the perception they're more violent. I'm basing that statement what my dad tells me as well as what I've seen. Way back in 1996, I went through the Straits of Malaca on a Mid cruise, and even back then, the ship had it's guns out in full display, and hauled ass through at 20+ knots. Just about every other merchant going through there was doing at least 20 knots. Pretty interesting thing to see in the pre-9/11 era.

@Mules:

Yes, it's illegal to spit, chew gum, and litter in Singapore. There's signs everywhere. All three warrant, at a minimum, a 500 <insert monoply money> fine...at least a while back. Probably more now. My first day in Singapore, we took the train from Sebawang into the main town. As we stepped off the train, I stepped in gum. A few minutes later, I saw a guy (anglo) spit on the street. Kind of funny, in a shakes-fist-in-air sort of way.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Not disagreeing with anything you're saying, but just to clarify...This is getting a lot of press time right now, but they actually aren't that much more violent now. Just more coverage which tends to accentuate the perception they're more violent. I'm basing that statement what my dad tells me as well as what I've seen. Way back in 1996, I went through the Straits of Malaca on a Mid cruise, and even back then, the ship had it's guns out in full display, and hauled ass through at 20+ knots. Just about every other merchant going through there was doing at least 20 knots. Pretty interesting thing to see in the pre-9/11 era.

Good to know. I've read about the Straits of Malacca and how bad it is there for piracy. Are pirates in one part of the world particularly more brutal than in another part?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually, my folks are visiting me right now, so I asked my dad that question. Based on what he's read, the whole Horn of Afirca/Somalia is the worst. I also mispoke earlier, as the story feddoc posted was the same incident I was referring to earlier. Apparently told from a different angle. Understand, this is all open source, cruising forums. I don't know much about what the DOD puts out in "other" mediums.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
Here is a pic of an unexploded rpg that was shot at that cruise liner back in november by pirates.

Actually...it's not UEX, but what's left of the propellant part of the RPG.

In the midst of it all here in NAVCENT...

r/
G

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Is there anything lethal you can shoot out of a 37mm "flare launcher"? I would think that might be a good deterrent if you can't come up from below decks too far to shoot back, since at least pirates don't usually use flak jackets. I guess what I'm asking is "what's the heaviest weaponry a civilian can buy for maritime self defense?" Are mortar rounds illegal?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I would think hitting a small, moving speedboat with a mortar would be quite challenging. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think there would be any limitations to the size of weaponry when you are sailing in international waters. The problem would probably lie in whatever port you pull in to.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
part of our schooling at USMMA we go to sea, my friend was on a grain ship that went over to africa, when they were near somalia, they had to worry about pirate attacks there are a few things merchant ships can do, but unfortunatly its awareness that counts, especially these days when crew numbers are around the 25-30 range, and its only the AB and mate on watch, if anything a firehose is a really good defense if its set up and there are other crew members on watch.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
highlyrandom said:
Is there anything lethal you can shoot out of a 37mm "flare launcher"? I would think that might be a good deterrent if you can't come up from below decks too far to shoot back, since at least pirates don't usually use flak jackets. I guess what I'm asking is "what's the heaviest weaponry a civilian can buy for maritime self defense?" Are mortar rounds illegal?

No, you've be violating major ATF laws there. You can buy 40mm launchers, but you must go through the NFA red-tape laws to get it. That, and 40mm ammo is expensive. You are not allowed to have anything lethal or destructive in 37mm... that's a no-no. Of course, outside the legal limits of the USA, it doesn't matter, does it.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
i dont know about private ships, but i believe most companies do not provide guns for self defense for commercial ships, but the master is usually permitted to stow one in the safe.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
H20man said:
i dont know about private ships, but i believe most companies do not provide guns for self defense for commercial ships, but the master is usually permitted to stow one in the safe.

I'm guessing too much red-tape to deal with going port to port. Most countries don't like it when you bring arms in their ports.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
H20man said:

On USNS AFS, AE's and RO-Ro's the ship has a discrete but formidable arsenal. MP-5's, shotguns, and rifles.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
It's be great to have a Ma Deuce to keep the pirates at bay. Just watching their faces as their little boat is splintered around them...