• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

East

东部
Contributor
Merry Xmas to you too, Ed!

......and ofcourse also to anyone here on AW, where ever you are!
Fly safe.

Attachments

• xmastomcat.jpg
    xmastomcat.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 166

BigDeckDriver

None
G-1

Pop's jacket is cut "roomy." Flightsuits.com calls their sizes "Regular or Tall." Does anybody make a good jacket cut trim (for fit people) like the issue G-1? I don't want a puffy, "roomy" jacket like every jackass civilian in the world.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Pop's jacket is cut "roomy." Flightsuits.com calls their sizes "Regular or Tall." Does anybody make a good jacket cut trim (for fit people) like the issue G-1? I don't want a puffy, "roomy" jacket like every jackass civilian in the world.

I really like the one I got from flightjacket.com. In fact, you've seen it. If you need to see it again, come on by. The wives can chat and we can drink beer...what else is there to do on a 3 day weekend?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You calling me fat?!

;)

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Hey guys--

Here are two that I thought were nice. Would I be able to wear these in the fleet?

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=85

or this one

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_m422a.html

Hey Butterbar,

You know the M422 is much more distinctive, meaning more prone to getting "called out". Also, the "red" liner means you've shot down 5 enemies, hence you're an "ace". Just thought you'd like to know.

FWIW, I had my issue Air Force A-2 liner replaced with an acetate maroon liner, inside wallet pocket ala G-1, and pen pocket installed by the guys out the front gate in Osan. No one's given me crap about that. But, then again, the Air Force is full of Incirlik or Osan specials any given day in the ready room.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Butterbar,

You know the M422 is much more distinctive, meaning more prone to getting "called out". Also, the "red" liner means you've shot down 5 enemies, hence you're an "ace". Just thought you'd like to know.

Never heard that before, where did you?

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Never heard that before, where did you?

Flash,

The M-422 was issued towards the tailend of WWII. It has "USN" painted on the neck collar under the mouton collar. The front pocket detail is different too along with some differences in pen pockets and some other stuff I can't remember now. The "red" liner is a reference I got from a aviation history book about Naval Airl, don't remember the title though.

You can easily Google "Navy M-422" or just M422 and come up with a bunch more stuff.

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_m422a.html

I'm planning on getting one sometime after I retire and put all my cruise patches and what-not on there. I'll be one of those fat pot-bellied guys flying my Cessna around at the local FBO with a huge "Veterans" trucker hat and a bunch of pins to boot!

Addendum...

I'll have to look at it at home, but I may be confusing the "crimson" liner thing with an AAF thing of using "red" to signify you're an ace.

Nomar116

pilot
Are there opinions on the newer versions of the G1 being issued now at API. I was told by the guy at Winds N Things that Cooper lost the contract on the jackets and maybe US Wings has picked it up. Anyone have details on this manufacturer?

FLY_USMC

pilot
All this leather jacket talk got me motivated to SELL my API issue POS and get a new one. I'm fairly positive I'm going for the Oxford Leather Shop one. Hidden pockets for the nastys, blook chit, plus I really liked the one my buddy has, all for $220 shipped? That can't be beat, and if I can get them to punch USMC in the flap, I'll be sold completely.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Update, received the Oxford Leather Shop jacket....it's REALLY frigain nice. I've actually talked with others around the squadron and quite a few have one as well. Compared to $400+ for others, $220 to your doorstep is a BARGAIN, and I sold my crappy API gear issue one on Ebay for $217 so I almost broke even. Made to my measurements with liner, blook chit, pencil and cell phone pockets on the inside, hidden hand warmers behind the pockets, calf skin leather and real furry shiat on the collar, all standard...for 55,000 yen:)

Bevo16

pilot
Great thread.

My dad flew S-2 Trackers back in the 60's. When I got my orders to flight school, he was so excited that he bought me an custom flight jacket. I was smart enough to put it in my closet and leave it there until I got my wings. It has a really nice liner and it great for really cold days. The issue jacket is so thin that it does not do much except look cool.

Unlike some of you, I really like the jacket that I got from Pensacola. My dad was my hero, and actually getting my own issue flight jacket was a big day for me. Sure, it could be higher quality, but I would never get rid of it. I added a really nice nametag from flightjacket.com, and the large flag on the left shoulder. It looks really good and fits me well.

Of course, my father's leather jacket had a lot more patches than current regs allow us to wear. He was upset that I could not put any cruise/ship patches on my issue jacket like he was able to. I decided to use the jacket that he gave me as a storage device for deployment patches. I probably wear it 5 times a year or less, but it makes the old man happy.

Bird85

None
At North Island circa 1987-88, you couldn't wear a flight suit unless you were at the squadron/flight line that day. No flight suits at medical, the Exchange, or even the gas station! I remember leaving the house with the sleeves tied around my waist and slouching really low when driving through the front gate!