• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

ItsTurboTime

I can understand someone who hasn't seen the movie wondering about that comment. Honest mistake. Lets not dig up the past and make a fight from scratch.:icon_wink

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Leather jacket nametag

Anyone know if there is a Good place out here in Kingsville to get the nametag velcro sewn onto my leather? I want to do it right the first time, since you don't really get a second chance once you punch holes in leather. Thanks guys.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd wait and not get velcro. There's not a reason you NEED the nametag there in K-rock. Once you get to a fleet command, you should get a Tipsy Gypsy patch. That's my 2 cents.

The Gooch

FOD Eater
pilot
Ok, well how about this spin on things...I know the "reg" says our nametags should be first initial, middle initial, and last name, with rank and USMC below them. Now, personally, I like the wings + regular name below it. We looked around today and I did see one other squadron major with this patch (ie: Tipsy Gipsy brown one, etc), but as we all know, there's always going to be one guy. Any idea if that nametag would be kosher enough to stand in front of the MAG CO and not think he's going to chew my arse?

Besides, with my callsign, I figure I rate something like this...

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Good point. Is that the permanently sewn-on patch that I see some of the fleet guys have on their jackets? I think I'll wait until then. Thanks!!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes it is. Typically you'd get your nametag and the squadron patch (leather). Others that you can see around would be a US flag, Navy seal, LSO patch, etc.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Tipsy Gypsy

Wiseguy, I'm having the same dilemma (also in K-rock).

The Tipsy Gypsy patches do look awfully nice, but if I were to do that, I would forego the rank and only have my wings and a name. It's too nice and too expensive (and too much hassle) to update it every so often. Although turds like me don't get promoted too often...

As Marines, are we required to have initials, last name, rank, USMC?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kmac said:
I'd wait and not get velcro. There's not a reason you NEED the nametag there in K-rock. Once you get to a fleet command, you should get a Tipsy Gypsy patch. That's my 2 cents.
Or you could go without. I think a nametag on your leather looks gay.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It should at least have your rank and USMC below that. "Bob Smith" by itself is a little too Air Force. I've seen a lot of callsigns put on the line right below the wings. As far as your MAG CO, depends on him. If in doubt, though, this could be a high-risk, low payoff mission.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not required that I'm aware of...on a leather jacket. Otherwise wouldn't it come with a nice patch of velcro alrady stitched on?

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Brett327 said:
Or you could go without.

I thought the regs said you needed one. Not that anyone really follows those anyway. If that's the case, then I'm definitely gonna wait. No real need for a leather here in K-rock right now...

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
The Gooch said:
Ok, well how about this spin on things...I know the "reg" says our nametags should be first initial, middle initial, and last name, with rank and USMC below them. Now, personally, I like the wings + regular name below it. We looked around today and I did see one other squadron major with this patch (ie: Tipsy Gipsy brown one, etc), but as we all know, there's always going to be one guy. Any idea if that nametag would be kosher enough to stand in front of the MAG CO and not think he's going to chew my arse?

Besides, with my callsign, I figure I rate something like this...

Dude, I don't think "flaming homo" would look very professional in front of the MAG CO

The Gooch

FOD Eater
pilot
Awww come on...I'm just trying to be the screen so the rest of you guys don't have to get all nervous about him asking you questions...and I thought I told you, that callsign was secret!