• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
I believe if you attrite, you owe the Navy your jacket back.

If I had a dollar for every attrite I knew who held on to that jacket...I'd have 4 dollars...

East

东部
Contributor
Thanx for the update, know a lot more 'bout the history/heritage on these leather flight jackets. We are wearing the grey German leather variant which makes us all look like pussies iso aircrew.... :irked_125

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
If I had a dollar for every attrite I knew who held on to that jacket...I'd have 4 dollars...

Its not like anyone else would take it. reference the superstition thread. The last thing an SNA/SNFO wants is gear that already "smells" of failure.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Its not like anyone else would take it. reference the superstition thread. The last thing an SNA/SNFO wants is gear that already "smells" of failure.

True. They had one jacket my size when in API; it was "used." Didn't take it, thankyouveddymuch.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rumor has it that couple years ago, the CO of one of the FRS's would take flight gear, including the leather jacket, away from the attrites (sNFO's prewings..) and give the the leather jackets to the foreign officers doing exchange tours. Nice touch, skipper!

East

东部
Contributor
Rugger said:
Rumor has it that couple years ago, the CO of one of the FRS's would take flight gear, including the leather jacket, away from the attrites (sNFO's prewings..) and give the the leather jackets to the foreign officers doing exchange tours. Nice touch, skipper!

Sounds great! Which squadron that was....? :disguise_

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I was very surprised that when I left active duty no one asked me for ANY of my flight gear - including helmet, SV-2, SRU-21, nomex jackets, flight suits, dry suits, etc.

Flying EMS we got issued blue poly cotton fliht suits - it was nice recycling my issue royal blue nomex flight suits.

Anybody else remember blue flight suits?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was very surprised that when I left active duty no one asked me for ANY of my flight gear - including helmet, SV-2, SRU-21, nomex jackets, flight suits, dry suits, etc......Anybody else remember blue flight suits?
I got a couple of the blue flight suits when flying VIP in the C-12 @ NAS Dallas ..... and Ditto ... I still have my entire parachute bag, i.e., helmet, mask, and all equipment including, but not limited to G-suit, SV-2, PRC-90 radio, literally all of my issued equipment, blah, blah, blah .... they didn't want anything back when I retired.

Maybe I'll wear the full ensemble to a party sometime ..... and be somebody ??? :)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I got a couple of the blue flight suits when flying VIP in the C-12 @ NAS Dallas ..... and Ditto ... I still have my entire parachute bag, i.e., helmet, mask, and all equipment including, but not limited to G-suit, SV-2, PRC-90 radio, literally all of my issued equipment, blah, blah, blah .... they didn't want anything back when I retired.

Maybe I'll wear the full ensemble to a party sometime ..... and be somebody ??? :)

They didn't want ANYTHING? Dang, amazing...didn't expect that ...

Oh and the current word is that attrites are having to turn all their gear back in...

theduke

leather jacket regs for Marines

so what do we get put on this thing? nothing? just a nametag? velcro nametag and squadron patch, like a flight suit? any of the above?

what's it authorized to be worn with?

do you have to be old and salty to wear it without people looking at you like a Lieutenant sporting evening mess dress?

phrogpilot73

so what do we get put on this thing? nothing? just a nametag? velcro nametag and squadron patch, like a flight suit? any of the above?
Same regs as the nomex jackets. Name tag, plus one patch (i.e. squadron patch). Me? I personally only have my nametag.

zuggerat

george.jpeg

oh crap my bad... i've been wearing leathers like george michael