• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I haven't even worn mine yet. If I can get away with keeping it slick I will.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Is the jacket authorized for wear with the flight suit? I didn't seen anything in the regs that says it was or was not authorized.

riley

Technically it is only authorized for wear with your Service "B" and "C" uniforms. API students are not allowed to wear it with the flight suit. Once you are out of here, it sounds like it is a reg that is often ignored.

ItsTurboTime

BigWorm said:
Is that supposed to be funny? Do explain the basis for your humor

Office space.

10930f.jpg

The flair scene:
wallpaintingA.sized.jpg

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Malice 1 said:
If we buy our own jackets and riddle them with top gunish flair, are we considered fags?

depends. did you earn said flair or not?

if no, YES. and you will be called out on it.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Ok,that makes sense then... I just remember somebody making an asian joke - and watched Ryukiboy get all steamed up - wondering if he gets to pick and choose which races get to be made fun of type of thing.

sorry, claws retracted now...hoping for a fight.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Malice 1 said:
If we buy our own jackets and riddle them with top gunish flair, are we considered fags?

The Marine Corps does not do flair. Whether you earned said flair or not, you will be regarded as a complete homo and be banished to sit with the ship's SAR det at chow.

As far as wearing it with a flt suit, I've been around awhile now and have never heard anything about that not being authorized. It's not authorized as FLIGHT GEAR, since it's not flame retardant, in particular the faux fur collar. You can't wear it in the aircraft (oh, the irony). However, if I'm not on the schedule and am feeling particularly fashionable, I'll wear the leather jacket to work with my bag.

KBayDog

riley mcconnell said:
Technically it is only authorized for wear with your Service "B" and "C" uniforms. API students are not allowed to wear it with the flight suit. Once you are out of here, it sounds like it is a reg that is often ignored.

Eh, if you read the section of P1020.34G dealing with flight jackets, it specifies when you may wear the flight jacket with the Service uniforms, not that you can only wear it with the Service uniforms:

3. The flight jacket may be worn with the service uniform by only those Marines properly issued and required to maintain an authorized flight jacket according to existing regulations. The flight jacket may be worn with the service "B," "C," and service with sweater uniforms. These uniform
combinations will only be worn on base, or while traveling in a private/government vehicle between local military facilities, or to and from
a domicile. While traveling outside a military installation no stops are
permitted. The jacket will not be worn when the service "A" uniform is
considered more appropriate, nor will it be worn on leave or liberty, or with
the utility uniform or civilian clothing. When the flight jacket is worn
with the service uniform, only one unit/squadron (CNO/CMC approved) patch may be worn. The patch, if worn, will be on the right front of the jacket, level
with the nametape on the left side.
4. Listed are the four types of flight jackets authorized with the service
uniform:
a. Jacket, flying, men's intermediate, type G-1 (leather)
b. Jacket, suits, flying, winter (green, poopie suit liner)
c. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-45 sage green)
d. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-36 sage green)

Paragraph One states:
1. Aviation clothing and equipment will be as supplied by the U.S. Navy and
by the U.S. Marine Corps. Such clothing and equipment will be worn only when
and as prescribed by commanders.

In other words, wear of the leather jacket with the bag is up to the commander.

(That's how this former sea lawyer sees it, anyway ;) )

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
BigWorm said:
Ok,that makes sense then... I just remember somebody making an asian joke - and watched Ryukiboy get all steamed up - wondering if he gets to pick and choose which races get to be made fun of type of thing.

sorry, claws retracted now...hoping for a fight.

I think he, and the movie, were really knocking the Nazis and the management of TGIF-style restaurants, vice the people they coerce into wearing flair.

end threadjack...

MARINES...in spite of whatever weird-ass stuff your Navy buddies put on their jackets, DON'T DO IT! The IP who's done 1 float on a frigate and has a jacket that looks like a Hell's Angel's is bad enough. A student with weird patches deserves a beat down. Namepatch, squadron patch, and stop right there. You don't need a US flag on your shoulder--I know what country you're from. That's what the US in USMC is for on the namepatch. Same goes for the eagle, globe, and anchor on the other--check the MC part, not to mention the bad haircut.

Oh, your fun-meter's pegged? That one's hilarious! Never seen it before in my life! "Piss me off I'll lift your house!" oh, the humanity! A single deployment patch is okay, for while you're on deployment or just back from one. After that, forget it. :icon_hamm

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
phrogdriver said:
I think he, and the movie, were really knocking the Nazis and the management of TGIF-style restaurants, vice the people they coerce into wearing flair.

As usual, everyone got this except bigworm. Andy always was the slow kid.