• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

BrittO

pilot
Latest gouge

OK..here it is. I just went in for gear issue..was told that all those pilots leaving the area for primary can come back WITH ORDERS and they will either 1, issue a leather jacket OR measure you for one and ship it to you at some time. They DO HAVE SOME in right now but they would not tell me what sizes..the elderly lady was funny!!

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I went in today to see if I could pick mine up and they just stopped telling you "this month +3 months." Now it is indeed, "We'll ship it to you when we get your size in, long after you've left the area, and once we have a ready supply of jackets in your size collecting dust."

I forget how this backlog got started...did they forget that SNAs and SNFOs were coming through this year or what?

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
squeeze said:
If by "funny" you mean a raging b-tch, then yes, she is "funny"

I'm glad I am not the only one that wanted to knock her dentures out! My buddy and i went to get our jackets together and she freaked out when he let me try his on to check the size while I was waiting my turn. Then she told the guy behind me, who is larger than i am, that the size I got was too small for him. I almost peed myself laughing so hard. I had mine already so I was pretty sure at that point she couldn't take it back. What a senile b1tch!

THRILLER

Did some e-mailing (on the AF side of the house) and no one seems to know if AF students receive a Leather while at JSUPT. Any of you NAVY guys ever see an AF student pick one up?

If I'm able to, I'll try my best to get one while I'm down there in NASP...even though I don't plan on sporting it until I get my "Wings of Platinum" :D

Peace,

THRILLER

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I am here at Moody (Navy guy) and asked about y'all getting the jackets and the reply was that you won't get them until you get to your first operational squadron. On another note, there is one good thing about having to go to an AF base for primary. I got an entirely new gear issue, plus a watch. No leather jacket of course, but they did give me another set of the nomex ones and another pair of boots. Small victories around here.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
jg5343 said:
I got an entirely new gear issue, plus a watch. No leather jacket of course, but they did give me another set of the nomex ones and another pair of boots. Small victories around here.

Keep telling yourself that, I imagine you have to since you're at an AF base. :eek: :D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the few AF buds I have, I've heard those in the blue don't get thier jackets until they qualify at an operational squadron. What all that entails, I have no idea.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
From the few AF buds I have, I've heard those in the blue don't get thier jackets until they qualify at an operational squadron. What all that entails, I have no idea.

I'll make a semi-educated guess. My understanding is that the AF FRS just teaches the basic of flying the airplane (basic NATOPS qual), and it is in their first operational squadron where they learn tactics and qualify as a "warfighter". The Navy way is to teach the basic tactics at the FRS and leave the squadron to teach the advanced stuff.

If there is some AF dude on here to validate/shoot down this explanation, let's hear it!

THRILLER

jg5343 said:
I am here at Moody (Navy guy) and asked about y'all getting the jackets and the reply was that you won't get them until you get to your first operational squadron. On another note, there is one good thing about having to go to an AF base for primary. I got an entirely new gear issue, plus a watch. No leather jacket of course, but they did give me another set of the nomex ones and another pair of boots. Small victories around here.

JG,

Thanks for researching that for me. Much appreciated.

Peace,

THRILLER

B

Blutonski816

HooverPilot said:
I'll make a semi-educated guess. My understanding is that the AF FRS just teaches the basic of flying the airplane (basic NATOPS qual), and it is in their first operational squadron where they learn tactics and qualify as a "warfighter". The Navy way is to teach the basic tactics at the FRS and leave the squadron to teach the advanced stuff.

If there is some AF dude on here to validate/shoot down this explanation, let's hear it!

My Senior Marine Instructor From JROTC has a son who's a Herc Navigator in VMGRT-253. According to him, that is how the AF "RAG" is like... just learn the operate the aircraft, and learn the tricks of the trade when you go operational.

B

Blutonski816

RetreadRand said:
That's because it was written by a shoe, and who wants to listen to a shoe?

well, maybe if you're Maxwell Smart, but that was his phone...

2bf9049f.jpg

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
My brother was winged in May as an AF Pilot for the KC-10. He went straight to his operational squadron and they are teaching what amounts to a RAG course during his first 5 months aboard. After that he will be fully integrated into the unit and is able to deploy with them.