• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Cross-Country Thread: Rules, Regs, Destinations and Sea Stories

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
We had a LT fly up out of Lemoore. The "official" purpose was to give a bunch of mids a tour of an F-18. Then he spent two days at home visiting his parents. It's all about the wording.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We had a LT fly up out of Lemoore. The "official" purpose was to give a bunch of mids a tour of an F-18. Then he spent two days at home visiting his parents. It's all about the wording.

It's funny cause that guy is on AW and I remember trying to work out that visit like 3+ years ago...glad to see it finally worked out. I'm going to try and get a log leg or two and make it back to OR in a -45 for my upcoming airnav cross country....maybe work in an NROTC visit or something.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yes, but they are assigned to the Navy. We just paint "MARINES" on them because we're nice that way. :D

Which, by the way, one of my friends (Cobra guy instructing in HTs) used to request a "MARINES" helo from maintenance control on every CCX. They pretty much always hooked him up too. Another one of those things you never know until you ask...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah, those H-57 newschoppers look a lot tougher with "Marines" painted on the side. Cobra guys...you just have to shake your head and smile at their misplaced motivation and tough guy icy cold attitude.

MH-Z

pilot
Yeah, those H-57 newschoppers look a lot tougher with "Marines" painted on the side. Cobra guys...you just have to shake your head and smile at their misplaced motivation and tough guy icy cold attitude.

Although, who knew that the most robust navigation suite would be in that little TH-57?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Which, by the way, one of my friends (Cobra guy instructing in HTs) used to request a "MARINES" helo from maintenance control on every CCX. They pretty much always hooked him up too. Another one of those things you never know until you ask...

I had an IP who would MAF the aircraft if it didn't have "Marines" on the side.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had an IP who would MAF the aircraft if it didn't have "Marines" on the side.
That's quality.
It's funny cause that guy is on AW and I remember trying to work out that visit like 3+ years ago...glad to see it finally worked out. I'm going to try and get a log leg or two and make it back to OR in a -45 for my upcoming airnav cross country....maybe work in an NROTC visit or something.
In the old TS syllabus, it was doable in Phase II . . . it took all your AN legs, all your ONAV legs, and some LO legs from the IP to get to NUW and attempt the VR-1355. I know guys who did it. So I'm sure Oregon wouldn't be out of the question.

Don't know how the new Tailhook Intermediates/Jet Advanced thing flows out if there are still that many events.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That's quality.
In the old TS syllabus, it was doable in Phase II . . . it took all your AN legs, all your ONAV legs, and some LO legs from the IP to get to NUW and attempt the VR-1355. I know guys who did it. So I'm sure Oregon wouldn't be out of the question.

Don't know how the new Tailhook Intermediates/Jet Advanced thing flows out if there are still that many events.

Awesome is all I can say :D These days it seems like they try and throw a bunch of the road trip phase II stages into the El Centro det, so clearly there could be an issue there. Could be hope in airnavs though

Feet Wet

Although, who knew that the most robust navigation suite would be in that little TH-57?

Yeah, no kidding. RNAV approaches, airfield layout, services, frequencies....all at your disposal in a rinky f'n dink H-57....

Then you hit the fleet, where it is too expensive and daunting to get the same $10,000 piece of gear in your $60 million dollar A/C....go figure.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
T-34s: P'cola to San Diego

MH-60R: Got the good deal A/C transfer, Jax to San Diego. Ever smell "new helo"? :D

Just finished a UH-60M pickup from West Palm to Jacksonville this past week. It does't get much newer smelling than 10.4 hrs on the aircraft and primer paint still on it. I never got an aircraft delivery flight when I flew in the Navy, but I have picked up 6 brand new aircraft in the past 6 months flying for the Army National Guard.
  • Lakehurst,NJ to Ft. Riley, KS
  • West Palm Beach, FL to Jacksonville, FL
  • Lakehurst, NJ to Jacksonville, FL
  • West Palm Beach, FL to Jacksonville, FL
How do you like the Romeo?

Attachments

• Primer.jpg
    Primer.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 107

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Gotta love the last pickup and delivery mission we had.
The mission was to pickup 2 new UH-60Ms at the factory in West Palm Beach, FL, fly one to Lakehurst, NJ and the other to Huntsville, AL. Then, pickup a new HH-60M at Lakehurst and fly it to Jacksonville, FL. We took off from WPB as a flight of 2. The wx got so bad we had to break up and pickup IFR clearances into Cecil Field. We continued on as a single ship IFR in VMC to North Myrtle Beach with a 40 kt tail wind. 30 Miles out we go into the goo and shoot the ILS to a 400' ceiling and 1.5 in rain & mist. We plan to stay overnight at CRE, let the snow storm in the NE pass through, then make our way north as the snow is cleared. Unfortunately, the storm stalls, hits the next day, and pounds VA to NY with snow. Lakehurst is closed for the rest of the week due to limited snow removal capabilities, so we head back to Cecil, do 9-11 retorques, and plan to go up a week later.

A week later we fly to North Myrtle Beach and shoot the ILS to 700' OVC, an ILS to 200' OVC in MD, and a TACAN to 650 OVC in NJ. The next day, after completing the turnover paperwork, we need to get out of NJ in 600' OVC before the next storm hits later that day. On preflight I notice weights in only one quadrant of the tail rotor and think that is odd. I pull up IVHMS after the startup and see the tail vibes are at .4 IPS (.2 IPS is max allowable). We shutdown, call FSS to change our takeoff time, and make the corrections to the tail. An hour later, we get a SVFR clearance to fly around the pattern, dash out at Vh, see if anything shakes loose, then return to pickup our IFR clearance. We finally leave Lakehurst in IMC with a clearance to 5000'. F-16s at 6000' report light rime icing, so we turn on the windshield deice, main/tail rotor deice, and engine anti-ice (pitot heat was already on). Glad we checked all of that during the start-up. Now we will have to consider the added fuel consumption. We breakout at Salisbury somewhere around 700'. So much for the forecast 1000' SCT. Kinston's ASOS is reporting clear skies and 10 miles. We arrive to a SCT layer at 1000' with mist and less than 3 miles visibility. Of course we can see even less down through the SCT layer, so it is vectors to the ILS for us. We see the field on downwind leg and proceed with a visual approach. The rest of the flight to VQQ was VFR, with no incidents, except for snow flurries in SC and the 40 kts cross wind and moderate turbulence.

Total flight time was 21.2 hours, 8.7 IMC.

I'm ready to wait until spring before doing one of those again.

Attachments

• IMAG0071..jpg
    IMAG0071..jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0069..jpg
    IMAG0069..jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 46

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know it's bad when the helo guys are picking up IFR clearances. :)