• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
If you want to be on the cover of any magazine, the best insider's tip I can give anyone is to shoot more vertical shots as you have to take into consideration the format of a cover. It increases your Pp (probability of publication) exponentially.
Another tip is to call the editor and ask what they're interested in and send some shots. Hook, Approach, Wings of Gold and Naval Aviation News are always on the lookout for cover shots because they're much harder to find and need to be composed, lit and overall better images than editorial imagery.

Speaking as one of the guys who picks out what goes on covers.... ^^^what HeyJoe said...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ, what sort of camera and lenses did you carry in the cockpit to take your pictures. It would seem to me that you couldn't have any more than one in the cockpit.

I started shooting in wet film era and had a Canon product that I upgraded through the years (lens and bodies). When deployed, the ship gave me one of their Canon F1 kits so I'd shoot E-6 (Ektachrome slides) in one camera and and C-41 (print) in the other. As a typical O-3 JO with a family, I didn't have that much disposable income so I went for a 28-105mm lens out of the AAFES catalog on cruise. I never needed anything else. As far as bodies, I started with an AE-1P that was my primary until the EOS line offered some sweet models with auto-focus so I picked up a Rebel and an Elan later. Note: I do not recommend using auto-focus or exposure for air-to-air because you can miss a shot or exposure letting "Betty" figure it out for you.

As to how many in the cockpit, the Tomcat cockpit is very roomy. I'd always have two and a third if I scored some Kodachrome (some air-to-air opportunities are so fleeting that you have to have the camera ready-to-go). CIVIC used to give Ready Rooms a low-end CANON with B&W film and fixed focus (pilot proof for those single seat guys I suppose). Once my shooting became known, I never had to carry one. A lot of plane captains and other troopers would ask me to take their cameras up for them and I never said no so my record was 8 cameras on a single flight (once was enough).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking as one of the guys who picks out what goes on covers.... ^^^what HeyJoe said...

There's lead for you right there (Hint, hint, make friends and start a dialogue with Jan!). Another hint is leave plenty of space around subject for the Magazine logo and other graphics they use. The T-45 shot I posted of yours is crowded at the top so a magazine would be hard-pressed to squeeze in their logo. Talking to the editor is the gouge. Luckily for me, the founding editor of Hook used to host a sidebar gathering at Tailhook every year for photographers, aritists, editors and writers. You could bring a slide carousel of your images and you'd get critiqued and make contacts with editors who'd tell you what they looked for. That's where I met Old R.O. and all the top names in the business.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Thanks for all the great advice. Hopefully, I'll have my wings by the next Tailhook and have a chance to meet many of you. But until then, I'll keep shooting and posting.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Turtl3 said:
More T-45!

Some Weps det action from this past January, yours truly in 293.

Attachments

• DSCF0613.jpg
    DSCF0613.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF0625.jpg
    DSCF0625.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF0633.jpg
    DSCF0633.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF0608.jpg
    DSCF0608.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0589.jpg
    DSCF0589.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 117

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
If you want to be on the cover of any magazine, the best insider's tip I can give anyone is to shoot more vertical shots as you have to take into consideration the format of a cover. It increases your Pp (probability of publication) exponentially. Once I started doing that, I started racking up magazine covers right and left (12 and counting from Approach to AvWeek and jackpot of having Wings of Gold and Proceedings with the same image in same month; much to their chagrin). I would say I have my camera in vertical mode way more than horizontal just because it frames the subject better anyway.

This is a worthy vertical from your shots

attachment.php

Another tip is to call the editor and ask what they're interested in and send some shots. Hook, Approach, Wings of Gold and Naval Aviation News are always on the lookout for cover shots because they're much harder to find and need to be composed, lit and overall better images than editorial imagery.
My biggest problem is getting in the air to get the right shot. :(

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My biggest problem is getting in the air to get the right shot. :(

Patience. I carried cameras everywhere and, even when I flew, getting interesting shots was once in maybe 20 or so flights due to weather or other factors. Takes a lot of patience and dedication to having a camera at the ready when the opportunity presents itself.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Patience. I carried cameras everywhere and, even when I flew, getting interesting shots was once in maybe 20 or so flights due to weather or other factors. Takes a lot of patience and dedication to having a camera at the ready when the opportunity presents itself.
I know this is true, my problem is actually getting airborne, I'm not active duty and not in a flying status. In fact you could say I'm handicapped. It sucks to be me , but I still keep trying to get the right shot.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Question: Not to throw anyone under the bus here, but are you guys allowed to take pics in Jet-land? I'm pretty sure in helo-land we are strictly prohibited from taking pics inside the helo, even as a backseat observer. I'm not going to speculate as to how many/who takes pics and who doesn't. I'm sure you'll find many pics on FB or whatever, but officially, we aren't allowed to. Just curious if you guys were different.

MasterBates

You could bring cameras up if you weren't flying.

I had pics taken of my form solo. Had a friend jump in lead's open backseat. We just laynarded the camera to his torso harness.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Question: Not to throw anyone under the bus here, but are you guys allowed to take pics in Jet-land?....

Why .... no, we're not ....
:)

Another prohibition was taking a CAT shot w/ a tennis racquet up on the glareshield ... it was thought to be bad for morale if the troops saw it .... :)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm pretty sure in helo-land we are strictly prohibited from taking pics inside the helo, even as a backseat observer.

If memory serves and I'm not mistaken, that restriction is a TW-5 wide ban on inflight photography and it grew out of a 1998 mishap down in the Keys. Pretty sure it's just stayed in the FWOP and RWOP ever since, simple as that. This is all I could find on the mishap:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....=t-34+group:rec.aviation.military.naval&pli=1

plus an honorable mention near the bottom of of one of webmaster's old posts (look for June 11, 1998):

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181&highlight=largo+1998

Status
Not open for further replies.