• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yes - in addition to Alameda, there was the sub base at Mare Island, Hunter's Point ship yard, the Concord Naval Weapon's station, Oak Knoll Naval Hospital, and Treasure Island Naval Station. And not just Navy - the Coast Guard station on Yerba Buena Island, the Presidio (Army), the Army base (I forget it's name) on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge, mostly housing, but they also had Nike missile batteries there, the Oakland Army Depot, and the Army Air Field in Navato.

Don't forget Treasure Island. Was out there for classes a couple times and rented boats for excursions on the Bay.

brownshoe

Contributor
95d015b3.jpg

Thanks I can’t even count how many trips to the boat I made in one of these.

Steve

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
We had two new aircraft show up on the other side of the flight line this week. Looks like someone is starting a fire base here.
P3firebomber.jpg

P2neptune.jpg

These were the best shots I could get from my vantage point.

exhelodrvr

pilot
How could we 'forget'??? ... *Think CSSP* .... GASP !!?? :eek::D

We lived in a "fiveplex" on Yerba Buena Island at the very bottom right of that picture from 1989-1991 while I was at Alameda. Incredible view from the back porch - Golden Gate and Alcatraz in the middle, downtown SF/Fisherman's Wharf on the left, San Rafael Bridge on the right.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Is that a P-2? I always thought the combination of prop engines and turbines was interesting. Same thing goes for the B-36 and the C-123.
Yes it is, I had to stop and ask the company fire department what was up with the 2 planes. I was told they will be flying fire bomber missions out of TSTC Airport till we get some much needed rain.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
...more from the land of Orange and Whites...

Pictures from our div form arrival into Key West for the March det. More to come... depending on L3......

Maybe one day I will see some of these on the cover of Naval Aviation News... HJ sure has some big shoes to fill!

Attachments

• IMG_2032.JPG
    IMG_2032.JPG
    549.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    555 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    545.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    631.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    603.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    646.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    591.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2066.JPG
    IMG_2066.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    602.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2073.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG
    713.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    631.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2075.JPG
    IMG_2075.JPG
    599.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2078.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    611.2 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    709.4 KB · Views: 199

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe one day I will see some of these on the cover of Naval Aviation News... HJ sure has some big shoes to fill!

If you want to be on the cover of any magazine, the best insider's tip I can give anyone is to shoot more vertical shots as you have to take into consideration the format of a cover. It increases your Pp (probability of publication) exponentially. Once I started doing that, I started racking up magazine covers right and left (12 and counting from Approach to AvWeek and jackpot of having Wings of Gold and Proceedings with the same image in same month; much to their chagrin). I would say I have my camera in vertical mode way more than horizontal just because it frames the subject better anyway.

This is a worthy vertical from your shots

attachment.php

Another tip is to call the editor and ask what they're interested in and send some shots. Hook, Approach, Wings of Gold and Naval Aviation News are always on the lookout for cover shots because they're much harder to find and need to be composed, lit and overall better images than editorial imagery.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
HJ, what sort of camera and lenses did you carry in the cockpit to take your pictures. It would seem to me that you couldn't have any more than one in the cockpit.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
When I uploaded the pics to my computer and saw the close up of the jet in the turn-away, I immediately thought of your Tomcat picture inbound to the boat, and realized that it would have been much better if the shot had been vertical.

I'll try and take the composition and lighting in my shots more now. At first, I was just snapping images just to take them. That, and I'm just using a measly Canon Powershot. Gonna have to splurge for the Nikon, but the small one is just easier to stow in the nav bag. Thanks for all the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.