• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcquate

Contributor
I think the doors were removed during Desrt Storm for the same reason. I guess the "curl" had not been perfected yet.

81montedriver

pilot
How about a KF-4?
Our OPs O once gave a brief on shipboard TV about the many capabilities of the F-4... including tanking. But the Boat's Captain (a former attack driver) raised the BS flag!

Later our OPs O brought the Captain a copy of our F-4 NATOPS containing the section on how the F-4 was equipped and capable of carrying a refueling Buddy Store.... not that they ever did. The F-4 would run out of their own gas before they could give any.

View attachment 12124

Thanks for including the diagram. I had no idea that the buddy store was a combination IFR pod/fuel tank. A lot of people think the IFR pod on the Herk doubles as a fuel tank but it is exclusively just an IFR pod. Between the reel holding 85 feet of hose and the associated hydraulic/fuel plumbing, there is no room leftover for fuel. Not that it matters since our externals hold nearly 9000lbs each!

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
That USN tanker is no Boeing product... I have to say though, Convair made some real Buck Rodgers looking shit.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Crazy...I had never heard of the refueling convair. Interesting stuff. I still think it is amusing that our armed forces can't agree on one refueling method but at the same time can understand why. It seems like boom refueling is kind of impractical from a navy standpoint since we can't refuel that way around the boat. I cannot imagine, however, trying to maneuver a probe on a 707 type aircraft into a basket. Our "fly by cable" controls are heavy and there is a lot of lag. I would love to try it though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Our "fly by cable" controls are heavy and there is a lot of lag. I would love to try it though.

That might actually be advantageous. I stab like an inmate, and while it gets in there, 70% of the time it looks ugly and spastic. Not having the control authority/response to do this might have the end result of being smoother. Who knows though

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for including the diagram. I had no idea that the buddy store was a combination IFR pod/fuel tank.
The Skyhawk's D-904 AR Pod (Buddy Store) is also a 300 gl. fuel tank; however, is never used for that except when airborne with 3 full external tanks and no fuel delivered.

For extra-long rang flights, a 400 gl. "slick" tank would replace the AR Pod on the centerline station (same weight - less drag = more range).:)
Buddy Store.jpgBuddy Store-2.jpg
BzB

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
What kind of plane is refueling the Scooter in the top pic?

It was a UC-880, owned by the Pax River guys, not only outfitted as a tanker, but as an airborne command post, so-to-speak. I tanked off of it once when the guys from Pax were testing the early versions of the sub-launched cruise missiles. We (VC-12) provided a couple of chase TA-4's with photographers in back that ran around in circles along with an A-6 and an F-4 out of Pax that had over-ride control capability, circling a buoy off the Gulf Coast of Florida, waiting for the submerged sub to launch the missile. After it launched, we latched on and chased it while it flew its low level route through Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and then parachuted to a soft landing at the Eglin Ranges. We actually launched early in the TA-4's, flew the low-level route as a wx recce, tanked off the UC-880 which was also operating as the airborne command post, then joined up with the A-6 and F-4 at 500' orbiting the buoy-marked launch position. Once the missile launched, whoever first spotted it had the lead chasing it, because it was really hard to see. Everyone else joined up and then the A-6 and F-4 took a position on each wing and the TA-4's just flew around with the photographers snapping pictures. It was a lot of fun. We were briefed that there were rumors that Greenpeace had found out about the proposed launch and route and had plans to try to capture the missile with nets and helium balloons. Seemed pretty far fetched to us but we were to be on the lookout for suspicious activity while flying the wx recce. That gave us a license to steal, making super low passes over Winnebagos on I-10.

Chase.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It was a UC-880, owned by the Pax River guys, not only outfitted as a tanker, but as an airborne command post, so-to-speak. I tanked off of it once when the guys from Pax were testing the early versions of the sub-launched cruise missiles. We (VC-12) provided a couple of chase TA-4's with photographers in back that ran around in circles along with an A-6 and an F-4 out of Pax that had over-ride control capability, circling a buoy off the Gulf Coast of Florida, waiting for the submerged sub to launch the missile. After it launched, we latched on and chased it while it flew its low level route through Alabama, Georgia, and Florida and then parachuted to a soft landing at the Eglin Ranges. We actually launched early in the TA-4's, flew the low-level route as a wx recce, tanked off the UC-880 which was also operating as the airborne command post, then joined up with the A-6 and F-4 at 500' orbiting the buoy-marked launch position. Once the missile launched, whoever first spotted it had the lead chasing it, because it was really hard to see. Everyone else joined up and then the A-6 and F-4 took a position on each wing and the TA-4's just flew around with the photographers snapping pictures. It was a lot of fun. We were briefed that there were rumors that Greenpeace had found out about the proposed launch and route and had plans to try to capture the missile with nets and helium balloons. Seemed pretty far fetched to us but we were to be on the lookout for suspicious activity while flying the wx recce. That gave us a license to steal, making super low passes over Winnebagos on I-10.

View attachment 12127

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the good story....form with a cruise missile sounds fun.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Back in the 70's, Delta had some CV-880s & 990s. They were fast - cruised at M.90 or something. Inside they were skinny and carried only about 2/3 the pax load of a B-707. IOW, they were $$ losers and were gone w/in 10 yrs.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any interesting stories from these trips?
Are you kidding? Of course!!!!!! The ferry flight took over a month to complete, and we were on State Department Per Diem, which was over 3-times Navy Per Diem rates. Spent it all, and then some!

Unfortunately the stories ( and they are absolutely unbelievable memories ) are not for publication.... not here or anywhere... even via PM. Leave it to your imagination. Then add some. We 6 dudes were rock stars at Gumman, in the Hamptons, in Torremolinos, even in Iran, in Rome, and all places in between! Suffice it to say we saw, did, and experienced a whole lot of incredible shit! Oh yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.