• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
But that is standard fare for the typical JMO student the night before papers are due....
Pags, don't be glaring at me, I'm not in Newport anymore. Unless you're taking JMO through CDE in Jax... then you can be glaring at me.
The night is still young and the one bottle is still 1/2 full.

sickboy

pilot
I was a volunteer tour guide on Olympia throughout high school (04-08). Even then, she was in pretty rough shape. She'd ground herself every day at low tide, and the hull was rusted through in some points. Considering they've essentially neglected her since (lack of funding), I'm sure things are much worse. It's a damn shame, but I can't see another organization saving her; it would take millions just to get her to drydock.

I wandered around the pier JFK and Forrestal are berthed at earlier this year. Both are in pretty sad shape. I'll see if I can get some up to date exterior shots of them while I'm home on POM.

Last I heard the seaport museum got just enough money to keep it from getting worse, not actually fix the problem. Not sure how the sub is doing, that thing is pretty old too.

WEGL12

VT-28
Last I heard the seaport museum got just enough money to keep it from getting worse, not actually fix the problem. Not sure how the sub is doing, that thing is pretty old too.

That is similar to the problem Patriots Point faces. It's a state owned agency but the state doesn't supply any money to the overall operations and maintenance of the ships. The museum's annual profit goes towards the maintenance of the ships however there is only around one million dollars profit each year. Sounds like a lot but that barely touches the cost of repairs required for the Yorktown. The state stepped in and saved the Laffey a few years ago by loaning 10 million to the agency but sounds like many bridges were burned in that deal and the state won't help in any further emergencies. Currently the agency can only afford to do temporary repairs that delay the major repairs to the hull.

Alpha_Echo_606

Contributor
Time to put this thread back on track.
photo-day.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Contributor
snow.jpg

A U.S. Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with Alpha Company, 5th Battalion, 101st Combat Aviation Brigade conducts a run-up during a winter storm at Bagram Airfield in Parwan province, Afghanistan, Dec. 27, 2012. (DoD photo by Sgt. Duncan Brennan, U.S. Army/Released)

Alpha_Echo_606

Contributor
osprey-2.jpg

U.S. Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey aircraft with Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 161 land at a forward operating base in Afghanistan Dec. 24, 2012, as the commandant and sergeant major of the Marine Corps visit deployed troops over the Christmas holiday. (DoD photo by Master Sgt. Brenda Varnadore, U.S. Marine Corps/Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.