• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery...part DEUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
daily_gifdump_611_01.gif

*found on thechive, not my image.

Looks like a -60R?? Anybody know the back story on it? Or, even if it is one of ours?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
*found on thechive, not my image.

Looks like a -60R?? Anybody know the back story on it? Or, even if it is one of ours?

It's a Hotel and I'm guessing it's East County. I don't know the background, but it can be seen in one of the SEAL documentaries on the Discovery Channel...the one where they follow the class. I think they were using it as "file footage," so I'm not sure where it originally came from. Definitely sporty.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Yes, I do see the difference now. Thanks for the correction. I am pretty sure I have seen that documentary, but do not remember the footage. Thank you for the info.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Just think, if everything goes okay for you Hoya, you'll have the privilege of working alongside people like BzB and Ron as I did. Like BzB says that photo was kinda of an everyday site for us (Corkyboy, Derf and the rest of the crowd). In the meantime enjoy your time at Georgetown and have a drink for me. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2011/07/10/gIQAAEveII_story.html (Miss that place. ;))

Don't want to get too off topic, but I've heard many crazy stories from my alumni family members that used to go to the Bayou and the other, long-gone college bars that characterized Georgetown in the 70s and 80s. I feel like I missed out because the area is so gentrified now and the neighborhood essentially kicked out all but a few college bars, but luckily other parts of DC have picked up the slack. ;)

jmcquate

Contributor
The Bayou was a blast ..........just a stumble away from the Key Bridge Marriott, great live music. Nathans was fun too. Georgetown is just chain stores and a cupcake shop now.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Stopped for lunch in Victoria the other day:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 86

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Mig Hunters.jpg

Aircrews from Fighter Squadron (VF) 21 debrief on board the aircraft carrier Midway (CVA 41) after scoring naval aviation's first MiG kills of the Vietnam War on June 17, 1965, forty-nine years ago today. Standing left to right are Lieutenant Dave Batson, Commander Louis Page, Lieutenant Commander Rob Doremus, and Lieutenant J.C. Smith. The coffee mugs are filled with medicinal scotch.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^Don't forget the smokes!! Luckys or Camels....the key to a meaningful debrief/AAR.
Wow, this post instantly brought to mind an A-7E accident in 1973. A 2-plane flight out of Lemoore on a night round-robin nav. Over the SF Bay area at altitude, the leader checking his wingman, lost sight of, and couldn't raise him on the radio. While discussing the situation with Center, he observed a huge explosion/fireball below, smack in the middle of the City of Alameda.

It was, as he had feared, his 'wingie'. The Corsair in a steep high speed dive, had impacted a 4-story apartment building, killing 10 on the ground, the pilot, and setting afire two adjacent apartment buildings.:(

Long story short, the AAR board determined that a horrific fire had occurred in the cockpit, from evidence of cockpit charring. It was further determined that the pilot, known to have often removed his mask and smoked in flight, had suffered an incapacitating oxygen explosion and fire in his cockpit:eek:.

*Obviously... smoking can occasionally be hazardous to one's health in more ways than one!:(
BzB

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Bleriot 1.jpg Bleriot 2.jpg

Something for you vintage airplane fans. This Bleriot replica was built and is flown by an old college friend. He's planning on flying it to Oshkosh this year so if you're there, look him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.