• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Anthropometric Thread: Do you fit??

pdx

HSM Pilot
^ and the ladies! Lets go the other direction. I am 5'3, about 128lbs...SOMEHOW I passed my commissioning flight physical even though I really didn't think I would. I am still freaking out that shi** is gonna hit the fan when/if I get to Pcola. Any of you know any little pilots because I am very happy to use a butt cushion or even some platform boots! haha seriously though...=)

There are students (and instructors) that use the butt/back cushions with no problems. Also, the shortest chick I know in flight school is 5'3 in boots. As gatordev said, get the Schools Command (NASC) guide and measure yourself if you are curious.

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/anthro_/index.htm

It tells you exactly how to measure yourself and exactly what the requirements are for any platform and/or training pipeline. Also, it has links to the actual instructions (OPNAVINST 3710.37, OPNAVINST 3710.9, BUMEDINST 3710.?, etc)

Airwarriors is a great resource for discussing personal experiences, opinions, and all sorts of other things that you can't get out of books or pubs. However, I would advise everyone on this site to go to the source (i.e. the pubs) with technical questions. The reason is that things change, and even someone who has gone through an experience (anthro problems, for example) doesn't know all the details. If you can't find the pubs yourself (I realize this can be hard), post here and ask how to find them. I guarantee it will be more useful to you than hearing a bunch of stories.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However, I would advise everyone on this site to go to the source (i.e. the pubs) with technical questions. The reason is that things change, and even someone who has gone through an experience (anthro problems, for example) doesn't know all the details.
Spoken like a true SWO. Oh wait, nevermind. You're an aviator. Your answer threw me for a loop....briefly.

Jay

There are students (and instructors) that use the butt/back cushions with no problems.

You can butt/back cushion all you want in non-ejection seat Primary as well as non-ejection seat Helo land, but I promise you that you will not butt/back cushion anything that has an ejection seat on it, period, anywhere, no chance. If I'm wrong, I'd be very surprised.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You can butt/back cushion all you want in non-ejection seat Primary as well as non-ejection seat Helo land, but I promise you that you will not butt/back cushion anything that has an ejection seat on it, period, anywhere, no chance. If I'm wrong, I'd be very surprised.

I'm guessing you're wrong. This was an issue on the OAG (that's the right acronym, right?) two years ago about getting better seat cushions, and not just in helos and the T-34. The primary reason it was a priority is that some people were using butt/back pads in ejection seats. Obviously this is an issue because of what you're alluding to. <Boom> <Smack> Ow!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Just because people are using cushions does not mean they're legal. This came up at our OAG/SSWG too. There is no funding for it.

Note: If you're trying to write a HAZREP or request for something like this, make sure the word "comfort" is nowhere in it. Instant proposal killer. The Man is keeping us down.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Man...

Is it just me or am I seeing a bunch of threads on height restrictions??

I'm only 5'8"... It sounds like I'm gonna be a shrub in a forest of Redwoods...

How'd you get in? When I joined the Navy you had to be at least 6' tall (I'm 6"1"), have striking features, and cut a sharp figure in choker whites.

I guess standards have changed...

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
the real deal

NAMI needs to nail this stuff down, I would like to see the example of who got maimed ejecting out of a prowler because they were 1/4 of an inch too tall... Ejecting is inherently dangerous, one should expect to get hurt. Folks are getting anthroed INTO EA-6B's because all of their classmates "don't fit" while their less talented brethren move on to jets they are inherently less capable of flying. Maybe the source of SOD's at the FRS's??? Go watch a Prowler land at night on the boat on a black pitching deck night.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Spoken like a true SWO. Oh wait, nevermind. You're an aviator. Your answer threw me for a loop....briefly.

Ouch. I repent of my foolish fact spreading, just don't say the S word again.

And now for a completely unfounded rumor. I heard the HSL guys are going on strike if people keep calling them flying shoes.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm guessing you're wrong. This was an issue on the OAG (that's the right acronym, right?) two years ago about getting better seat cushions, and not just in helos and the T-34. The primary reason it was a priority is that some people were using butt/back pads in ejection seats. Obviously this is an issue because of what you're alluding to. <Boom> <Smack> Ow!

They may be talking about the seat pads that are actually part of the seat and have become worn and unserviceable over the years, as opposed to people bringing things into the cockpit with them. That is something I've never seen in the Prowler community.

Brett