• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Anthropometric Thread: Do you fit??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
Man...I'm only 5'8"... It sounds like I'm gonna be a shrub in a forest of Redwoods...
Well ... let's hope not ... a former Amigo ... 5'8" and an OUTSTANDING bomber pilot --- a Brother forever. He was even Italian. From Penn State.

My roommate for one cruise. And a DELTA Captain today ... :)

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
does it have to do with the head penetrating the canopy before the seat? thank god I was a 300+ pound offensive lineman when I got measured. The butt was a little thicker back then and made the sitting height much more.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I guess you're just lucky. I'm 6'4" and 205. I still fit in them, although I've never been fit-checked in them. It seemed fine to me when I sat in one.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have met several extraordinarily tall TACAIR guys (including a 6'5" ex-Tomcat RIO).....and I also personally know a guy from my school who was recently NPQ'd for jets because of his size and he is only 6'2". From what I can tell, it is the bulk, and not just the height.....this guy was just really large. Not sure what his sitting height was, but I'm pretty sure (from what I remember anyhow) it wasn't excessive. But trying to fit him into the relatively (laterally) tight confines of a jet cockpit, and you can imagine the problems he would encounter. I would say that if you are a tall skinny guy with a normal sitting height you will more than likely be okay. But then again, what do I know:icon_wink

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Maybe so. I'm not "skinny" anymore (6'4", 205) and I'm pretty long legged, so a short sitting height. In the TA-4J I used to have a constant bruise on each knee and both shoulders just from the cramped cockpit. No offense to your buddy, but you'd have to be pretty damn wide to be too wide.

I had an on-wing at the RAG who was an academy football player. He was as tall as me, but WAY wider and heavier. He's flying Harriers today. Go figure.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One has to wonder who comes up with the measurements, or at least the accuracy thereof. I fit in the Prowler apparently yet at 5'9", 140lbs I am Anthro'd out of the T-2, Harrier, and F-14D. Not the A or B, just the D. :confused: Not that I'll be flying any of them anyway, it's just weird.

And it's a mystery how some of the guys walking around TW-1 fit into the T-45. I guess they just pray the MDC works.

MasterBates

I'm 6'3.5" and 245 (was about 210 in Flight School).

The only jet I anthro'd out of was the prowler. Hip-Knee length is too long.

Outside of ejection seat aircraft, I have seen the navy really not care about anthros. I am "too big" for the SH-60s, but here I am. We have a SHORT pilot who cannot start the opposite engine from his seat. But he is OK too.

My head constanlty bounces off the rotor brake HYD line and my inside knee is constantly jammed into the dash.

Kycntryboy

pilot
MIDNJAC said:
NPQ'd for jets because of his size and he is only 6'2". From what I can tell, it is the bulk, and not just the height
I'm probably going to be tangoing with that problem. 6'1'' 220 lbs. (Look at the avatar for a pic of me in action). ...Where was the dude large at Midnjac upper body, lower body or both that NPQ'd him?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are several people your size in TW-1 right now and supposedly the T-45 cockpit is smaller than the fleet jets. Although it is an advantage be to a little skinny guy (like me) as you have more room to move around and stow all your flying paraphernalia (sp?). We just had a giant of a Marine check in, the dude's gotta be 6'4" at least. I guess he fits, but I don't envy him . . .

FLY_USMC

pilot
nittany03 said:
yet at 5'9", 140lbs
I was always told the big gotcha for the Prowler is having a sitting height over 37.4" which really isn't that hard to have, will anthro you out of it. Of course, it could have something to do with the fact you only weigh 15 lbs more than my girlfriend and ejecting would send you to the moon and you'd never see Earth again! Just kidding.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I know the Marine you're talking about, great guy, I think you were right on,
6'4" and about 235 or so. If I remember right, he fits fine, but he's about as close to being on the edge as you can get, and still fit.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FLY_USMC said:
I was always told the big gotcha for the Prowler is having a sitting height over 37.4" which really isn't that hard to have, will anthro you out of it. Of course, it could have something to do with the fact you only weigh 15 lbs more than my girlfriend and ejecting would send you to the moon and you'd never see Earth again! Just kidding.
I'm the perfect size for a pilot, I swear. Lots of room in the cockpit, I'm still in parameters for all the fleet ejection seats and at least I know:
a) I won't bust the canopy with my head (or is it the other way around), and
b) I'll clear the tail (unlike the bigger guys).

Plus, if I do get shot down, I'm a small target. If not . . . well . . . it would be cool.

4.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
nittany03 said:
One has to wonder who comes up with the measurements, or at least the accuracy thereof. I fit in the Prowler apparently yet at 5'9", 140lbs I am Anthro'd out of the T-2, Harrier, and F-14D. Not the A or B, just the D. :confused: Not that I'll be flying any of them anyway, it's just weird.

And it's a mystery how some of the guys walking around TW-1 fit into the T-45. I guess they just pray the MDC works.

If I remember right, F-14 and EA-6B have the same Martin Baker GRU/EA-7 ejection seat (don't know about the T-2 or Harrier). It could be an ejection seat safety criteria thing....I remember one of the JO's from a Prowler squadron on my 2/c cruise telling me that the "little" guys (referring to me, at 5'10 and 160) have a very high probability of being seriously injured during the ejection sequence vs. some of the larger guys. He indicated that the NACES seats in the F/A-18/T-45 didn't have this problem, for whatever reason. I have no idea if your NPQ had anything to do with this, but its a guess. Anyone know anything about this?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's amazing how much energy and posts people will devote to this. For the umpteenth time, it's not overall height and weight, it's all the antro measurements that make up your total "package," if you will. Follow the link Feddoc posted, and it will answer all your questions.

The main problem I've seen is whomever the HMHN doing the measurement at NAMI just doesn't know what they're doing, and ends up NPQ'ing people that I know will fit in a helo. Right now, it's bad juju to try and update your anthro once in the pipeline. I'm sure that's subject to change, along w/ everything else, in time.