• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS The Faces Of Naval Aviation Fighting ISIS

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
They are very aware of the risks.

They who? The PAO, the brass, or the aircrew? Are their families aware? Did they get a chance to weigh in? This affects them too. While it's fair to argue none of the guys from that list (or their families) have been harmed, I still wouldn't want my family to have anything else to worry about because I did an interview with the NYT or anyone else. A lot of the guys' families from that original "kill" list have taken the threat very seriously, and I don't blame them.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
They who? The PAO, the brass, or the aircrew? Are their families aware? Did they get a chance to weigh in? This affects them too. While it's fair to argue none of the guys from that list (or their families) have been harmed, I still wouldn't want my family to have anything else to worry about because I did an interview with the NYT or anyone else. A lot of the guys' families from that original "kill" list have taken the threat very seriously, and I don't blame them.

Dude, read the bottom of the photo essay. Some names were withheld at the request of the aircrew (the pics with callsign only), so they were given an option. I think it's a bit brash of them to put their name out there and wouldn't do it personally, but if they did it willingly and knowing the risk, then that's on them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I am pretty sure no one forced them to be interviewed or pictured, they are professionals just like me and you so I trust them to make the right decisions for themselves. If you want to do something different that is your choice.

jmcquate

Contributor
Always be careful about getting stars in your eyes with the press. Read about Robbie Risner kiddies. The North Vietnamese made him pay because of a Time cover.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
I know, honestly the aviators should have just used their callsigns, it's not worth the risk to me and it'll be confusing to them why someone would be named "Taco", "Rip" or "Chilly".

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Man, strange to see operators on the front line voluntarily putting themselves out there like that. You'd never see an active special warfare operator conducting business that way.

I disagree with the pilots who chose to participate, and would personally not do it. However, it seems they had the ability to make a choice and they made a poor one in my opinion.

I wonder what the regulations are concerning releasing press regarding special warfare operators faces and names and what kind of god awful calamity has to ensue for those regulations to make their way into our airwings.

Last edited:

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks

Thanks Pickle, do I look like this to you? :confused:

Responds+to+film+which+presents+muslims+as+being+savage+and+_fddd471cbcfcfea89940c08c089c515d.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I remember seeing some pretty cute female reporters on the boat when we first arrived in theater last summer (or I guess for the third time). Even after 60 days underway, I wouldn't have volunteered my name. But maybe there was more to the story than that. Article sucks.......reville? (I don't even know how to spell that because I have never heard it) 9G in an F/A-18? TR maintainers must love that :)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This. Someone I know is on the list because he was on the news as the face of a highly publicized SAR event. This just proves ISIS is a bunch of dick bags who just want American military members they can find, even if they were publicized for doing good shit.