• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

gnarbot

Hey guys

So I asked my optometrist how good my eyes are and she says I have 20/20, which makes no sense to me because I have a prescription of -1.25 on my left and -.25 on my right. But she went on this long explanation that 20/20 just means you can see an object 20 ft away 20ft away. So then why do I have a prescription? Does this mean I have 20/20 on both eyes? or is my Optometrist wrong?

Thanks

jtmedli

pilot
Hey guys

So I asked my optometrist how good my eyes are and she says I have 20/20, which makes no sense to me because I have a prescription of -1.25 on my left and -.25 on my right. But she went on this long explanation that 20/20 just means you can see an object 20 ft away 20ft away. So then why do I have a prescription? Does this mean I have 20/20 on both eyes? or is my Optometrist wrong?

Thanks

That doesnt sound like a horrible Rx. 20/20 just means that you can read the letters off the chart. The prescription may just be to make your eyes perfect at near/far distances or so on. Ask the optometrist what the numbers are (SPH, CYL) and what they mean. He/She will explain it better than we ever could.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Hey guys

Thanks

What your vision is and your prescription are two different things. 20/20 just means you can read the letters on the 20/20 line. While you don't NEED a prescription, I've noticed that most civilian optometrists will "give" prescriptions out to people who don't need it. If you are 20/20 and have a prescription it's because when testing your vision, they'll keep testing until the prescription you're on no longer allows you to see any better. So even if you read 20/20, they'll keep testing prescriptions and have you read lines lower than 20/20 until the prescriptions stop making your vision any better.

So your vision is "perfect" but if they can make it better than 20/20, they will give you a prescription that gives you the best possible vision.

gnarbot

What your vision is and your prescription are two different things. 20/20 just means you can read the letters on the 20/20 line. While you don't NEED a prescription, I've noticed that most civilian optometrists will "give" prescriptions out to people who don't need it. If you are 20/20 and have a prescription it's because when testing your vision, they'll keep testing until the prescription you're on no longer allows you to see any better. So even if you read 20/20, they'll keep testing prescriptions and have you read lines lower than 20/20 until the prescriptions stop making your vision any better.

So your vision is "perfect" but if they can make it better than 20/20, they will give you a prescription that gives you the best possible vision.

OttoWrote8, On my left eye I have a hard time seeing far away. But my right eye is perfect. So from what you guys are saying I do fine on the vision test for NAMI cause I was very scared for a while that I didnt have perfect vision, which would deter me from becoming a pilot.

That doesnt sound like a horrible Rx. 20/20 just means that you can read the letters off the chart. The prescription may just be to make your eyes perfect at near/far distances or so on. Ask the optometrist what the numbers are (SPH, CYL) and what they mean. He/She will explain it better than we ever could.

Jtmedli, the lady said I only have sphere with is the numbers given -1.25 and -.25.

Also I called 3 other eye doctors and they explained it to me alot better. It turns out my dumb optometrist was referring to me having CORRECTABLE 20/20. In fact my left eye is about 20/50 and my right 20/20. So now that I know my numbers I have to do PRK. (or apply for the lasik program)

PV33

Eyesight

I am currently a Senior in high school, and I will be attending Auburn University next year. I really want to become a Marine Corps officer but I especially want to be a Naval Aviator preferably helos. I want to attend PLC air next summer, but I'm not sure about my eyesight. I currently wear contacts corrected to 20/20 they are -2.75. Is there any waiver I can apply for if I don't meet the 20/40 minimum, or will I just have to find a different MOS.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Merged for sake of convenience. PV33, your question is pretty typical. Better that you get your answer in a thread where it (the question) and other accompanying questions are answered.

SenorDan

pilot
For those who fly. Any thoughts on contact lenses vs. glasses? Any reports of eyes drying up with contact lenses?

Dmavs

NPQ unfortunately does not= "Navy Pilot Qualified"
Hi All,

New to the forum so bear with me please. I'll keep it short and simple.

Here's the deal, I got my eyes set on becoming a pilot and I'll be starting NROTC in a year when I go into my junior year of college, I have a good GPA, 20 years old, no criminal past, etc. I have it all mapped out basically. However my eyesight is horrible, to say the least(myopic). My Rx for glasses is -8.25 in my right eye and -7.25 in the left one (around 20/800 in both). Two weeks ago I scheduled a consultation with a laser eye center to find out if I was a candidate for LASIK or PRK, turns out I am and all is good. But..Long story short: Pre-Op refractive error limit is what's keeping me up at night. My question to you all is: Do I have ANY chance of getting a waiver given my refractive error? Are these limits written in stone or is there any leeway for someone who is right on the limit or slightly past it?
P.S: I had my cycloplegic exam yesterday, turns out.. RIGHT: sphere= -7.00, cylinder= -1.50 LEFT: sphere= -8.00, cylinder= -0.25. However, after transposition I'm looking at -8.50 in the right and -8.25 in the left. I don't know if the Navy looks at your refractive error after transposition or not? If someone has a clue, please chime in.

Anyway I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could shed some light on my situation so I can hopefully start eating again haha. Thanks guys

Patty Ann

question i have 25/20 left and 20/20 in right, i have been tested multiple times and this is the case, if i meet the standard 20/40 am i good to go? (will i need to get my eyes corrected for this small case?)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
question i have 25/20 left and 20/20 in right, i have been tested multiple times and this is the case, if i meet the standard 20/40 am i good to go? (will i need to get my eyes corrected for this small case?)

As long as your eyes are correctable to 20/20 and your eyes meet the Navy SNA requirements. I had better than 20/40, but my astigmatism was 2x worse than max allowable, therefore I did not qualify for SNA, but I did qualify for SNFO.

-ea6bflyr ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am going to pull rank and not use the search function or go back and reread this thread, which I haven't visited in months. What is the latest status on surgery? I am guessing PRK (LASEK) is still approved. I thought that some months ago LASIK was approved as well, but heard through the grape vine that it no longer is. Keep in mind, I am asking with regard to civilian applicants. I have seen plenty of confusion over the years when something is approved for active duty or on a trial basis and the wannabes jump all over it spreading bad gouge.

Raider13

Has anyone ever gone to MEPS but had their exam marked incomplete pending an "eye consult"? This happened to me yesterday and I am wondering what such a consultation might entail. I know I did fairly poorly on the eye exam and that my eyesight is not very good, so this isn't a complete surprise. I'd appreciate any insight (pun intended) you all may have to offer.