• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Eyes have it - All things Vision-related

flytojungho

but FWIW I've never seen anyone fail the flight physical based solely on that test.
this is good to hear... When i initially failed the depth perception test at MEPS, I was like :eek::eek::eek: WTF? I NEVER failed this when I got tested while being enlisted!
Then, I went to a civilian doc and she gave me the :confused::confused: look when I told her that they failed me. After going back to MEPS, OMG, I was failing that test AGAIN!!! I am not sure if it's really my eyes or if it's that damn machine...

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
this is good to hear... When i initially failed the depth perception test at MEPS, I was like :eek::eek::eek: WTF? I NEVER failed this when I got tested while being enlisted!
Then, I went to a civilian doc and she gave me the :confused::confused: look when I told her that they failed me. After going back to MEPS, OMG, I was failing that test AGAIN!!! I am not sure if it's really my eyes or if it's that damn machine...

Happened to me too...apparently its pretty common at MEPS. Also, woot for my 500th post. :D

Insomneo

I had the same experience as Sly did when I was at MEPS. The dude eventually asked me if I was guessing. Throughout the whole test I probably saw each of the letters pop out once. Talked to a few other guys there and they had the same trouble.

There has to be a better test out there... maybe one of those magic eye books? Hah, I can see a scene right out of Mallrats happening at MEPS. "I can't see the damn sailboat!!!"

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I am just asking because the one that they used at MEPS was VERY difficult to tell some if some of the circles were in fact in front of one another. When I went to the civilian doctor, they used 3D glasses with pictures and I passed NO problem.

I failed the test, too.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I had the test done that was like a series of numbers that looked like this

..2.....3.. then you just picked out the one that stood out the best. It was pretty easy.

I did see the other test but they didn't use it. The one with circles and such.

Roosterj

Question about glasses and OCS

Since I'm one of those genetically inferior people who has the unfortunate blessing of having to wear glasses. Would a investment of sports goggles for OCS be recommend or a waste of money?

POG= Person other then a Grunt. Then does POP=Person other then a Pilot?
And is that an insult?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You'll get BCGs and a strap for them at OCS. No worries. You typically won't be able to wear any other glasses than the ones they issue you anyway, so don't worry about bringing anything other than the pair you normally wear until they get your BCGs made.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Admittedly it has been a while since I went through, but i wore my personal glasses most of the time.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Admittedly it has been a while since I went through, but i wore my personal glasses most of the time.

Never got a straight answer from him on it so I'm not sure why but my kid graduated last Aug from OCC 195 and never did get his BCGs.

Somehow he managed to get thru the whole 10 weeks with his college boy wire rims. He had 20/400 vision at the time so he was sweating big time over breaking them.

Exception to every rule I guess? He claims they just never got around to issuing him a pair but who knows.

Roosterj

Rocketman;482906 he had 20/400 vision at the time so he was sweating big time over breaking them. .[/quote said:
Man i was worried about 20/200.

Well buying new glasses is pointless then. I will just invest in whatever those things are called that keep glasses on the head.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Man i was worried about 20/200.

Well buying new glasses is pointless then. I will just invest in whatever those things are called that keep glasses on the head.

They'll give you BCGs and they'll also give you a strap to keep it on your head. Buy one if you like, but they should provide you with everything you need.

And yes, propstop, some people get by wearing their own personal glasses for all of OCS. I don't know why, but everybody got bitched at for not having BCGs except this one kid. Candios bitched at em, DI bitched at him, and he just said they weren't made yet (for some reason, they just never made his) and he wore his own glasses from day 1.

Depends on the class team, but USUALLY you will get BCGs.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I'm hoping that I get the BCG's. I've been wearing contacts for years so the glasses that I got recently were the cheapest frames I could buy since I only wear them in the evenings.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm hoping that I get the BCG's. I've been wearing contacts for years so the glasses that I got recently were the cheapest frames I could buy since I only wear them in the evenings.

Wait until you get 'em to say that. ;)

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I definitely know they're not the most attractive looking things but they might not break as easily as my wire frames.

SVT_Cobra

You don't want them! They suck. Seriously horrible. I've heard they've changed somewhat since the late 90s when I went through Army basic...