• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The End of the Officers Club

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I passed the article around my platoon when I got the Gazette last month. We are trying, but it seems that too many of our peers are too afraid to cut loose for fear of being seriously punished.

Something has to change, too many guys are sitting in their rooms on a Friday or Saturday night doing nothing, or even worse, studying...

Tell your (our) peers to grow a sack. Same losers who are too afraid to wear brown shoes (Navy) or wear their leather jackets to the squadron when it's <40 degrees out. Now they're too afraid to go out drinking in a Naval Aviation environment and let loose?

What next? Too scared to bullshit with an O-4+? Shit, I met the XO of TPS at the O club one night and despite being mildly drunk, got to bullshit with him and ask questions about a future career path.

Jesus these people make me embarassed.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
While I wasn't yet able to patronize the O' Club at Iwakuni, the NCO Club was a great time. We spent many good nights there both after the bars out in town and before.

The best 'new' one I have been to was Iwakuni's, which was part of a bigger building housing all of the clubs on base. They did a good job of seperating the clubs though and the O Club was its own place with all the requisite plaques, wood model airplanes, pool tables and suffleboard table. When all of the squadrons were in town it was pretty crowded and a good time. Again, not as great as the 'good old days' but still a good time and soemthign that the squadron wardrooms took and active part in on the weekends.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here at MATSG the XO is plugging the plans of a local wealthy dude for a replacement of Trader Jon's.
<-- removes nose from ground school pubs

Fat f-ing chance. The only way it'll stay open is to lose money. Is he up for that? Trader's was bought by a Navy LT and his wife after Trader Jon died, and they couldn't keep it open. It closed shortly after I checked into A-pool.

<--bangs head repeatedly against wall and returns to decorating garage with spray adhesive

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It's the owner of Will Call on Palafox that is trying to do it. He's a former Army guy that had a wizz-bang ahead of his time idea and was able to get DOD to buy his facility for $130 million. I think Will Call is profitable, but I've never been. XO is also looking at getting some of the TJ memorabilia out of the museum (he has the clout).

I think the guy is willing to give it a serious shot. Talking about having 100 taps and be dripping in naval aviation. We'll see how it turns out. Kinda sad since MBOC already has the basic history and infrastructure that this guy is trying to conjure.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the edification of myself and the other unwashed, could you please explain what this is? :)

A 'green light' is when you ambush another officer in your squadron, usually a DH, XO or CO, and have a party with no notice. In my squadrons the wardroom got together somewhere near the victim's house and gives them a call, simply saying 'Green light, green light, green light' and hang up. A few seconds later the whole wardroom, or at least JOPA, knock and the door and start the party (spouses were also welcome, eased the wife's angst about the whole thing). If the victim has liquor it is usually gone by the evenings end, finding the victim's credit cards and ordering pizzas also occurs.

It worked well in Oak Harbor since most guys lived there or Anacortes. We did one in 128 for the second to last CO, he and his wife were game and a good time was had by all.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
A 'green light' is when you ambush another officer in your squadron, usually a DH, XO or CO, and have a party with no notice. In my squadrons the wardroom got together somewhere near the victim's house and gives them a call, simply saying 'Green light, green light, green light' and hang up. A few seconds later the whole wardroom, or at least JOPA, knock and the door and start the party (spouses were also welcome, eased the wife's angst about the whole thing). If the victim has liquor it is usually gone by the evenings end, finding the victim's credit cards and ordering pizzas also occurs.

It worked well in Oak Harbor since most guys lived there or Anacortes. We did one in 128 for the second to last CO, he and his wife were game and a good time was had by all.

OK, that one had me laughing out loud. Probably scaring the neighbors. :D

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

Nice!

I've always thought that when the victim's spouse is in on a 'green light' but if not then it's called a 'red light'. Probably some variations out there but I think the general idea is the same.

We pulled off back-to-back greenlights in one of my squadrons: one on the outgoing CO the night before the CoC and the other one on the new CO the next night. When we piled into the new skipper's house just as he was stepping out of the shower. The guys in the front said he got his towel on in time, that was the story anyway...

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Thanks Flash and Jim 123! God I can't wait to be a part of a ready room somewhere! Long live Navy tradition!! :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, that one had me laughing out loud. Probably scaring the neighbors. :D

One particularly disliked DH had his entire liquor cabinet emptied, and it was not a small one, what we didn't drink some guys took home. He also had about 25 pizzas and 3 or 4 'adult' PPV movies put on his credit card. His wife was actually cool about it all, she was pretty well liked and had fun that night and his kids thought it was great fun on a school night.

Huggy Bear

pilot
As I left the Navy two years ago some ridiculously harsh new drinking policy was announced that I believe effected the entire west coast. Is that still in effect? Talk about the big Navy being a killjoy.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
for green lighting the grouchy or disliked DH, an "upper-decker" is a must ...

One particularly disliked DH had his entire liquor cabinet emptied, and it was not a small one, what we didn't drink some guys took home. He also had about 25 pizzas and 3 or 4 'adult' PPV movies put on his credit card. His wife was actually cool about it all, she was pretty well liked and had fun that night and his kids thought it was great fun on a school night.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I like this logic.

Anyone else down to partake in some shenanigans at the NASCC club?

Sure, if you provide the ladies.

On a note about green light/red light... the "rule" has been that you call the Skipper and say "green light" before he can say "red light." If he says the latter then the party is off. It becomes a game of setup... the SDO/ODO/LT sitting at the desk on duty calls the Skipper and starts off on a story requiring his attention (always BS, but always within the realm of possibilities). In the middle of the call the SDO simply says Greeeeen Ligggght! At this point, the other JOs from the squadron knock on the Skipper's door (after all, they have been waiting down the street patiently) and the party begins. As another note... it's proper protocol to get the Skipper's wife in on it from the beginning. She ensures that he's home and that the liquor cabinet is stocked (which is usually not a problem).

I've heard of a COD CO who would always answer his phone with "Red Light, this is Commander _____." Sneaky bastard!