• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The End of the Officers Club

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What next? Too scared to bullshit with an O-4+? Shit, I met the XO of TPS at the O club one night and despite being mildly drunk, got to bullshit with him and ask questions about a future career path.

So true, this is one of the real disappointments in the loss of vibrant command supported O-Clubs. An O-Club was the only reliable place you could see the base skipper, the commodore, his buddy the congressman's staffer, the CAG LSO and your own PXO all in one place casually having fun and open to comments, questions, and on occasion, insults :eek:. You aren't likely to be able to say "that's bull shit Commodore" to said senior officer at 1400 on a Monday in his office, if you could get an appointment, but you could get away with it in the club. I was once in a group of O-3s and O-4s that spent 25 minutes telling an influential two star that the V-22 was not suitable as a S-3 replacement. You don't get that sort of access or unadulterated opinion any other way. I once saw guys beating the hell out of a base C.O. for the condition of the golf course. No amount of comment cards or surveys makes the same impression. One afternoon I had a serious one on one with the CAG about getting out, or staying in the Navy. No retention B.S. Just a great two way about the pros and cons from a senior guy at the pinnacle of his career. While the O-Clubs are important for JOPA in terms of team building, convenience, etc, they can also play a huge role in the mentoring and communication between seniors and juniors. It is as important for the O-5 through O-7s to get into the O-Clubs as the JOPA. It is the most fun part of deck plate leadership ;). And because of this informal atmosphere, lubricated opinion, and open communication, it is imperative they truly be OFFICER'S Clubs. Today, you young guys just don't get the access to seniors we once got at O-Clubs. Seems to me, if the Elephants drank more with the JOPA, things would be better all around. And the O-Club is the place to do it.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Speaking of O Clubs... NASP O Club Flight Suit Fridays still happen. Bring your AWGs!!

Renegade One

None
Speaking of O Clubs... NASP O Club Flight Suit Fridays still happen. Bring your AWGs!!

Aren't greens a "winter uniform option" only? Isn't it summertime there, or is this some locally-sanctioned "year round" rule? Inquiring minds want to know...

I also see on the Tailhook web site that CAPT Reavey is the coordinator for the "Pensacola Tailhook Ready Room". How's that effort going? I do the San Diego Ready Room, so am curious about the others...

V/R, Spike

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never heard of them being a winter only uniform. Capt Reavey wears his to the club most Friday nights, so we just follow his lead. Not sure about the Tailhook ready room, we get all of our tailhook social updates from a LCDR in VT-86

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The Whidbey O-Club has a decent turn out on most Fridays (at least the ones when I've been). But its almost strictly VAQ guys. I've never seen a lot of VP/VQ dudes in the club except when they're having squadron functions. They'll learn...

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
This is copied from another post, but I thought it might get some attention in this thread and help the Kingsville O'club on a non-winging Friday night. We don't just train pilots down here, we train the next generation of Club-goers!

"I guess everyone has to hang up their guns sooner or later and for me that day is July 17, 2009. If anyone wants to come to the ceremony, it will be 1430 at the NAS Kingsville, Texas O'club.
After all the sobbing dies down I'll be sending the Franklin brothers into the bar to help folks drown their sorrows, so if you just want to show up for that, I reckon around 1500-1530. (Never been particularly long-winded, but I can't vouch for the guest speaker;-)
Adios, Cowboy:cowboy_12"

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The Whidbey O-Club has a decent turn out on most Fridays (at least the ones when I've been). But its almost strictly VAQ guys. I've never seen a lot of VP/VQ dudes in the club except when they're having squadron functions. They'll learn...

I'm all for an O-Club revival up there. Like I said before, it'll have to wait a couple months before I get up there, but when I do, stand by...:icon_smil.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Aren't greens a "winter uniform option" only? Isn't it summertime there, or is this some locally-sanctioned "year round" rule? Inquiring minds want to know...

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupp...erWorking/MaleOfficerAviationWorkingGreen.htm makes no mention of a winter only requirement. By contrast the section on choker whites and summer whites does specify that those uniforms are to be worn during the summer time. This would lead me to believe that AWGs can be worn year 'round. Otherwise seasonal wear would have been specified.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Maybe this should go in the stupid questions thread, but here goes -

Maybe this is part of the problem: I commissioned out of OCS, and they never told us anything about O-Club protocol. I'd be willing to bet a whole ton of us fresh butter-bars don't go just because they don't know how to act - DO'S and DON'Ts. Can we bring civilian dates? Is it uniform-only? I'll check it out tonight, but I want to know the rules first.

Flame-on for me maybe not doing my homework, but I can't find this stuff anywhere. Someone fill me in!

MasterBates

This is copied from another post, but I thought it might get some attention in this thread and help the Kingsville O'club on a non-winging Friday night. We don't just train pilots down here, we train the next generation of Club-goers!

"I guess everyone has to hang up their guns sooner or later and for me that day is July 17, 2009. If anyone wants to come to the ceremony, it will be 1430 at the NAS Kingsville, Texas O'club.
After all the sobbing dies down I'll be sending the Franklin brothers into the bar to help folks drown their sorrows, so if you just want to show up for that, I reckon around 1500-1530. (Never been particularly long-winded, but I can't vouch for the guest speaker;-)
Adios, Cowboy:cowboy_12"

Cowboy, you going to ride the Kat at your retirement?

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Maybe this should go in the stupid questions thread, but here goes -

Maybe this is part of the problem: I commissioned out of OCS, and they never told us anything about O-Club protocol. I'd be willing to bet a whole ton of us fresh butter-bars don't go just because they don't know how to act - DO'S and DON'Ts. Can we bring civilian dates? Is it uniform-only? I'll check it out tonight, but I want to know the rules first.

Flame-on for me maybe not doing my homework, but I can't find this stuff anywhere. Someone fill me in!
It's technically not even an "O-Club" anymore. We don't pay dues for it. If enlisted really wanted to, I'm sure they could get themselves in. So in that respect, civilian friends and what not, I am sure they are more than welcomed to come join. Civilian female friends are always a plus, too :D. Sisters work just as well also :icon_smil.

Seems like Fridays are always the new API guys who get to wear their flight suits for the first time (will be me next week, lol). But I haven't been in about two months. I'll be venturing out tonight with a few other SNA's.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
It's technically not even an "O-Club" anymore. We don't pay dues for it. If enlisted really wanted to, I'm sure they could get themselves in. So in that respect, civilian friends and what not, I am sure they are more than welcomed to come join. Civilian female friends are always a plus, too :D. Sisters work just as well also :icon_smil.

Seems like Fridays are always the new API guys who get to wear their flight suits for the first time (will be me next week, lol). But I haven't been in about two months. I'll be venturing out tonight with a few other SNA's.

Thanks. Uniform rules? I just classed up (3609), so I'm not far behind. Thinking of coming tonight if I can bring the lady friend.