• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Draft is on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshotgunship

Hey guys

Is it possible for NFO to become helo pilots, or do you have to apply as a pilot and not NFO?
If I were to go into the Navy to fly helos, would it be less difficult to get in or the same as it would be for jets?????

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hotshot:

I'm not sure I completely understand your questions, but there aren't any NFOs in helos (at least right now). As for becoming a pilot (of anything), there used to be a FO-to-Pilot program. Then that got turned off by Borda after VF-213 planted another jet. Then it got turned back on recently, but I'm not sure if it's still going. I take it you're asking because you don't fit the mins for pilot, but do for NFO, so you're wondering about after you get your foot in the door. Correct me if I'm wrong.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I have a quick question about drafts. Im sure this has been asked before, but i read somewhere that if you finish in the number 1 spot you get your first choice no matter what. Is this true? Or is it like you were saying if there is a huge helo draft everybody will get helos even if they place first? No big deal, just wondering.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Generally speaking, the SNA who graduates at the top of his primary class gets his first pick of pipeline (jets, props, or helos) and the SNA who graduates at the top of his advanced gets his specific aircraft and/or location.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Come on number 1!!!! a Week and a half or so and I get to select!! Woohooo

Dave

turbospider2k

Going back to the airline comment - I'm told (by instructors, counselors, pilots) that come 2007 the airlines will experience a major round of retirements/9-11 rebounds (predicted to be at their pre-9-11 levels). That said, should be interesting to see what the drafts do around the time I graduate.

Of course, if I go coastie, I actually WANT helos. Boo C-130s.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting.....Last I heard, 65% of all Navy pilots are Helo guys....but on a positive note, helo guys are unrestricted pilots
icon_smile_wink.gif

ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

rutherfj

I know 3 Marines specifically who selected in April/May who, while at the top of their selection, ended up being forced into Jets.

SNA-Kingsville

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Not much of a helo draft this week for Navy: 3 Meridian (1 TS, 2 INT), 2 E-2/C-2, 1 E-6
eyebrows_125.gif
spin_125.gif
, and 7 helo slots. VT-28 rocked the house, getting 4 of the 6 fixed wing slots out of 5 Navy selectees from the squadron .
thumbup_125.gif

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah,

VT-28 finnnnallllyyyy broke the streak!!!! God Job PAP and Mike!!
Both bound for meridian!!

Dave

schmuckatelli

ea6bflyer, currently about 40ish% of the Navy's pilots are helo bubbas. Based on what the O-8 I mentioned in a previous post said that will increase to around 65ish% over the next few years.

vballindaytona

Hey Varun

Long time no talk. AWEESSOOMMEE! just what we talked about on here before either of us went to OCS. Im so happy for you. I am in week 4 api right now, corpus bound in two weeks. way to go.

Jonathan

dingo155

VFA-87 Paddles
congrats Mike and Pap, I will see you both in Meridian. I had a feeling that this was going to be a good week to select. I guess those of us up at Moody continue to be the unknown quantity... we shall see... T-2 (Super Tweet) here I come

"Friends don't let friends fly junk (T-34 and T-37)"

jaerose

Question: When do you find out where you go (corpus, p-cola, moody, vance...) for primary? Is it before, or after API? Also, do you get to choose and what are the actual options of places to go? Thanks.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.