• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Draft is on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Earlier this year it was the jet draft. That was Feb-May. If you had the min score or a little lower you were headed to jets. Now.... Not so. Once again the needs of the Navy have kicked in. The draft of choice for the last six weeks and indef. into the near future....HELO DRAFT. In my squadron, we have had only one platform for everyone in the last six weeks. Helo's. We hear its the same at Whiting. Maybe a (1) Jet guy, 1 E2C2, NO P3 and a whole lota Helo's per week. Hopefully VT-28 will break out this week when PAP selects. My sources say jets are in his future. We will see. However, for the mere mortals in Primary, Whiting is calling your name.

Dave

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Come on Dave, you know it's what you want. Besides, you don't need all that per diem, you've got all that O-xE pay.
icon_smile.gif

Let us know what happens.

jaerose

So does the selection go in cycles like this? I go to OCS in August and I'll be finished in November. With stash duty and IFS I probably won't hit API until pobably around March (guessing). Do you think there will be more airframes available by the time I'll get through primary?

JR

schmuckatelli

Heard from an O-8 that was guest speaking at a change of command that the number of helo pilots is increasing by 22% over the next few years so that is probably why there are more helo selections now.

dfflynn

Are there a lot of jet guy sticking around in the fleet, and is that the reason for the lack of jet spots, or is there some kind of freeze on their leaving in place holding guy who may want to leave. If so how long will this draught in jet spots last.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One big problem right now is that there are a bunch of S-3 guys that need a place to go, so they're going to take care of them first. That's clogging up the pipeline. There's a guy here who wanted to transfer to pointy nose stuff, but he's running into the same problem...there just aren't spots.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Schmuckatelli is correct. The Navy is changing their overall plan and increasing the number of helos in the battlegroup (and since each helo requires 2 pilots....) so we will be training a whole lot more helo pilots. The numbers I have heard are anywhere from 20% to 40% more pilots - which is why they are pulling JetRangers out of the desert and planning on putting in a 3rd helo training squadron at Whiting. The new MH-60's are going to be nice with glass cockpits - and if the Navy goes with a DAP (defensive armament package) like the Army, you are talking about some serious ordance - 16 Hellfires, 30mm chain guns, rockets, miniguns, etc... - or way more than a Marine Cobra. Finally, if the "compound helicopter" concept by Piasecki is successful, you are looking at a 220 knot Blackhawk (SeaHawk, Knighthawk) with double the range. Interesting times in the Navy helicopter community.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by dfflynn
Are there a lot of jet guy sticking around in the fleet, and is that the reason for the lack of jet spots, or is there some kind of freeze on their leaving in place holding guy who may want to leave. If so how long will this draught in jet spots last.

Gator mentioned the S-3 transition pilots but the big ticket item, IMO, is the state of the airlines. They have not and are not on a big hiring spree.

46Driver

Hiring Spree? There are about 10,000 airline pilots on furlough who have to be recalled before anybody gets hired at Delta, United, American, etc. However, there are a few airlines hiring (Southwest, AirTran, Jet Blue) but the competitive mins are in the stratosphere.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Whats "furlough" mean?

What's the DL on Helo pilots in the military transfering to a civilian flying job? How's it all work? Pretty Hard?

"There were many airplanes, but it was the skinny bird that scared us the most."
- Iraqi POW on the AH-1W Cobra -

beau

Being furlough is a nice/or not nice term for being laid off. When Supply outways Demand for Pilots in the Airlines, pilots get laid off. Then of course the military guys who might get out at the end of their commitment, stay in for at least another tour.
I think in the next few years we might see an opening in jobs just for the fact that all of the Vietnam era pilots will be forced into retirement (unless the age 60 rule changes). Besides the airlines have no where to go but up (no pun intended) :).

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

46Driver

I don't think you are going to see any jobs at a major (other than the ones I mentioned above) for at least 5 years. Don't believe anything you ever hear about a pilot shortage.... For more info on what the civilian market is like, I suggest www.flightinfo.com It is very difficult transitioning from helos in the military to fixed wing on the outside - if at all possible, get a tour flying fixed wing before you get out if you want to have a realistic shot at the airlines. However, as a helo pilot, you can look forward to a low paying EMS or oil platform flying.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I'm still a wannabe, but here's a link about helo guys making it in the civilian fixed-wing world. Check out www.aptap.org or www.aptap.org/main.html

The site is set up by Army helo guys who made the transition to being airline pilots. The site says that USN/USMC/USCG/USAF rotorheads are welcome...

Just curious, are most of the municipal police/fire/news helos driven by former military?

-Greg

46Driver

APTAP is a very good site. Helo training on the outside is very expensive (figure about $600+ an hour to rent a JetRanger although the Robinson R-22 is substantially less) so a large number of helo jobs are filled by former military. I believe www.justhelicopters.com is a good site for that.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 46Driver
Hiring Spree? There are about 10,000 airline pilots on furlough who have to be recalled before anybody gets hired at Delta, United, American, etc. However, there are a few airlines hiring (Southwest, AirTran, Jet Blue) but the competitive mins are in the stratosphere.

Thus, like I said, no hiring spree.

Status
Not open for further replies.