• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Draft is on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
congrats on the Jet slots guys!!!! Thats awesome. I knew that after giving so many people helos that they eventually had to run dry of those spots.

DairyCreamer

Does anyone know of a comprehensive source of current and/or predicted attrition and slots available for Navy Pilots? At least one that's available to the public? A little "gouge" on this would be awesome :)

~Nate

investmurr

Is there any difference in the selection process for VT-27 vs. VT-28. In other words do more guys get jets from 28 than 27?

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
While I don't have any solid historical info on whether 27 or 28 gets more jet slots, I would bet money (and I am not normally a betting man) that 28 gets far more jet (and overall fixed wing) slots than 27 considering all the bad things I have heard about 27.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
When you go up for selection, they take into account which squadron you came from. Thus if you graduate from one squadron that generally gives less aboves, there is a mathematical equation to average everything out (I am not a statistics major). Suffice it to say, everybody has an equal chance.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry,

Yep, And if you are going to primary in Corpus, I would try my hardest to get in VT-28. 27 is good, we are just more laid back in 28.

Dave

savingthisone

bouncy_125.gif
Nate:Think NOMI has some nice charts online regarding attrit rates and ASTB scores, both SNA and SNFO. Will look around and if find URL will shout it out to you.

Dave Shutter

The Jet story as it's been handed down to me. The USMC will be putting a Hornet SQDN on every Carrier in the next couple of years. Conversely, the Navy will be de-comming 3 Hornet SQDN's to make room. All part of the integration thing. A Marine Capt.(IUT) going through ground school with us had some interesting things to say about the changes going on having just come from the fleet. One of which was a Marine Colonel being made a CAG, a first, and numerous other billets on the Marine side being given to Navy officers. MAG XO and the such. Another fact is that the Navy is building a WHOLE BUNCH of new small boys, which will obviously require more Helos. This is from a SWO buddy in my class, also fresh from the fleet after receiving the fabled "transfer". He claims they're going to be banging out DG's like Yugos in the coming years. A Marine I met who was checking out the other week was quite displeased to say "Meridian" when I asked him where he was going next. He had wanted Helos very badly (Cobras actually, can't blame him) but with an NSS of fifty-something, and jets somewhere on his selection sheet, he got the boot from Whiting. There is a big push for Marine jets right now, for obvious reasons, and you don't have to overhear Colonels talking at the watercooler to figure that out. Navy jet slots come and go, and yes, it can depend largely on what week you select, but you need the grades to even be considered for it. To answer the earlier question, yes, E-6's are the rarest selection of all, for pilots anyway. There's not that many of them and their retention is apparently very high. When they say "a handful a year"...they mean just that.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
That dovetails with what we were told at South Field. Significantly more Navy helo students but no change in the number of Marine helo students.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Dave,

Being amongst those blessed/fortunate few to get picked up for the E-6 community, I was wondering about the retention stat you spoke of. I had heard that the retention in the E-6 community is incredibly low, and that even now those guys are getting out left and right b/c they are among the few pilots out there getting hired by civilian airlines. One E-6 FO told me that retention is so bad that basically if you want to be the skipper of an E-6 squadron you can get the job easily once you pick up O-5. Supposedly, there are approximately 25-30 E-6 slots per year, or abouts 5 per training squadron. Does this differ from what you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.