• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
Quick background: Selected SNA for commissioning in May 2011. For the past couple years I've had seasonal allergies and took OTC meds (Claritin, Zyrtec) to combat the runny nose/itchy eyes. I dutifully noted such on my medical questionnaire during my physical exam and the FS dutifully checked me out for problems. I did look at the waiver guide and know that allergic rhinitis is NCD--the FS just needs to go through the following checklist (I've noted my status with each):

1. Symptoms, if present or expected to recur, must be controllable with any combination of
topical nasal steroid sprays, approved antihistamines, montelukast (Singulair), or nasal
cromolyn.

Never used Singulair but the OTC nasal sprays work like a charm.

2. A Waters' view x-ray of the sinuses must show no evidence of acute or chronic mucosal
disease (mucus retention cysts are the exception).

This was taken during my medical exam--I have yet to hear results. The FS did not find any evidence of mucosal disease when he checked me out visually, however.

3. A nasal examination using a hand-held magnifying otoscope with large speculum must
show no evidence of mucosal disease such as polyp(s) or purulent drainage. If in doubt,
seek ENT consultation. Your nasal examination is best done several minutes after
spraying both nasal cavities with a decongestant nasal spray.

Again, no evidence of any polyps. He did note that I have narrow nasal passages, meaning that a mild allergy could cause me to become easily congested (so that's why...)

4. There has been no use of allergy immunotherapy (AIT) within the past 12 months

I have never used allergy immunotherapy

Other notes: The FS also did an additional blood test to see if I'm allergic to anything specific (heard no results yet). He said he doesn't like using Waters' view x-rays for this type of thing and advised me to be ready to come back to Great Lakes for a CT scan of my sinuses (I've heard nothing back yet).

My question is: Is no news good news at this point or should I be panicking? If I should be panicking, what can I do to help this process along?

Thank you for your time.

rabbitxc07

Doc,
I noticed that posted in another thread is the Aeromedical Reference And Wavier Guide. The guide has information on insect bite allergies and how to obtain a wavier for them, but nothing on food allergies that I can find. Do you know what NAMI's policy is on food allergies, specially anaphylaxis related allergies?

(Sorry about the double posting earlier everyone!! Haven't gotten a feel for the site yet. my bad.)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
paraphrased: if I eat peanuts. That being said, I have not had a reaction in 20 years; the last time I had a one was when I was less than 18 months old. I only have a reaction when I ingest peanuts, but can be around them and am not my allergy is not as serious as those who cannot be in the same room as someone else eating them. Does anyone know what I can do to get a wavier from NAMI, or get BUPERS to grant me the wavier? Thanks!

Stop talking about it. Stop telling doctors about it. Don't eat peanuts.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Don't eat that food. BTW, you should tell your doc about specific food allergies. Otherwise those specific allergies could be caused by an allergic reaction to a certain class of foods; I would hate to find out the hard way.

Doc,
I noticed that posted in another thread is the Aeromedical Reference And Wavier Guide. The guide has information on insect bite allergies and how to obtain a wavier for them, but nothing on food allergies that I can find. Do you know what NAMI's policy is on food allergies, specially anaphylaxis related allergies?

(Sorry about the double posting earlier everyone!! Haven't gotten a feel for the site yet. my bad.)

seth_h

So here's my problem. I have a multinodular goiter on the left side of my thyroid. I have recently been disapproved for service by DODMERB and now have waiver requests in with BuMed. My question is what is the likelyhood of me getting the waiver and why did I get DG'ed because of this condition? I know that I have a slightly hyperactive thyroid but I've never had problems with it and just want to know what my chances are and why this is a disapprovable condition. Thank You

GreenLantern330

A couple weeks ago I had a flight back to my hometown, and being on a plane brought up an issue that I forgot I had. I've flown a lot, and not all the time, but most of the time, during landing, my ears don't pop and the pressure just builds up to a point it becomes extremely painful. I've tried chewing gum, swallowing/drinking, and Sudafed to help with this, but it never seems to help. I know that this happens to a lot of passengers, but it struck me... would this be an issue for SNA or NFO?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A couple weeks ago I had a flight back to my hometown, and being on a plane brought up an issue that I forgot I had. I've flown a lot, and not all the time, but most of the time, during landing, my ears don't pop and the pressure just builds up to a point it becomes extremely painful. I've tried chewing gum, swallowing/drinking, and Sudafed to help with this, but it never seems to help. I know that this happens to a lot of passengers, but it struck me... would this be an issue for SNA or NFO?

It could very well be an issue. But, until you get a consult with an ENT, you can't be sure.

GreenLantern330

This may be a dumb question but that would just be an issue for aviation though, right? It wouldn't be an issue for non-aviation designators, would it?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Aviation and diving would pose similar issues. I don't think other career paths would be a problem.

seth_h

Did some calling around today and found out why I got disapproved. So for anyone who has a multinodular goiter on your thyroid here's whats up:

Simply by the goiter having ever been there or still being there I was disapproved. If you had a goiter at one point and had it treated having a history of it is still disapprovable.

Now I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow to try and get any extra information to send to BuMed to try and get the waiver. Man I hope this goes well...

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Did some calling around today and found out why I got disapproved. So for anyone who has a multinodular goiter on your thyroid here's whats up:

Simply by the goiter having ever been there or still being there I was disapproved. If you had a goiter at one point and had it treated having a history of it is still disapprovable.

Now I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow to try and get any extra information to send to BuMed to try and get the waiver. Man I hope this goes well...

section 5.3 applies to your situation.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Documents/Waiver Guide - Endocrinology.pdf

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Hey Doc,

I have a quick question about Post Nasal Drip. I was told that it is incurable as of now, and it's something that has been bothering me for several years.

Will this ailment alone hold me up during a medical screening? It doesn't interfere with my every-day abilities, but i'm rather ignorant on the subject.

Thanks!