• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

mark11

Asthma Waiver Q

I called my old pediatrician to get something from him saying that I wasn't treated for any asthma symptoms after x age (cant remember specifically when) to get the ball rolling on this so I can be medically cleared by the time I put in my package. They said that they shredded my records last year. Not really sure what to do now. Does this mean I don't have a history now and no waiver is needed or will I have to just be tested for asthma at MEPS? Thanks for all the help by the way I know everyone appreciates it.

guinness

what's the policy on getting std tested? say they find something would they just prescribe antibotics and go from there, or are there other repercussions?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
what's the policy on getting std tested? say they find something would they just prescribe antibotics and go from there, or are there other repercussions?

Really? Wow. If you have an STD, go to your civilian doctor and get it treated.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

Yup, they test for the most common STDs. They will give you a script for drugs and send you on your way.

bingobongo

Hello, I was recently accepted to med school. And I have no depth perception. I read that by navy regulation a FS applicant must have depth perception. Does it mean that I cannot become a FS? Or is it waiverable if I ask for it? Another question I have is about ear problems. I had a bad ear infection when I was younger and since then my ears get filled up more than usual when I fly passenger aircraft. And I can pop my ears when I freedive to 10ft by holding my nose and blowing but it's still a painful process and if I board a plane the same day that i was swimming/diving my ears will likely hurt for about 1-2days thereafter. So I wonder if my ears would also prevent me from fighter jet flying or from scuba diving? The reason I ask is because I am also interested in UMO. And final question: is it possible to train as FS or UMO as a navy reserve medical officer? Are there any reserve air squadrons? Thank you!

GreenLantern330

A few years ago, I had a couple panic attacks and my mom insisted that I go see a doctor. Instead I went to the Psychology department at my university and they had me get some form of therapy from a graduate student. So technically, I wasn't diagnosed by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist. Despite this, there's a possibility that there might be documentation of said treatments, which did not involve medication at all. I haven't had a panic attack in over 2 years anyway. Is there any chance this could pose a problem? Might I need a waiver?

Radster

I have two issues. What do you think Doc?

When I was a freshman in high school I was skipping classes and smoking marijuana on occasion. I was recommended by the school to see a psychiatrist. My parents took me in and the doctor thought I should try Zoloft. I was prescribed for only a month and never took it again. I was not depressed. I was just a kid acting up. I have sense gone to college and graduated with great grades and never had any mental issues. I'm happy and healthy.

From age 6 I was prescribed to Adderall. I went through school and into college while being prescribed. While in college I took it very rarely and in small amounts. My dosage was less than 5 mg and only taken once every few weeks. I've since been Adderall free for 2 years and started taking helicopter flight lessons.

I'd like to complete my private license and apply for the WOFT program. Will these keep me out? This is my dream so I sure hope not.

GreenLantern330

When I was a freshman in high school I was skipping classes and smoking marijuana on occasion. I was recommended by the school to see a psychiatrist. My parents took me in and the doctor thought I should try Zoloft. I was prescribed for only a month and never took it again. I was not depressed. I was just a kid acting up. I have sense gone to college and graduated with great grades and never had any mental issues. I'm happy and healthy.

From age 6 I was prescribed to Adderall. I went through school and into college while being prescribed. While in college I took it very rarely and in small amounts. My dosage was less than 5 mg and only taken once every few weeks. I've since been Adderall free for 2 years and started taking helicopter flight lessons.

I'd like to complete my private license and apply for the WOFT program. Will these keep me out? This is my dream so I sure hope not.

I used to be on medication for ADD, not adderall but it's still the same situation. I went to my recruiter and he told me that since I had been diagnosed and treated for ADD, I had to be off the medication for one year, get re-evaluated by my doctor and get a "bill of clean health." You need this to get a waiver in order to enlist in the military. So, if you were diagnosed, it's good that you've been off the medication for 2 years now. Just make sure you see your doctor and have him/her clear you for military service. You'll need that for your application for OCS.

The zoloft thing, I'll leave that to the doc to answer.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Hmm, a few things here.

1. Find a copy of the MAN MED. (Manual of the Medical department)
WAIVER: No waivers shall be recommended for any candidate or designated Class I duty involving actual control of aircraft. Class II and III personnel must meet standards for depth perception except when remarked as "not required" under types of aviation duty specified under MANMED Articles 15-87 through 15-99. As a FS, you will be Class II personnel. http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/Pub/MANMED CHANGE 126 -PAGES 51-112.pdf

2. Don't fly after diving. It is dumb...any trapped gas still in your system could cause serious illness as it expands. Don't do it.

It was possible during my time that you could be a FS and in the reserves. Dunno about UMO.

Hello, I was recently accepted to med school. And I have no depth perception. I read that by navy regulation a FS applicant must have depth perception. Does it mean that I cannot become a FS? Or is it waiverable if I ask for it? Another question I have is about ear problems. I had a bad ear infection when I was younger and since then my ears get filled up more than usual when I fly passenger aircraft. And I can pop my ears when I freedive to 10ft by holding my nose and blowing but it's still a painful process and if I board a plane the same day that i was swimming/diving my ears will likely hurt for about 1-2days thereafter. So I wonder if my ears would also prevent me from fighter jet flying or from scuba diving? The reason I ask is because I am also interested in UMO. And final question: is it possible to train as FS or UMO as a navy reserve medical officer? Are there any reserve air squadrons? Thank you!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Not being up on the current drug standards, I can't say for sure about the pot smoking. The other stuff looks to be a non-issue as you have been drug free for 2 years. This could be important....were you diagnosed with any specific condition?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Doc,

My question is specifically about a pinkie finger. I would like to preface this with saying I have already passed a commissioning physical just not a flight physical (haven't tried). I worked on a farm growing up and because of an accident my pinkie finger can't straighten. I never went to a hospital. I put band aids on it and taped it to my other finger. I still have strength in it and can make a fist, but when I straighten my fingers the pinkie stays at about 15 degrees. It doesn't affect my day to day at all. Will this be an issue. I thank you in advance for your response.

I doubt it will be an issue. My pinkie finger also won't straighten, stays about 15 degrees bent when "straight"... as a result of me improperly punching a drunk Fc2spyguy in the face one friday night.... no joke. Granted, mine happened when I was in flight school and not when I was applying, but having been through a few flight physicals since... no issue.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't see any issues here. Were you diagnosed? (likely not, since not many docs will write a diagnosis based on an exam not performed by them)

A few years ago, I had a couple panic attacks and my mom insisted that I go see a doctor. Instead I went to the Psychology department at my university and they had me get some form of therapy from a graduate student. So technically, I wasn't diagnosed by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist. Despite this, there's a possibility that there might be documentation of said treatments, which did not involve medication at all. I haven't had a panic attack in over 2 years anyway. Is there any chance this could pose a problem? Might I need a waiver?

GreenLantern330

I don't see any issues here. Were you diagnosed? (likely not, since not many docs will write a diagnosis based on an exam not performed by them)

Not to my knowledge. The psych student just said it was panic attacks that could be treated with exposure techniques. The students are all observed/guided by doctors, but no actual licensed doctor ever diagnosed me.

iff

Hey doc,

Just as a disclaimer, I hate to beat a dead horse here with the asthma thing. I've searched the forum and it's one of the most widely discussed topics on here. It seems like freaking everyone has had asthma at some point.

But, I'm not gonna ask you about "what my chances are" etc, cause I know this all works on a case-to-case basis. I just want to know a little more about the methacholine test.

I was prescribed with albuterol at eleven when my dad noticed I was wheezing after exercise. My doctor told me that I had exercise induced asthma and that I would probably grow out of it as i went through puberty. I've never had an "asthma attack" and all my asthma problems were exercise related. They made exercise uncomfortable in my early teen years, but never impossible or potentially harmful. However, I continued getting albuterol refills since this year (I'm a 17 year old senior in high school). Up until last year, I really did think I needed the inhaler (primarily during the winter--the warmer months never gave me issues) , until I exercised once without it and experienced no problems. I can run an easy four miles in 10 degree weather, snow and ice and not experience wheezing or thoracic or bronchial discomfort of any kind. I do have a slight allergy to dog hair, which does induce wheezing.

I realize that since I've gotten refills on the inhaler past age 13 that I'm going to need to get a waiver if I want to be successful in the Navy (especially aviation). This depends on my not using an inhaler for five years (which is fine, since five years will have passed since I join OCS), and my getting a methacholine test.

My question: What's the MC test like? If I have no problems with breathing during exercise and the only thing that really causes bronchial tightness is dog fur, can I expect to pass? I know I can exercise, breathe normally, etc, but will a MC test be the nail in my coffin?

Sorry if this is a redundant question...I'd just like some personal clarification.