• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THE DEBATE, round 1

THE DEBATE: Round 1 ... WHO "WON" .. ???

• SENATOR McCAIN

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • SENATOR OBAMA

Votes: 26 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux

For law school, yes. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law School. Whatever you may think of the the man, that is quite an accomplishment for one of the premier law schools in the country. As for Columbia, maybe he was just emulating the current President. ;)

For what it's worth be he right or wrong at least we know without doubt where the current Presidents loyalties lie. :) http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

firefriendly

pilot
Why is it always the liberals who bring up whose smarter than who? Does anyone really care where someone went to school and how smart that may or may not make them? You can be incredibly smart and still lack any common sense. I knew a Yale guy that was at the top of his class, and he was the most retarded human being I have ever met; totally lacked common sense and a grasp on reality. Maybe we should pay attention more to the messages being preached as well as changes being proposed before we determine who we want for our messiah based on who graduated with a higher gpa from some pretentious school.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Why is it always the liberals who bring up whose smarter than who? Does anyone really care where someone went to school and how smart that may or may not make them? You can be incredibly smart and still lack any common sense. I knew a Yale guy that was at the top of his class, and he was the most retarded human being I have ever met; totally lacked common sense and a grasp on reality. Maybe we should pay attention more to the messages being preached as well as changes being proposed before we determine who we want for our messiah based on who graduated with a higher gpa from some pretentious school.

I thought it was the conservatives that were crying that Obama was a recipient of affirmative action and hence not really all that smart. I mean, why make fun of a 40-year old's college record if you don't care about it?

Biden aside, who do you see more, conservatives demeaning "elite/elitist universities" or liberals flaunting their educational credentials?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Hey, I didn't start it. Just trying to point out the truthiness in the debate. ;)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Concur. Comrade Obama needs to be called out.

For example, he claims that average (or median, depending on who you ask) income has gone down over the Bush Administration.

Kind of a weak argument, no?

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/histinc/f07AR.html

Not really a weak argument. Did you read the 2000 and 2007 entries on that chart you posted? It has gone down a little in current-year dollars since 2000.

And on the subject of "who's elite and who cares," did anyone see Bill Bennett's take on use of one's brain?

fusu

It is too bad that in American politics the word "elite" is treated as a liability. Sen. Obama has an elite education and an elite mind, as I would hope the most power leader in the free world should. I think the fact that Sen. McCain graduated second from the bottom of his class at the Naval Academy and yet still got to fly jets (possibly because of his family history:icon_wink) reflects a more "elitist" upbringing than anything pundits accuse Obama of.

On another note, is anyone else concerned that despite the fact that McCain has built his platform around foreign policy experience he still badly mauled "Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and he stumbled over the name of Pakistan’s newly inaugurated president, calling him “Qadari.” His name is actually Asif Ali Zardari.).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/us/politics/27debate.html (see 7th paragraph).

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
On another note, is anyone else concerned that despite the fact that McCain has built his platform around foreign policy experience he still badly mauled "Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and he stumbled over the name of Pakistan’s newly inaugurated president, calling him “Qadari.” His name is actually Asif Ali Zardari.).

No. Lots of people flip / stumble over words occasionally (usually over things I know a lot about). Doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about.

That's probably the last thing to focus on, IMO.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I think the fact that Sen. McCain graduated second from the bottom of his class at the Naval Academy and yet still got to fly jets (possibly because of his family history:icon_wink) reflects a more "elitist" upbringing than anything pundits accuse Obama of.

No. McCain flew jets because of how he did at flight school and the requirements of the time. Different selection process, but similar hoops as today, probably (anyone who selected back in the day can correct me if i'm wrong) in that they don't give a damn how you did in college once you're in flight training. He also managed to put a few in the drink and still get jets.

And who gives a rats ass if he stumbles over names. Some saturday mornings I can't pronounce my own name, much less mamamamemedidnnenjads. I know the guy's a dangerous prick who has declared the end of the American Empire and called for the destruction of Israel, and apparently, John McCain thinks similarly of him.

When you get down to it, the elitist cut is a mindset people criticize, and is not necessarily dependent on pedigree or background. Creating a pre-presidential seal, calling a senior Senator by his first name and not his title, making speeches across Europe in the image of JFK...all of these actions suggest an elitist mindset, one that does not sit well with a sizable portion of the country.

Acting like America's messiah...come on now, tell me what you're really going to do with the country so I have something of substance to turn over in my brain and criticize or agree with instead of the "Change Hope Change Windfall profits tax" drivel.

Americans want a smart president, but also a man of the people. Lincoln immediately comes to mind when I think of the ideal President. Self starter, self educated, not terribly polished and ugly as sin, but the guy was one hell of a President. Coming off as a snob doesn't play well with the majority of Americans, because the majority of us are not upper crust, did not go to hahvahd, yale, or princeton, and do not make several million a year.
None of our candidates fall outside of more than a few of these categories, but that doesn't mean we don't like to try to think of them as regular people. McCain does not have the golden boy halo effect, and started off in the military out of a federal service academy. He's come from a place some of us can identify with.

Ruining that notion with icons of elitism can only hurt a candidate.

Zissou

Banned
I've always aspired to be elite. What's wrong with that?

It's not about being better than everyone, it's about being a better you.

rugby mike

That's funny, wasn't Lincoln considered an elitist by the South? The reasoning for seperating from the union was that Lincoln's "elititst" attitude would not allow for slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.