• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the clock is ticking fast...age

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveyearsdead

LCDR,
Wow, what a change of pace. It's nice to hear some good news for once. However, the problem lies in the fact that I technically live in Tampa, but go to school in Tallahassee. (I called Miami to try and straighten out the facts.) The recruiter in Tallahassee is a good guy, but he tells me Aviation is closed indefinitely; can I tell him to process my application anyway? My thinking is that even if he did, he would not give me a good recommendation if I were to more or less tell him what to do. Does this make any sense? In Tampa, (where I will be full-time following graduation in May,) the recruiter tells me that I am too old. My motivation is high, but my direction is weak. Nonetheless, I will go see the recruiter here in Tallahassee tomorrow with my new information. Also, I was told that I can process anywhere I choose. Obviously, I would like to take care of business close to home, but I do not want to tell someone who is putting my package together that they are wrong. Almost forgot, on the age limit I know that one must be commissioned by 31. If I were to go to OCS in the first week of October, I would graduate approximately one week after my 31st birthday. Would that be a major issue? Once again, thank you for the help.

Bushmaster

Originally posted by fiveyearsdead
If I were to go to OCS in the first week of October, I would graduate approximately one week after my 31st birthday. Would that be a major issue? Once again, thank you for the help.

Can not they issue a waiver for that one little week?

I wish you the best Fiveyears...

Rayman

In the last section of the application, following your personal statement, there is a section for you to address any waiver requests. In that section, I just wrote that I requested an age waiver based on my prior service time. Pat

Hey Pat,
Have you ever heard of somebody availing of the service time waiver that was used as an example in that last section? I'd love to hear one. Tnx in advance, Pat.

rayman

geerst

Fiveyearsdead,

I am starting to get confused on all the recruiters you are working! Recruiters should only work folks within their defined geograghical area. For example, I will not solicit/work someone in Portland, as that is a different district. However, if an applicant from Portland does not want to be processed down there, I will work their kit. Then it is OK. Having said all that, go with the recruiter you want.

As of yesterday, FY-03 pilot was one body over for goal; NFO still needs 20 bodies. These numbers change all the time. Usually 1-2 pilot wannabes drop out of OCS each class, for some reason or another. So, our HQ (CNRC) needs to receive a continuous stream of applications from you all. What will probably happen, is that you will get selected for one of your choices, but you will wait for the next available OCS class. Who knows, you may get selected for pilot and be offered a June OCS class because some dude from Maine broke his foot. Who knows, but it happens all the time.

Take the ASTB, get your letters of recommendation and transcripts, fill out the application and submit your package. It really takes little effort to get the package to CNRC. If a situation does not open for you to get a pilot slot that allows you to get into OCS and graduate before 01 Oct 2003, you will not be selected for pilot and a waiver for the one week will not be given. Period. Put pilot down as your first choice, then NFO, then a third community if you want. You have a shot at getting NFO. Don't close the door on a great career by limiting yourself to only pilot. Good luck to you.

OPO

fiveyearsdead

LCDR Geers,
I once again thank you for your input. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to have someone give me a straight answer. I talked to my dad about NFO, and he said that if you can only do NFO, by all means seize the opportunity. After all, I would still be a Navy officer. But nonetheless, I will pursue Pilot with everything I have. Hopefully, I can take the test next week and get the ball rolling. My recruiter here in Tallahassee was unavailable today, so I'll try to get in touch with him later.
I would also like to add that I have only been a member on this site for only one week. I must admit that I am impressed with the positive attitudes and committment to success. Yeah, I know, it's sounds cheesy, especially from a cynic like me, but I couldn't resist.

ghost_ttu

Ok old man get off the forum and get to studying for your ASTB!!!! *grins*

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

fiveyearsdead

LCDR,
I took the ASTB today and passed. According to my recruiter, I did pretty well. Hopefully, I can get things rolling now. Once again, thanks for the information.

mikedjp

I might be in a very similar situation as fiveyearsdead. I am 26.5 years old. I want a SNA slot. I hope to turn in my completed application by the end of next week. The only thing I am waiting on are transcripts. I am not prior service. Because of my ASTB scores and my GPA, I think the practical way to get picked-up is to apply for a SNFO slot. My recruiter thinks so too. I really want to be a pilot. My father was a Navy pilot and I would like to follow in his footsteps. I fear that I'm realizing this too late as it is going to be almost impossible to receive my commission before my 27th birthday. How possible is it to switch ratings after you are trained as an NFO?

fiveyearsdead

LCDR Geers,
Once again, I have more questions for you. I talked to my recruiter today concerning the "officer interview" I have read about. He said it is not required for what I am applying for. However, he did say I could do one if I wanted. Obviously, I would like to do this to help my package. My question is, who should I try and find? I would like to find a pilot with some rank to talk to, but I am concerned that will not be too easy. Also, I asked him whether or not I should contact the community managers directly, or if I should go through the chain of command. He said he did not think it mattered. Being prior service, I do not want to offend anyone by skipping through the chain of command, but at the same time, I want to contact people, and at the very least, put my name in their head. Additionally, who should I seek out for letters of recommendation? I was thinking along the lines of professors and employers. As always, your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

geerst

Fiveyearsdead,

Selection boards place great emphasis on a well-rounded applicant. A recent Intel wannbe with a 4.0 in mathematics was non-select because he had no extra-curricular activity. Anyway, you want to present the multiple facets of who you are to the selection board; you can do that via letters of recommendation. I recommend one from a professor, to attest to your academic performance; one from an employer, to write about your work ethic, your attention to detail, your contributions or analytical abilities, etc; one that describes extra-curricular activity, community work, church, Boy Scouts, etc; and one, if possible, from a military officer. The officer letter, whether in the format of an officer interview or a personal letter, is important, as it tells the Board you have what it takes to succeed as an officer, coming from someone who wore the uniform, who knows the requisite attributes for success in the service, etc.

Collect all these to have a well-rounded presentation of yourself.

LCDR Geers

fiveyearsdead

LCDR Geers,
What is involved in sending a package to the almighty review board? I have been reading here for a bit, and cannot really make heads or tails of what is involved. Do I go to MEPS and take the PRT before my package is sent in, or is this done after I am accepted. I have read that the Navy has recently changed the process. Also, I was reviewing my transcripts, and I believe my GPA is actually around 3.4. Will that look much better than a 3.2? Thanks again.

geerst

Fiveyearsdead,

Sorry to take so long to respond. Took a few days off.

The package consists of a General Application for Commission, a mini security questionaire, official transcripts, letters of recommendation, and ASTB scores. The selection board will review and either "professionally select" you (thumbs up) or non-select (thumbs down). If thumbs up, you continue to process with a physical at MEPS, a PT with your recruiter, an expanded security questionaire, fingerprint cards, etc.

If you are in the Reserves, a Conditional Release is required. If going for BDCP, a degree completion plan is required.

3.4 is a good GPA. Remember, there is no magical GPA cut-off number. The whole person is reviewed at the board. When you hear from a recruiter that a 3.2 is needed, that is based upon what he has seen as recent selects. I might say 3.4, because of recent selects from my district. The boards do not report out as to what constitutes a successful applicant. Unfortunate, I know.

LCDR Geers

righteousbabe

Hey FYD,

Just discovered this thread and would like to know how your application process is going. I am in the same boat, so post if you're still on!

fiveyearsdead

righteousbabe,
I finally graduated, and sent in the first package. Now, I apparently just sit and wait for an answer. However, although I have been told that you have to wait for an answer before going to MEPS, my recruiter is already in the process of scheduling me a date at MEPS. I feel confident that I will be selected, but you never know how something such as this will turn out. My recruiter informed me that numerous NFO slots had opened up, and advised me that it would be in my best interest to add it as a second choice. My situation is a little odd as I have permanently returned to Tampa, and my recruiter is in Tallahassee. I could have processed down here, but I elected to stay with whom I had been dealing with previously. So to answer your question, I am eagerly awaiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.