• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the clock is ticking fast...age

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveyearsdead

Hopefully, I can have a pressing question answered here. Here is my situation. I am 30, graduate in May, and desire to become an aviator. I do have four years of prior service with the Navy, (I got out in 1995.) My GPA is around 3.0, but my last 60 hours have a GPA of 3.76 as I dramatically improved my schoolwork from my younger days. I have worked very hard to attain my degree in Political Science. I live in Tampa, have a wife and two kids, and work approximately 30 hours per week. Every Sunday night I drive to Tallahassee, which is 270 miles away, to go to school Monday thru Thursday. Alright, I'm sure you have heard enough of that. My recruiter in Tallahassee tells me that aviation is closed indefinitely, and that I have no chance of becoming a Navy pilot. Oddly enough, he is willing to let me take the ASTB. I should have taken it some time ago and processed my application, but my extracurricular responsibilites precluded me from doing so. Here is where it gets interesting. The recruiter in Tampa says that aviation is only closed for this fiscal year. However, the Tallahassee recruiter along with a recruiter in Miami told me the maximum age for pilot with prior service is 31 (at time of commissioning.) The Tampa recruiter claims 29 is the maximum age, but he tells me I can still apply for NFO. Furthermore, the Miami recruiter had the audacity to tell me that "why would they select you when there are so many younger qualified applicants." I am a very determined individual who is tired of being given the proverbial run-around by these three recruiters. So now I ask, what should I do, and what chance do I have at being selected for pilot? Also, if I cannot get pilot, is NFO a viable option for me. I must admit that going NFO would bother me to some extent as my vision is incredible (around 20/15.) Thank you for taking the time to read this incredibly confusing post.

JKD

here is a web site that lists some of the requirements for different officer designators. It's for the Seamen to Admiral-21 program.
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/options.html

It looks like the max age for Pilot is 31, and NFO is 32. (you may want to do some research and find the actual document that sets this - to cram down the recruiter's throat).

As far as the question "why would the Navy pick you over a younger candidate?" I would think about it, and decide why they should. An officers board may also want to know why you should be selected.

I've just started reading these boards in the last couple of days, but it seems there are a lot of posts saying there is an abundance of pilot applicants right now. The competition looks heavy, but if it's what you want to do, I would do everything I could to try (all they can say is no).

I've missed my opportunity for pilot. I'm 30 and will not graduate until September 2004. 2-1/2 months after that I'll be 32. It's not a great feeling the day you become too old for a program. If it's what you want to do, go for it, but be ready to "sell" yourself.

(just my opinion)

ghost_ttu

dsweeney, I am far from an expert, but I'm told that the Marines are a bit more apt to give an age waiver to someone that is a good candidate.

fiveyears... Make sure you search on the board and find a copy of the Marine study guide for the ASTB. After you take the ASTB you will be VERY thankful that you got a copy of that study guide.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

Bushmaster

I have a similar problem, I am 25.5 right now but I will be close to the cut off age when I become a US citizen and be eligible to apply... So I am also considering a NFO slot where the cut-off age is 32. My recruiter in Rapid City SD tells me that it is possible to cross-train if you are a NFO to become a pilot.

Good Luck and press on...

I take a chance on the edge of life
Just like all the rest
I look inside and dig it out
Cause there's no points for second best

patbrown08

Hey, I can tell you from experience that the age limit is 31 and they will take you even if there are plenty of young studs that want a slot. I was commissioned 8 days prior to my 31st birthday and am currently at NAS-CC working on advanced. Don't let them feed you any crap just to get you into another designator where they may need people. Put in your application. The worst thing that can happen is they say no. Also look into the other services. The USCG is also a little more lenient on ages. Of course they don't fly anything fast and furious, but they have plenty of cool planes and helos and flying is flying. If that is what your heart is set on. Good luck.

Rayman

Hey patbrown,
How did you apply for the age waiver?
When you applied for OCS with a SNA designation, did you avail of the age waiver?
rayman

patbrown08

Rayman,
In the last section of the application, following your personal statement, there is a section for you to address any waiver requests. In that section, I just wrote that I requested an age waiver based on my prior service time. Also, the waiver was addressed in my endorsement letter. And I had contacted the community manager via email prior to submitting my application. It is not as complicated as you might think, just be very proactive.
Pat

fiveyearsdead

Just wanted to make a correction. My overall GPA is around 3.2, not 3.0. Pathbrown, any other suggestions concerning the proactive route. When I spoke with my recruiter last Tuesday, I informed him that I am more than prepared to do whatever it takes. I'll go see these people in person if that is what's necessary. All he could do was shake his head and say, "I don't know." Clearly, this answer is unacceptable to me in this situation. I've seen a few posts concerning letters of recommendation from professors and employers. Does that help? Anybody.....

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contact the aviation community manager. He is the one who makes the decisions. You can get his phone number and/or email from bupers.navy.mil. Then go to officer community managers and then find aviation. It was CDR Jack Scorby and CDR Tank Johnson. Dont know if they are still there or not. Look up the numbers and give them a call. They will give you the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Its always better to get the info from the source.

Dave

fiveyearsdead

LCDR,
Hopefully, you've had an opportunity to read about my current situation. Fortunately, some of the other members here have been pointing me in the right direction. As far as contacting various persons on my own, how do I go about doing this? While I was enlisted, I made several inquiries to my Command Career Counselor concerning officer programs. They were of no assistance to me at that time. Wow, how history repeats itself as I now find myself in the uncomfortable situation of having no recruiter willing to seriously help me. As I have said before, I will go anywhere, and talk to anybody in order to help my case. Also, if one has applied for officer programs in the past and been denied, does that help? I was turned down for the academy and ROTC in 1992. Your comments are very appreciated.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
censored_125.gif

NuSnake

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave, at least youll get a pay raise out of this!!!...haha, oh wait, the Navy doesnt count rank on Air Warriors does it......man, that sucks....

patbrown08

I was told by a CDR from Bupers that past applications can only help you. They show motivation and perserverance. I had applied to the original Seaman-to-admiral program and LDO twice before getting picked up for OCS. Also, don't be afraid to toot your own horn on your application. If your goal is to be the skipper of a battle group someday, then say that and why. And tell them how great you think you are. No one else is going to do it for you.
Pat

geerst

Fiveyearsdead,

Sorry for the delay. The age cut-off for pilot is 27, with up to 48 months given for 48 months' prior service. You must be commissioned prior to turning 31. For NFO, the age is 30, with 24 months given for prior service. Depending on your birthdate, and when you get selected and sent to OCS, will determine whether pilot is viable for you.

Study and take the ASTB soon. You need to do really well on the ASTB to effectively raise your GPA. You have a good chance at selection if your scores are high; I believe the selection boards favor prior enlisted folks. Age is not that big of a deal. Motivation and smarts are.

Contact your local officer recruiter to get your package started. If you get a lukewarm response, ask to speak with the Officer Programs Officer (OPO). If unavailable, speak to the Operations Officer there in Miami. I know him, great guy--drop my name. Good luck to you.

LCDR Geers

Status
Not open for further replies.