• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think some of y'all might be getting the idea that the pass standard is being changed, which isn't the case. NASC and CNATRA have always taken a look at marginal performers coming out of API...this is adjusting the definition of 'marginal'.

API isn't difficult, but it does require some work in order to max out the tests. If you're not willing to put in the book time to score an A+ on a multiple-choice exam where you get a whole week of academic prep, plus a review, why should they have confidence that somehow you'll do better flight-side with much more material to learn in less time with less guidance?

Getting by with 'good enough' grades is fine for most things. Not your time in the Training Command.

srqwho

pilot
I think some of y'all might be getting the idea that the pass standard is being changed, which isn't the case. NASC and CNATRA have always taken a look at marginal performers coming out of API...this is adjusting the definition of 'marginal'.

API isn't difficult, but it does require some work in order to max out the tests. If you're not willing to put in the book time to score an A+ on a multiple-choice exam where you get a whole week of academic prep, plus a review, why should they have confidence that somehow you'll do better flight-side with much more material to learn in less time with less guidance?

Getting by with 'good enough' grades is fine for most things. Not your time in the Training Command.

This is very accurate. API, in hindsight, wasn't bad at all. Yeah I went through when an 80 got you into Primary, but the amount of stuff that you have to learn and be able to regurgitate EVERY BRIEF/FLIGHT can be overwhelming when compared to the amount of prep you have for the API tests... not to mention that you fly damn near daily right now and sometimes twice a day. From my experience, the guys who struggled with the basics in IFS and API are having a harder time here in Corpus. Primary is not that bad, but it is definitely more intense than API. But... you are flying.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
It is only calculated with other Pilots grades so those NFO Marine, CG, AF ect... who only need an 80 dosn't bring the average down.

I heard talk like this all the time when I was at API, and it was so irritating. The Marines in our class had the highest average on almost every test...but we still had to listen to people getting shitty grades (at a time when they KNEW ahead of time that getting shitty grades would get them kicked out) bitch about how much harder they had it than us.

Your statement is bass ackward, from what I saw, you are lucky you don't have Marines/Coasties/Air Force/NFO's in the mix - it would have raised the required grade point average.

I had to listen to a fat Ensign say that if she didn't make it through API and got kicked, she would just join the Marines since we have it much easier...

(Yes, I understand that it all varies from class to class)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Everyone is putting out to their max, but the pressure is greater on the Navy dudes right now. I'm not saying non-Navy pilots can't hack it, just that they don't have to to the extent Navy folks do. Any why should they? Good on them for not having to eat BUPERS problem.

Sadly, a few of my good buddies got chopped at the knees by the NSS. Is it fair? No one promised anyone the Navy was fair.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I heard talk like this all the time when I was at API, and it was so irritating. The Marines in our class had the highest average on almost every test...but we still had to listen to people getting shitty grades (at a time when they KNEW ahead of time that getting shitty grades would get them kicked out) bitch about how much harder they had it than us.

Your statement is bass ackward, from what I saw, you are lucky you don't have Marines/Coasties/Air Force/NFO's in the mix - it would have raised the required grade point average.

I had to listen to a fat Ensign say that if she didn't make it through API and got kicked, she would just join the Marines since we have it much easier...

(Yes, I understand that it all varies from class to class)

Is it lonely on your pedestal?

I'm glad the marines in you're class did so well because they were rolling into and out of my class. If all you need is an 80 while all your navy buds need 90-95's you have it way easier. However, everyone should be striving for straight 100s if for nothing else because your API NSS makes up part of your primary NSS.

I know slackers can be extremely frustrating, but please save the marines, FOs, and coasties are so smart and squared away speech. Every group has it's shit bags and dumb asses devil dogs included. Just be glad the bar you had to deal with was not constantly moving.

With all that hoopla being said, it is pretty easy to get well above a 93 if you put a marginal amount of time in.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
It's unfortunate that right now so many good students are getting booted, and so many average students barely make it through but still get to continue to primary. I've known so many people that deserve to be pilots not make it through since the NSS was raised. It's not a fair system, but it's true that ultimately we have only ourselves to blame for not making the grade.

I personally missed the NSS cutoff by one question. 42.9 NSS.

Yes the system is unfair, but I jacked up my Nav test. Despite having roughly a 95% average going into Nav and cruising through API, I got complacent and didn't check myself well enough.

All I'd offer for advice is for all you about to start API, don't let up even if you're doing well. You can know your stuff perfectly and still make dumb mistakes. Complacency is a killer. Trust me.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
With the Marine average for exams in the low-mid 90s (ours was right around a 92+-1 on every exam), I truly wonder if you would have the 35 NSS required to complete if you got an 80 on every exam. That being said I do know of a couple Marines who were attrited because of test failures, but none because of their NSS...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Ducky: I'm not saying Marines/Coasties/Etc... are so smart.

I am saying it is irritating to be talked about as if we have it easy/don't put out/would lower the required avg. for Navy studs if we were included/etc...

In my case, it just happened to be doubly irritating because everyone was outperforming all the same dudes who kept telling us how easy we had it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
In my case, it just happened to be doubly irritating because everyone was outperforming all the same dudes who kept telling us how easy we had it.

I get what you're saying, but I saw the opposite. There were NFOs and USMC studs in my class who ran their mouth about only needed 80s, while my good buddy was getting booted with a 90 avg. I put a stop to that shit straight away.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I get what you're saying, but I saw the opposite. There were NFOs and USMC studs in my class who ran their mouth about only needed 80s, while my good buddy was getting booted with a 90 avg. I put a stop to that shit straight away.

Everyone is going to bitch that someone else has it easier. There are exceptions to everything. The bottom line is that yes SOME Marines/CG/AF wouldn't make if held to the need that the Navy has. But many would. Hell, we only lost 1 Navy SNA in my class out of 6. We may have lost 2 out of 9 Marines if everyone needed a 93 or better.

And the argument that if I were a Marine I would have made it is bullshit. You aren't a Marine. We go through a little bit more to get to this point. I'm sure there are Navy/CG/AF people who wouldn't make it if they were held to the Marine standard at OCS and TBS.

It's the same as saying "If I were here a a couple years ago..." You get the cards you are dealt. Play ball or go home.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Had a Marine a week or two behind our class come in to the break room and say "API is fucking easy man, I just smoked Aero I" When asked if he got a 100% he said "No, 94 man!"

We secured that shit in a hurry.

There are douchebags in every clime and place (and branch of service).