• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I stoped talking about grades back in College.... Man that was a long time ago, but API was not hard in my opinion. You know what hard is, an open book/notes test that you barely get a 50 on... Now that is hard!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I stoped talking about grades back in College.... Man that was a long time ago, but API was not hard in my opinion. You know what hard is, an open book/notes test that you barely get a 50 on... Now that is hard!

You must have taken quantum mechanics with me. 55 was an A at the end even with open book/open notes. I got a B which means I have no F'ing clue what Im doing.

phrogpilot73

Had a Marine a week or two behind our class come in to the break room and say "API is fucking easy man, I just smoked Aero I" When asked if he got a 100% he said "No, 94 man!"

We secured that shit in a hurry.

There are douchebags in every clime and place (and branch of service).
The only time I bragged about my performance on a test in API was when I got a 98 on Aero I. And the obnoxious loudmouth irritating douche that bragged about his Aero degree from A&M got a 96...

VINNYNY

I'm seeing lots of rumors and speculation being posted here and I'd like to set the record straight. The moderator can vouch for me.

1) The Ensign who broke into the safe and stole the exam about six months ago went to Captain's Mast. He was punished for his actions and sent to the force shaping board. He was removed from active duty but was able to secure a position in the reserves. Several other students have been removed from training for academic integrity issues.

2) The 43 NSS standard has ended. Effective with class 10-46, the new minimum "Pilot NSS" for Navy pilot candidates is 40. We don't know how long the 40 NSS will remain in effect but it would be foolish to try and wait it out.

3) With the introduction of the 40 NSS standard, SNA to SNFO transitions for those who don't meet the NSS standard will no longer be offered. We do not anticipate any additional "special redesignation" opportunities.

4) There is a strong possibility that Marines will fall under an increased NSS standard (or some other measures to increase attrition) soon. Navy SNFOs may not be safe for much longer either.

Good luck!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Good Info...

Out of curiosity, have those involved in the decision to enforce the new NSS worked with PERS-43 to take into account the longer term effects of artificially increasing attrition rates of affected year groups in respect to manning requirements in the fleet as well as the ability to fill required billets (Joint, DH etc) once these year groups reach control grade? Either way, why was the current NSS number chosen instead of some other NSS?

VINNYNY

Nss 43

Out of curiosity, have those involved in the decision to enforce the new NSS worked with PERS-43 to take into account the longer term effects of artificially increasing attrition rates of affected year groups in respect to manning requirements in the fleet as well as the ability to fill required billets (Joint, DH etc) once these year groups reach control grade? Either way, why was the current NSS number chosen instead of some other NSS?

We have been in constant contact with PERS-43 and the prospective long-term effects were high on the list of concerns we shared with them. Year-group health was a major issue. It's important to note that we had lots of stakeholders involved and all of these competing interests were lobbying for their respective positions. NASC offered our opinion on which COA was in the best interest of the Navy and the CNO made a decision. We implemented his direction but did all we could to minimize the impact on students. Working we BuPers, we helped re-designate more than half of those who might have been eliminated from training. It certainly wasn't perfect, but most would agree that it was nowhere near as bad as the bloodbath in 2004-2005...

VINNYNY

The 43 NSS was chosen because we believed it would allow us to meet the target we were given without jockeying the standard around. A constant 43 NSS gave us a projected timeline that allowed us to spread the damage over two year-groups and three accession sources.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Amazing how timing works too. I was one of those studs that didn't quite make the NSS initially when it was 43. I was sitting in limbo for a month, sat for an SNFO board, got it, then a week later miraculously (thanks to many many great people at NASC/API) got placed back into the pilot pipeline.

The whole way through we as studs were aware that NASC was trying very hard to do everything they could to keep us in the Navy, and in aviation in general. Longest month of my life, but I knew my command had my back, and I was very thankful for the opportunity to continue with training.

Timing is everything, and a wee bit of luck!

bkidd1

Just got selected at the most recent board and Im trying to get some sort of idea of where im going.

Can anyone tell me how they choose were you do Primary at. Is it just where they have a seat to fill or can you request a certain location?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just got selected at the most recent board and Im trying to get some sort of idea of where im going.

Can anyone tell me how they choose were you do Primary at. Is it just where they have a seat to fill or can you request a certain location?

This has been covered ad naseum. Search the site...

And... fill out your profile...

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
It depends on the needs of the Training Wings at Corpus and Whiting. You can put in for one or the other (or Vance if you feel masochistic), but recently TW-4 in Corpus has been asking for more students. Unless you've got follow-on orders to Whiting because you're married, you will probably end up in Corpus.

It is the Navy though, and things change on a dime. By the time you get here things will probably have changed.

By the way bkidd1, you should fill out your profile prior to posting so we can get an idea of who you are. Good luck and congratulations on your selection. Were you just pro-rec'd or FS'd?

ccxc

bkidd1--you just got selected for SNA? Is that with the Marines or Navy? There is no air slots till the summer for the Marine Corps.

bkidd1

navy... october 2010 ocs board....thanks for the answers everyone...so basically if your married they try and place you at whiting is that the concensus.

Sorry I didnt fill out my profile sooner...didnt realize it was such a No..No

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, the consensus is that you'll go wherever they need you to go that week. Don't base any plans on what's being done at the moment...it'll change in a heartbeat if the pots of money need balancing.

81montedriver

pilot
navy... october 2010 ocs board....thanks for the answers everyone...so basically if your married they try and place you at whiting is that the concensus.

Sorry I didnt fill out my profile sooner...didnt realize it was such a No..No

I'm married and before I got to Pensacola, all of my buddies told me that since I was married I would be staying at Whiting. I was told that was a standard practice. Well I ended up going to Vance. Some jackhole in the office at Pensacola was trying to make an example of me by saying that not just single guys will be getting sent to Vance.

It ended up being a great experience and I would do it all over again if I had to. You just have to be aware not to put all your eggs in one basket. Even though you are Navy, you will still be sent where bodies are needed.

Nonetheless, wherever you are sent, you will end up getting some great flight instruction and having a good time in the off hours.