• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Made it through OCS and now I'm heading down to P-cola to check in sometime this week (skipping IFS since I have some prior flight experience). I am curious about any pointers people can offer about checking in. It seems pretty straight forward, but I'll take any current advice people are willing to offer. I also have a few specific questions:

Orders say wear khakis to check in. Do we wear combi-covers (White or Khaki) or garrison covers to check-in? Also, am I going to get beat up if I wear brown shoes already, or do I have to wear my SWO shoes still?

Why would you wear a white combo cover with Khakis? Wear the garrison cover. You will not get beat up if you wear brown shoes, there are many threads dedicated to that topic. Relax, you are already nuking this way too much. Points for checking in: look sharp, be on time, act like a professional. That's it.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Please wear your khaki combo cover...oh god please do it. And come find me while you are wearing it.

Otherwise, check-in is a breeze. Nothing to sweat unless you caught the HIV after OCS.....

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
If you go to the BOQ for your orders stamped..make sure you get the girl to do it...I heard the dude at the BOQ will sometimes stamp that their is space available in the 'Q and could maybe pose BAH problems trying to find a place in town. Possibly not true...but if you see the dude, just turn around and come back later when the chick is there. This was just gouge passed down to me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Please wear your khaki combo cover...oh god please do it.

There was an epidemic of khaki combo cover wear in my NROTC unit during my senior year. Nothing looked douchier than a company of mids in khakis, with 2 dudes in combo covers sticking out like a sore thumb. To the OCS grad, please do not perpetuate this gayness :)

And @ otto.....I agree with what you said, and that was pretty true during our timeframes. What I am hearing lately about selections/budgets/needs of the Navy have been in line with what VINNYNY stated. I would not want to be in API right now, or be the guy who just scrapes by with the minimum. I think we are going to see pretty soon here that the status quo of "minimums" will be changing. Just conjecture certainly, but the hints have been thrown out there in recent months in the tracoms.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When it rains do not wear your all weather jacket, combo cover and black shoes....or if you cannot help yourself, and upon entering the building, you carry your cover over your forearm with your fingers gripping the edge of the bill 'OCS style. I will request emergency leave, drive down from Corpus just to slap you and then leave.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I saw a SNA wearing his khaki combo cover the other day at NSE. I almost got in a wreck. I didn't even know you guys still had those.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The point I'm trying to convey is that "good enough" won't be good enough for much longer. Merely posting good numbers won't guarantee a candidate that he/she will get the chance to earn wings--professionalism, character, and attitude will come into play as well. I brief incoming students on the first day that they are about to become part of an elite community--that community is going to get a lot more selective. So, if wearing wings is important to you, start proving it on day one and don't let up until you put it on the deck after your first combat mission.

How does one quantify and grade these things in flight school other than by offing the OLQ idiots like is already happening? There are no explicit leadership exercises in flight school the way there was at TBS, and fitreps are unobserved. I can't think of anything besides handing out pink slips for things that should only require an ass chewing followed by smartly carrying on.

nzachman

my last day in the pool im going to wear my khaki combo cover, brown shoes, leather flight jacket, aviators, and a white scarf just to be "that guy." should be fun and will post some pics.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How does one quantify and grade these things in flight school other than by offing the OLQ idiots like is already happening? There are no explicit leadership exercises in flight school the way there was at TBS, and fitreps are unobserved. I can't think of anything besides handing out pink slips for things that should only require an ass chewing followed by smartly carrying on.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think VINNY means that SH grades aren't going to save you from a terrible attitude and lack of professionalism......just as struggling in some area can be overcome by having a good attitude and being professional. I've seen it both ways both here and in primary.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
my last day in the pool im going to wear my khaki combo cover, brown shoes, leather flight jacket, aviators, and a white scarf just to be "that guy." should be fun and will post some pics.

I'm all about that shit...I was even about to put a brown shoes only sign at the entrance to flight management. However, I figured since I was at the bottom of the naval aviator food chain and the fact we have too many officers, I decided my JO/ready room humor would best be suited for a couple months after I check into my first fleet squadron.

I would wait then to start the shennanigans, but that's just me. I've come to the conclusion that JOPA is a myth until you're out of the TRACOM.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...SH grades aren't going to save you from a terrible attitude and lack of professionalism......just as struggling in some area can be overcome by having a good attitude and being professional. I've seen it both ways both here and in primary.

More like, the days of letting Ensign shenanigans slide are pretty much over.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
More like, the days of letting Ensign shenanigans slide are pretty much over.

That was what I understood from what was said as well. Stealing pirates, shooting birds, and in general being a shitbag will now have real world percussions. Keep your nose clean and preform and you are on the right path. It also scared a lot of people into Vance from what I've heard...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It also scared a lot of people into Vance from what I've heard...

As in they didn't trust themselves to go to big boy flight school and not get in trouble? Or just that they thought they would attrite if they didn't volunteer for Vance?

nzachman

^^^ It is just that people are anxious to start flight school and don't know how to enjoy a 6 month paid vacation.

Seriously, some people just can't enjoy a nice view, a cigar, and a brewski for fvcks sake.