• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Basic School. Research for Book

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Remember three things from TBS that you will use in the future:

1. Land nav
2. How to put your uniforms together.
3. Don't have sex with other peoples wives and/or enlisted girls.

I've had to remind several lieutenants about one of the above areas.

They are no longer Marines, but they probably can do land nav and put together their uniforms well enough.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Basically, the weekdays are filled with soul crushing boredom if you're in class. If you're in the field it's soul crushing and hilarious second lieutenant leadership mixed with boredom. If it's the weekend it's time for D.C. I actually enjoyed much of TBS, but I was an air contract and didn't have to care too much.

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
They're on to me...
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt...snorting-koolaid-mix-20110316,0,5912918.story

Don't let that post fool you--I'm definitely not enjoying 18 hour work days that accomplish 4 hours of work or getting treated like I'm a five-year-old. I'm simply saying that ranking your friend last in the platoon (great guy, bad Marine) is one of the hardest things about this place second to dealing with people who are scared to think for themselves.

I'll stop before I dig this hole any deeper.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm simply saying that ranking your friend last in the platoon (great guy, bad Marine) is one of the hardest things about this place second to dealing with people who are scared to think for themselves.

I didn't do it. Everyone got rated alphabetically. If the SPC wanted dirt he should have been there to see it himself. My SPC didn't like me, I still made it to primary.

And how does a TBS Lt know what a good or bad Marine is?

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
They're on to me...
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt...snorting-koolaid-mix-20110316,0,5912918.story

Don't let that post fool you--I'm definitely not enjoying 18 hour work days that accomplish 4 hours of work or getting treated like I'm a five-year-old. I'm simply saying that ranking your friend last in the platoon (great guy, bad Marine) is one of the hardest things about this place second to dealing with people who are scared to think for themselves.

The judgement on who will be a good Marine leader or bad Marine leader can be pretty faulty... for example after R-11 we were debriefed by an 0302 Capt, this Captain was praised by our SPC and ran a self proclaimed 15 min 3 mile. But during his debrief he referred to the low ASVAB scores among the enlisted, saying "Do you want LCPL Schmuck with a 30 ASVAB score hinging mission accomplishment" all the while several of his NCO's looked on, you could read the look of disgust on their faces as he spoke.... shining example of leadership by belittling your subordinates and teaching a bunch of Lt's in the process that its ok.... but he was most likely #1 in his TBS class, judging from his rep among other officers......

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
dtxx said:
the Marine is f'ing better than everyone.
Don't let that post fool you--I'm definitely not enjoying 18 hour work days that accomplish 4 hours of work or getting treated like I'm a five-year-old. ....one of the hardest things about this place second to dealing with people who are scared to think for themselves.
So you're saying being ineffiecient, getting treated like a five year old and not thinking for yourself makes a Marine "f'ing better than everyone"????

phrogpilot73

this Captain was praised by our SPC and ran a self proclaimed 15 min 3 mile. .... shining example of leadership by belittling your subordinates and teaching a bunch of Lt's in the process that its ok.... but he was most likely #1 in his TBS class, judging from his rep among other officers......
There's your problem right there. 15 min 3 mile. My biggest complaint about the Marine Corps has always been that it puts too much stock in the PFT/CFT. They'd rather promote a crappy leader with a 1st Class PFT/CFT than a stellar leader with a 3rd Class PFT/CFT. PT is revered so much, that it influences what should be a relatively objective evaluation of someone.

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
dtxz as a fellow TBS lieutenant and no experience outside of being an NCO for a couple years.... I learned something profound from a great leader in my past.... our job as officer's is to remain objective to the surrounding establishment (hint a little cynicism) at the same time showing a united front to our subordinates as a decision is made (hint to try and prevent cynicism among them..). Once we lose the objectiveness to judge from the inside the institution we serve, and become dick s***ing pawns, we begin to see every decision that institution makes as right, i.e. gundecking reports because its been ok'd for the past decade....

I will shut up now... I just really wish more of my peers realized this before checking into their units after being brainwashed by TBS.....

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ Not really, just messing around with dtxz's earlier comment. It's a slow day stuck in the hotel waiting for my flight tonight. It wasn't directed at texags either, more of a general musing.